PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

happyvanchai
7th Nov 2005, 09:58
I'm a student controller now undergoing aerodrome control simulator training, and would like to seek some advice to improve my R/T techniques. I have memorized the standard phraseology, but sometimes I got them mix up during the exercises.

VectorLine
7th Nov 2005, 10:08
Practise, practise, practise.....

At home, draw yourself an airfield map and use some coins as aircraft. Move the 'aircraft' around the airfield and circuit while issuing R/T instructions.

Even better, get a few friends together and each of you take a turn at being controller/aircraft/vehicles. You can then help each other with situations and phraseology.

Good Luck

VL

rej
7th Nov 2005, 10:25
Vectorline is spot on

If you have a phraseology handbook (not sure if your civilian school produce one like they do at CATCS, the military school in the UK) record the aircraft transmission and leave a gap sufficiently long enough for you to reply, then record the correct response. Play it in the car, in the kitchen, on the toilet etc and compare your efforts with the correct RT. Keep it playing everywhere until:
a. you know it and
b. you feel comfortable using the RT.

sandstorm inferno
7th Nov 2005, 14:52
THINK

TRANSMIT

TALK

Pierre Argh
8th Nov 2005, 09:53
Practice.... it's abit like learning a script?

Think, switch, talk... good advise, you'll quickly find that you'll speed up.

Don't get too hung up it being a radio... you can use a telephone can't you? Standard phraseology covers essential phrases (and must be used for them) but cannot hope to cover everything you've got to say... and for those messages just imagine you're using a telephone?

Midland 331
8th Nov 2005, 12:25
Buy a cheap scanner and listen!

I end up asking my kids to "expedite", and "confirm ready immediate departure" out of habit.

Very sad...

Jerricho
8th Nov 2005, 13:59
Tee Hee.

I end up asking my kids to "expedite", and "confirm ready immediate departure" out of habit.

Mrs J slaps me upside the head if I tell her to "Stand by". :} :ouch:

Midland 331
8th Nov 2005, 14:49
Others...

(to dawdling teenage daughter and occasional "non-radio" wife")

"Can you advise your intentions on reaching the kitchen, please?"

"Get moving now or you'll miss your slot".

Plus, the use of the emphatic "over?" when I'm expecting a reply (a good one for ignorant offspring)

And when we need some peace..

"vacate next right, expedite, please."

There is a wonderful concision to aviation english....listening to the Heathrow ground chappies was rich entertainment.

got caught
8th Nov 2005, 15:49
Kids think I'm stupid everytime I shout "clear prop" before starting the astra. Its just habit, even after all these years!

Midland 331
8th Nov 2005, 16:55
Ha!

Just the same when I started my rotary lawn mower!

(well, it had a kind of prop....).

The more I ponder on this, the more I drag up.

Before using the toilet in our caravan (trailer), I ask each of the family specifically and in turn "do you need to use...", as if reporting significant change in RVR/runway/braking action/etc, that requires positive acknowledgement from every one on the frequency. It works a treat. And, no, I don't say "caution turbulent wake" when I emerge...

And "transmit for D/F" is used to find out where folks are in the house.

Back on topic:- listening to the R/T is an excellent way to learn it.....

ok1
8th Nov 2005, 18:57
Practise, practise, practise!

see www.ivao.org or www.vatsim.net

ok

kontrolor
8th Nov 2005, 20:22
when I was in Bailbrook College, Bath for my training, there was a sign in one of the pubs:

Engage your brain, before putting mouth in gear

:)

Midland 331
9th Nov 2005, 05:59
http://www.flickr.com/photos/friday/41135528/in/set-905143/

!!

happyvanchai
10th Nov 2005, 10:12
With the help of all you guys' advice hope that I can fix the problem very soon. Thanks a lot! :ok:

pilot_will
11th Nov 2005, 00:27
"Kids think I'm stupid everytime I shout "clear prop" before starting the astra. Its just habit, even after all these years!"

haha!

best of luck with the ATC course, happyvanchai.

yakkity yak
28th Nov 2005, 08:16
happyvanchai

I do not want to appear to be discriminatory here, but I must assume you are of Chinese origin, and that English is not your native language.

I understand English is not the easiest language to learn for non native English speakers. I have a problem with memorising because it means you most likely do not fully understand the meanings of the words (phrases) that you are putting together, and therefore not fully understanding what information you are trying to convey.

Therefore when a different situation arises that was not in the course sim you will not know what to say to extract the information you require because it was not memorised and you will not be able to ad lib (make it up as you go) when required.

Your best bet is for you and your friends to surround yourself with native English speakers (preferably who are in aviation related disciplines) for as long and as often as required until you feel totally comfortable with English

Cheers

radargeekgirl
28th Nov 2005, 09:49
On course we found the group approach worked best, with someone doing the "controlling" someone as "pilot" and someone else "supervising".

It makes it easier if you have one person just checking for mistakes. If everyone is role playing you can get caught up and miss errors which then become standard. If you do find a phrase that you struggle with go over it until you get it right then continue.

If you were actually controlling you would need to get the message across to the pilots and there will be times when you will make mistakes but as long as you don't let yourself get flustered you will be ok. Good luck.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Nov 2005, 09:55
It's such a shame that it's illegal to listen in to R/T transmissions in the UK because listening to real controllers and pilots working is undoubtedly the best way to learn.

I know somebody not a million miles away who did precisely that and it stood him in very good stead.....