PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor Insurance

sps1013
4th Oct 2005, 14:33
Just looking to find out an answer to a question that so far has got many varied responses...

"Do Flying Instructors need their own personal insurance?"

In particular the fact there are some products on the market that cover you for accidental damage, loss of earnings, the case of if your student takes you to court for an accident or incident etc.

I notice that there is a new product coming for just this particular cover.

Your comments would be most appreciated.

sps1013

sps1013
8th Oct 2005, 13:15
I take it from the lack of responses then that this subject is new to all of you?!

If anyone decides to post a reply then I will be grateful

Banjo
8th Oct 2005, 19:32
What new product is coming? Details of company offering it if you have them would be interesting

vetflyer
8th Oct 2005, 21:06
Think it is organised by AOPA , check their website.

cheers

sps1013
9th Oct 2005, 16:51
I believe it is BESSO who are offering this scheme.

As far as I know it was something they ran a very long time ago but have now decided to bring it back onto the scene.

I seem to recall the advert and information in Flight Training News about 2 - 3 weeks ago.

Hope this helps, figures were (DONT QUOTE ME!) around £180

P.Pilcher
11th Oct 2005, 11:12
My club insures all instructors and has been doing so for as long as I can remember - and that's nearly 40 years.

P.P.

D 129
11th Oct 2005, 21:47
My employer advises that we have public liability insurance.

So if someone was hurt whilst in my care, they might try and sue the company, but as an agent of the company I am not personally liable. But I am also told that if an injured party (or relative) sued on a joint and severally liable (?) basis then they might come after me too.

Should I make out the house completely over to my wife before I instruct another day ? !

Also I know about a case where the instructor had to get the advice of a solicitor, was absolved, and yet was many hundreds of pounds out of pocket with the employer not interested.

I'll be looking into the insurance mentioned in Flight Training ... My employer isn't keen on buying that for us either ...

D129

mad_jock
11th Oct 2005, 22:27
Wasn't there an instructor at BAe in Prestwick sued a few years ago? After an Arab student killed himself.

BAe wasn't accountable it was the instructor that signed him out that got cuaght for it.

MJ

distaff_beancounter
12th Oct 2005, 07:40
There is another thread running about whether instructors should be treated as self-emplyed for tax/NIC purposes.

So, a flying school is legally obliged to carry employers' liability insurance, which cover employees. Also employers are usually liable for any negligence by their employees, which could cover a student being injured due to a error by an instructor.

BUT, where does that leave a "self-employed" instructor?

Mintflavour
14th Oct 2005, 11:21
Here is something from AOPA that maybe of interest.

INSTRUCTOR LIABILITY INSURANCE

available to AOPA members only

Limit of Indemnity £1,000,000
Does not cover instructor bodily injury or death, just his or her liability should a claim be made against them

Option 1: Coverage only whilst instructor is on the ground and the student is solo.

Option 2: Coverage as above but also includes the instructor whilst in the aircraft.

Cover only available for UK instructors.

Fixed wing or rotor wing aircraft - excludes microlights, balloons and gliders.

Covers aircraft designed to carry no more than seven passengers.

The scheme runs from 15th July – 14th July annually, hence premiums scale down at certain points in the year (quarterly).

Option 1: £135.00 + 5% IPT

Option 2: £180.00 + 5% IPT

As a part time instructor it looks like another expence to make my time that I give up for others closer to a loss. How do other part time instructors feel about this and who do you think should pay?