PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS working in B747-400

PULL UP PULL UP
9th Sep 2005, 20:49
I have a PDA iPAQ hx 2750, with a bluetooth connection to my GPS Mouse (ADAPT)
In my car or in a glider it works perfectly, however NOT behind a B747-400 cockpit window...
Who has a bluetooth GPS which really works on board, through a cockpit window?

BOAC
9th Sep 2005, 21:29
NB Bluetooth has nothing to do with your problem. It is due to the composition of the windows plus the limited unscreened view of the sky.

In the 737 Classic the GPS works at the rear of the rear window, but I have not found the spot in the NG yet.

Dehavillanddriver
10th Sep 2005, 07:27
BOAC - same spot as the classic - Captains side anyway!

My bluetooth GPS works fine when taxying or stopped at the gate, but go fast and it won't provide a lat/long - it'l track the satellites but won't come up with a nav solution.

Something to do with a G/S filter internally in mine.

BOAC
10th Sep 2005, 08:18
Mine works fine in the Classic 73, and I can watch the FIRs (or the motorways (depending on which programme) whizz by!:D

LGB
11th Sep 2005, 11:41
SO how about the 747 Classic - can't seem to find a single spot in the cockpit where it can get a signal (by looking, not testing). It seems the heat film covers all windows, even the rear ones. From the cabin windows, no problem however! Too long chord required though ...

eckhard
11th Sep 2005, 22:35
My Magellan SporTrack designed for hiking/boating, etc., works just fine in the bottom/rear of the rear window of our 747-400s on either side. The cup holder makes a useful support, too.

Although not intended for aviation use, it agrees with the aircraft instruments to within 1 knot and 1 degree (at 500kts!). The only posssible confusion is that it displays 'heading' when it really means 'track'.

I find it works best if it already knows where it is when you get onboard. Even in the sweet spot the signals can be weak and it can take 20 minutes to work out where it is if you switch it on in the cruise.

LGB
12th Sep 2005, 08:14
Eckhard, thanks, I'll try that!

shut that door
12th Sep 2005, 18:37
Has anyone tried the TomTom Go 300? Just downloaded the Atlantic nautical data, brill! Plug in the SD card and choose Eastern seaboard airports. Follow the big red arrow and your there!

Pull up........Sat nav (internal) will not work in the 74 as they have athermic screens

FearlessFreep
12th Sep 2005, 23:57
Why would you need a handheld GPS in a full glass NG aircraft? Why would you need it in a -400?

In some of the other aircraft I might understand it.

I use a Lowrance Airmap 500 in the 74 Classic. I use the hard wired external antenna with the suction cup mount that came with it. I place it about midpoint in the rear window (L3) towards the bottom of the pane.

It works most of the time but on occasion will lose a signal.

One thing that I notice with these little handhelds is that when your flying along at 450 Knots when you lose a signal and try to re-acquire it the unit's are a bit dumb and will not easily re-find themselves under the satellite constellation. I usually end up having to do a "Auto Search" to re-acquire reception/position. Might have something to do with moving relatively quickly for a unit that was not specfically built for that purpose.

The Lowrance is a good little unit and I got it for $350.00 USD.

It serves it's purpose, which is backing up "For Reference Only" the ancient and at times cantankerous Mighty Ol' Delco/Litton Carousel IV-A. (There is one on display in the Technical Museum in Munich - I wonder if it's still serviceable?) Using the GPS I can closely monitor the performance of the Carousel while it is dual DME updating.

Try flying with 9 manually entered lat/long waypoints, winging your way across Europe, in today's congested and complex airspace structure, continually punching DME updates in the whole time. If your lucky you won't transit France where the controller will give you direct to a waypoint that is not on your flight release or filed route. As you fumble through the spaghetti on the High Charts searching in vain for a point at least close to your routing, in the middle of the night as your plying your way in the Flight Levels (FL300 & greater), the controller screaming at you why your not direct after receiving your clearance 30 seconds ago, I mean after all he had to repeat it to you 3 times and those were all done using the phonetic alphabet! You then come to find out that the waypoint they gave you is a point published only on the Low Charts. Go figure!

Those are some of the reasons I have the handheld.

Having a handheld GPS in an all glass aircraft is just a flat out a waste of money and a distraction. Sorry guys.

Good Luck To Us All!

Lsak
13th Sep 2005, 11:24
Isn't there a warning about electronic devices operating during take-off or landing ?

Or this rule is not applicable to pilots ? :D

(I used my Garmin GPS III+ from a window seat in a 737 classic and worked fine. I haven't tried my new Bluetooth Garmin 10 with my HP 4770 := YET)

LGB
14th Sep 2005, 11:48
I tried it now in the 747 classic, a simple Garmin GPS (not for aviation use) worked on the ramp, when placed at the right hand rearmost window, aft/lower corner. I only tried on the ramp with window heat off - don't know (yet) if it works with window heat on.

Electronic equipment, especially when they contain transmitters/receivers, yes, that's a good one. On a few occasions gadgets have been either proven or accused of influencing items like flight controls, instrument indications, communication etc. To make it simple, these items are forbidden or some of them only allowed typically when the seat belt sign is off. "All electronic devices", does that include my wristwatch? Off course not - so there is a borderline somewhere!

A GPS approved for use in aircraft is not likely to disturb, especielly as it only contains a receiver (and not a transmitter), however, it still emits a weak signal from the receiver circuit, and if you are told to switch it off, your should of course do so, whether or not you think it disturbs anything.

For older aircraft navigating on an INS, a GPS is highly unlikely to influence anything.