PDA

View Full Version : Training At Two Schools?

TJF97
27th Sep 2005, 13:24
From an instructors point of view, is it possible for a student to train at two schools at the same time?

My situation is that my instructor is part time, he works a shift pattern where every two weeks he can do four hours of tuition with me. I didn't know if it were possible to go to another school durring the two week break and do some extra training?

Apart form instructor continuity what other issues shold I consider?

TJF97

unfazed
27th Sep 2005, 15:24
TJF97 - It is possible to train at 2 different FTO's

They need to synchronise your training and you will need to ensure that you co-ordinate things in a way that suits you and them.

1 - Take copies of training notes from each flight so that you/they are aware of progress.

2 - You will need to be very clear about what you have done and what is left to do (suggest you obtain a copy of the JAR PPL Syllabus from Pooley's)

3 - Be up front and ensure that everybody understands what is happening, why and when. Keep communicating effectively with both places and both instructors (do not play one off against the other "well Joe said I can land the aircraft and I only mess up landings when I am with you".

On a personal note you may find that your instructors may loose interest in managing your overall training (human nature and difference in style and personal preferences for how things are done) - so better to stick with one if you can. Good standardisation notes can help (Pooley's have these).

hugh flung_dung
27th Sep 2005, 17:08
As unfazed has already said there's nothing to strictly prevent this - but it may not be to your best advantage. Standardisation within a school may be better than between schools so I would propose approaching the CFI at your current school and asking to be assigned a back-up instructor.

HFD

Whopity
29th Sep 2005, 07:03
Remember the School (RF) is required to certify that you have completed a recognised course of instruction; if you have only completed half a course at each school, who certifies what? It will inevitably take more hours as most schools will check everything for themselves.

If it were a commercial course, JAR-FCL requires that you complete "a course of instruction under the supervision of a Head of Training" Two half courses does not equal 1 approved course!

idle stop
3rd Oct 2005, 20:00
I came across a similar problem recently.
The answer is to talk to both RTF nicely and agree that one of them will submit the PPL application. This RTF then must, by the time the PPL application is submitted, put the other RTF's instructor on its own list of instructors. Just update the apprpropriate sheet of the form and fax to PLD at the CAA with a covering note for the update.
Voila! Simple, legal, as recommended by the CAA even. Suggest student has custody of own training file and presents it when appearing for lessons at RTF A or RTF B.