PDA

View Full Version : OATs modular IR places

Glide Perfectionist
19th Oct 2005, 10:32
Just as I thought that the end was in sight, and having done all my training at OAT so far with the objective of keeping my 'file' at one FTO for my final report, there has been a change in company policy with regard to the way modular courses are handled. I was going to try to do my IR soonish, but I have now been given a date of May:{ , sadly all modular places are off till then (outside chance of a place in the new year).

Shall I wait?

Grass strip basher
19th Oct 2005, 13:25
If that is the way OATs repay customer loyalty then thats a very sad state of affairs.... you have my sympathy.... as for waiting 6-7 months to start an IR only you can answer that....

Parson
19th Oct 2005, 14:48
That's out of order. Don't know the fine detail of these 'new' modular courses, but you can't put your training on hold like that. Give Bristol Flying Centre a call and I'm sure they'll help you out. Good school with some very experienced instructors in a relaxed and friendly environment. CFI is ex-OATS, and their IR pass rate is as good.

m333
19th Oct 2005, 15:43
Why am I not surprised, to put a loyal customer on hold for 6 - 7 months is :mad: and :yuk: .
I would go to Bristol if I where you . You will have 2 schools with your file but at least it is two well know schools.

Glide Perfectionist
19th Oct 2005, 20:06
Obviously opinion is that this situation is unacceptable.

So far, the 'front' office at OAT have been superb trying to allocate me a course. I did have to hold out on a Sept/Oct start date due to work, now I wish I had not.

As I stated above there is a possibilty of a start date in Jan, but this is unconfirmed, meanwhile, the clock is ticking.

I was accutely aware on the CPL how quickly skills become rusty. I did not find it a 'walk in the park' by any means and the thought of skill fade before the ME/IR concerns me.

Having thought about waiting until May, 6-7 months is a long time to wait, especially if I want to be semi-employable by next August. Sadly I will have to move to an alternate school.

finals24
19th Oct 2005, 21:52
That is a disgrace!

I suggest trying Wycombe Air Centre. I did my CPL and IR there last year. Good record of 1st time passes (including me!). Very friendly atmosphere and the head of training is ex OAT.

My IR was done and dusted inside 5 weeks and I did 30 hours on the twin which was still much cheaper than OAT.

Good luck whichever option you choose.