PDA

View Full Version : What kind of night "authorisation"?

Keygrip
23rd Sep 2005, 12:53
Question posed to me recently - an applicant for an IMC rating normally requires 15 hours of training (minimums, of course).

The holder of a UK Night Rating is, technically, allowed a five hour (is it five?, no time to check Lasors as I type) credit towards that training.

The holder of a JAA Night Qualification is NOT credited with the time.

I know the reasons why - but HOW DO YOU TELL?

If you look at the licence it just says "Holder allowed to operate at night". Doesn't say whether that was issued as a rating or a qualification.

It's probably all academic when it comes to training hours required - but that's not the point.

scubawasp
23rd Sep 2005, 13:07
I suppose if their licence is CAA PPL valid for Life then as far as my feelings go, they get their discounted IMC hours (as they have done at least 4 hours EX19). The other licence will be JAA PPL valid until XXXX, so the full IMC course.

Although I am sure someone will correct me and say that now its called a Night Qulaification thats incorrect?

Whopity
23rd Sep 2005, 18:27
As there is no such thing as a free lunch the credit was for instrument time allready flown.

The IMC rating requires 15 hours of dual instrument training to include 10 hours of flight by sole reference to instruments. If they have these requirements, they qualify whether they were obtained on the IMC course or the night rating course. A candidate with only a night qualification will not have gained them whilst training for that qualification.

Its all down to logbook evidence of the minimum requirements for the IMC rating however gained.

Keygrip
23rd Sep 2005, 19:13
Its all down to logbook evidence of the minimum requirements for the IMC rating however gained. That's the answer I was expecting to see. Thanx.

FlyingForFun
24th Sep 2005, 19:05
Out of interest, where is it written that the holder of a UK Night Rating is allowed a 5 hour credit? I thought that rule went out when JAR came in, regardless of whether you had a Night Rating or a Night Qualification, but I'm happy to be corrected if that's wrong.

And as for the instrument flying done on the Night Rating counting towards the IMC minima, would that still apply if the instructor who carried out the Night Rating training was not qualified to instruct for applied instrument training?

FFF
-----------------

Whopity
29th Sep 2005, 00:16
The IMC Rating Application Form FCL99 SRG1125.

*Has completed a recognised syllabus of instrument flying training for the IMC Rating
or
*Is the holder of a Night Rating, and has completed a recognised syllabus of instrument flying training for the IMC Rating less 3 hours of
the basic stage
*Is the holder of the AOPA Radio Navigation Certificate and has completed a recognised syllabus of instrument flying training for the IMC
Rating, less 5 hours of the applied stage
*Has Logbook evidence showing successful completion on an approach and let down using an aid of a different type from that used
during the test
*Passed on the date specified blow, the flight test and examination for the issue of an IMC Rating conducted by me to the standards laid
down

Interestingly you do not need an applied IF qualification to teach the 10 hours IF on a CPL Course! Because it does not include Instrument approaches.