PDA

View Full Version : CAA SRG answers to questions

blagger
1st Oct 2005, 16:42
I don't know if anyone knows someone/a way of getting the CAA to discuss instructor rating issues. I have a couple of questions - despite reading LASORS many times. I have tried writing to/calling/emailing the CAA multiple times, but all I get back is 'go and read LASORS' and often photocopied/attached copies of LASORS Annex H. I'm not going to argue with whoever or get aggrieved at the answer - but I would like the chance to ask the question and get a definitive answer!

My questions are (if anyone has got any gen about them):

- To put an FI rating on a PPL, LASORS says a 'PPL(A) holder should have 150hrs PIC' and '200hrs flight time in aeroplanes' and later says '30hrs must be on SEP'. So, does this mean I can use TMG and SEP PIC time to make up the 150hrs? I have about 100hrs PIC on SEP and 500hrs PIC on TMG.

- I have an RAF CFS A2 QGI category (with about 500hrs instructional) on the Vigilant motorglider (a TMG) and a CRI(SE) rating. However, if I read LASORS correctly, the only concession I can get towards the FI rating is the teaching and learning element of the ground study. I don't expect large scale concessions, but a few hours off or some thing would be nice.

I think the CAA used to do something where you could submit your experience etc.. for an assessment and they would give you a tailored answer - do they still do this or did JAR-FCL kill it off?

Many Thanks if anyone can help.

BEagle
1st Oct 2005, 17:02
Q1. To put an FI rating on a PPL, LASORS says a 'PPL(A) holder should have 150hrs PIC' and '200hrs flight time in aeroplanes' and later says '30hrs must be on SEP'. So, does this mean I can use TMG and SEP PIC time to make up the 150hrs? I have about 100hrs PIC on SEP and 500hrs PIC on TMG.

A1. LASORS actually states 'shall have', not 'should have'. This means that the flight times are mandatory. Both TMGs and SEP aircraft are considered to be 'aeroplanes' in this context, hence you would appear to have the qualifying flight time; don't forget the long cross-country and SEP recency requirements though.

Q2. I have an RAF CFS A2 QGI category (with about 500hrs instructional) on the Vigilant motorglider (a TMG) and a CRI(SE) rating. However, if I read LASORS correctly, the only concession I can get towards the FI rating is the teaching and learning element of the ground study. I don't expect large scale concessions, but a few hours off or some thing would be nice.

A2. Yes, the only concessions are as stated. Not that this does not absolve you from needing CPL level knowledge - i.e. to pass the JAR-FCL CPL(A) exams.

Q3. I think the CAA used to do something where you could submit your experience etc.. for an assessment and they would give you a tailored answer - do they still do this or did JAR-FCL kill it off?

A3. The whole purpose of LASORS was to avoid the need to contact the CAA over things which you can read up for yourself. If you have a really unusual case, then perhaps if you make a direct request for consideration you might be successful. But you appear to be a relatively low time PPL holder who has done a fair bit of gliding instruction. So I don't personally see how your case would be considered exceptional.

blagger
1st Oct 2005, 17:36
Thanks BEagle - I'm halfway through the CPL ground exams at the moment. I guess I'll probably do the CPL course before FI anyway so will meet the 100hrs PIC if I do it this way anyway.

Whopity
1st Oct 2005, 18:27
The Source Document is JAR-FCL1.335

JAR–FCL 1.335 FI(A) – Pre-requisite requirements (See Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240) (See Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.470)
Before being permitted to begin an approved course of training for a FI(A) rating an applicant shall have:

(a) completed at least 200 hours of flight time of which at least 100 hours shall be as pilot-in-command if holding an ATPL(A) or CPL(A) or 150 hours as pilot-in-command if holding a PPL(A);

(b) met the knowledge requirements for a CPL(A) as set out in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.470;

(c) completed at least 30 hours on single-engine piston powered aeroplanes of which at least five hours shall have been completed during the six months preceding the pre-entry flight test set out at (f) below;

(d) received at least 10 hours instrument flight instruction of which not more than five hours may be instrument ground time in a FNPT or a flight simulator;

(e) completed at least 20 hours of cross-country flight as pilot-in-command, including a flight totalling not less that 540 km (300 nm) in the course of which full stop landings at two different aerodromes shall be made; and

(f) passed a specific pre-entry flight test with an FI qualified as in JAR–FCL 1.330(f) based upon the proficiency check as set out in Appendix 3 to JAR–FCL 1.240 within the six months preceding the start of the course. The flight test will assess the ability of the applicant to undertake the course.

johnnypick
3rd Oct 2005, 06:15
I've had the same sort of problem with CAA, E-mailing them seems to take for ever and they normal don't read the e-mail properly and then just quote LASORS anyway. I got my answer on the phone from them, an answer that isn't in LASORS or at least isn't that clear in LASORS.
I think there will always be a need to contact the CAA even with LASORS around. Keep calling them, i'm sure you'll get your answer, eventually.

Whirlybird
3rd Oct 2005, 08:26
If you know the relevant person, or even someone who just might be involved, email an INDIVIDUAL at the CAA. Most of their email addresses seem to take the form [email protected]. The few times I've tried it, that's worked for me anyway

Personally I'd be wary of answers given on the phone by the CAA - different people seem to give you different answers, and you've got no written proof of any of it. :eek: