PDA

View Full Version : ATSA/ACPO Assessment.

DonDave
13th Nov 2005, 10:57
Hey guys,

Ok, i have an interview in West Drayton on thursday for an ACPO. Apparently there is an assessment and if you pass that you have an interview later the same day. However, i have to admit i have no idea what to expect.

I have done the ATCO assessments and interviews twice now (i want an assistants job for a while before do my third and final attempt) does anyone know if the interviews and assesments are similar??? will i need to brush up on maths and those boxes??

If anyone has any ideas they will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Dave

arthur j negus esq
13th Nov 2005, 11:39
My brother recently undertook the ACPO selection at LTCC. He said that there was a simulator test whereby they put you in the input position and see if you can manage simply sim tasks. But don't worry as before you start they will demonstrate how to use the ACE computer, followed by you having a go, its simply stuff, starts off with single commands, eg, level changes, headings etc. Building up to multiple commands.

Expect number/ letter checking tests, and simply maths equations.

Not sure about the interview the same day, my brother had his the following week.

Best of Luck

SilentHandover
13th Nov 2005, 16:32
The assessment that I was given when I became an ACPO was as described above, it included some RT to remember to speak clearly.
When I was interviewed there were questions about aircraft types and performance. Simple stuff, how many engines does an A340 have? How fast do aeroplanes fly? that kinda thing. Know the phonetic alphabet, we had to spell our name in it.
Learn some stuff about NATS it always goes down well.

Flaps ten please
13th Nov 2005, 17:41
All the above sounds good advice.
We always said if you have computer skills and an interest in aviation you will do well. A lot of it is common sense, too.
When i joined they had a cassette tape playing lists of numbers that we then had to identify from a short multiple choice list.
Good idea working as an ATSA first, gives you an excellent springboard into ATC.
Good luck on Thursday!

ps hi arthur j negus, hows the little woman?

arthur j negus esq
13th Nov 2005, 19:37
she has left me this weekend, gone to Glasgow. Had to work so couldn't go!!! How's life in the multiplex on the south coast?

PMS
27th Nov 2005, 22:03
DD
Hope your testing went well?

DonDave
28th Nov 2005, 07:58
Not heard anything yet so presume didnt get it.

Have an interview for teh same job at bournemouth on wednesday.
unfortunately i know little to nothing about hurn airport. Does anybody here know? What their ACPO's do? is it just training for teh airport itself or do they train cadets in the college? Whats teh computer system called?? eek?!

need to get swattin!

if anybody knows anything about hurn or their ACPO's it would be greatly appreciated!

(also, thanks for all the help with last one everyone, was excellent help!)

arthur j negus esq
29th Nov 2005, 08:43
Dondave,

The ACPO's at Hurn work for NATS which is separate from Bournemouth airport.

ACPOs act as pseudo pilots to train air traffic controllers. Although working under the name DAT&S the facility at Bournemouth is effectively seen as two units, the College where Trainee air traffic controllers are trained, and the Realtime sims, which are used for several purposes including simulating airspace changes.

The computer systems used are Realtime, and at the College end they mainly use ACE for the approach radar and Area Radar courses.

revise in a similar way to that for the LTCC vacancy. Have a knowlede of aircraft and UK airspace.

And Best of luck. Don't worry too much that you have not heard, thats normal!

PM Dances with Boffins for more info, he's the man in know.

DonDave
29th Nov 2005, 11:50
Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Dances with Boffins
29th Nov 2005, 12:06
Any rumours about my level of knowledge should be treated with the utmost caution. I'm wearing odd socks today.

ukatco_535
29th Nov 2005, 15:13
But they look damned nifty sat there on your ears, all the same :D

arthur j negus esq
29th Nov 2005, 15:18
DWB

Have you still got the pencils up the nose? Still saying "Wibble"?

Dances with Boffins
30th Nov 2005, 11:38
If only it were only the pencils and "Wibble".

DwB:cool: