PDA

View Full Version : 737-300 0-60MPH in

G-BODD
4th Sep 2005, 22:17
My question is:

How much time does it take to get a 737-300 from 0MPH to 60MPH?

This is on a sunny, dry day with the plane about half full of passengers and fuel. There is also a very light headwind, lets say, around 3 Knots. The plane is taking off on Leeds/Bradford airports runway which is 2250metres. If you want an exact plane then you can use G-CELS of Jet2.

No_Speed_Restriction
4th Sep 2005, 22:49
why?are you planning on playing "chicken" frrom the reciprocal end?

rubik101
4th Sep 2005, 23:48
you would be more impressed by the 60 th 160 mph figure!

enicalyth
6th Sep 2005, 07:22
Forgive me, if I am wrong but from the tone of your question I assume that you are still at school and want to be a pilot some day.

In very broad terms your pilot won't want to takeoff unless at the critical moment if he has to stop, he can do so safely. Which is why aircraft lift off well before the end of the runway on normal flights. In fact, still very broadly speaking, on a cool dry day a worst scenario emergency stop successfully accomplished might only use up 60% of the runway. At its top weight the aircraft might accelerate at 4.5ft/sec/sec and decelerate at 9ft/sec/sec but there are many factors that contribute to the actual figure. Let's stick with that and assume that a lightly laden aircraft will perform 50% better. So it accelerates at 6.75ft/sec/sec.

In that case it takes about 13 secs to reach 60mph, about 22 secs to reach 100mph and about 35 secs to reach 160mph.

You appreciate these are very rough figures indeed.

Whatever your purpose in asking, Good Luck. A lot of my passengers have asked the same sort of thing and I hope you get a great deal of pleasure when it happens to you for the first time too.

Best Rgds

enicalyth

Reverand Lovejoy
6th Sep 2005, 08:07
G-BODD

The initial acceleration of the 737 you describe would probaly be no greater than the warrior you use as a user name. A headwind of that magnetude would make no significant differance in acceleration from stand still. More importantly the engine type and temperature would have a greater influence over runway length and fusealge variant (where mass is equal)

The reason I compare the warrior and 737 (extreme, but bare with me) is because you can imagine it as a full scale car and remote control car. The remote control car would probaly out accelerate the full scale to 20 MPH but after that no comparison. Same for this case. Up to 30-50 probaly the same based on 737 mass.

They're rough figures as the true calculation would indeed require more accurate data, but this should be enough to paint a picture. As mentioned before the 0-60 time isn't required because if you get to 60 real quick you still cant do much with it!!! The 0-160 is a better marker.

The Reverand

G-BODD
6th Sep 2005, 20:12
Yep, it was a pretty random question but my dad has been bugging me to find out.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply though!:ok:

Farrell
6th Sep 2005, 21:14
Ok folks......time to admit that i was a teenager once.

At EIDW there is a road that runs parallel to 10/28 and with my trusty airband on the seat, and a clear view ahead, i raced a Ryanair 737-200 off the blocks.

It's a really bizarre experience - I had it licked up to about 50 mph and then it was over.

Oh well......back to work

Pilot Pete
7th Sep 2005, 09:19
I refer you to Top Gun and the fighter race with the Kawasaki Ninja(?). All over after about 100mph I would guess!!

with my trusty airband on the seat, and a clear view ahead

Sounds like a line from a song!:p

PP

Farrell
7th Sep 2005, 14:14
Yes indeed Pete.....maybe I'm getting into the wrong business!

Although I suppose I'll be writing country songs about losing everything in a few years when I have an fATPL and nothing to show for it but a rusty ole pickup truck and a tired ole dog.

Flap 5
8th Sep 2005, 16:02
Of course it also depends on the take off weight of the 737. At very light weight, stand on the brakes, stabilize the thrust, push thrust levers up to full thrust, release the brakes - now you will get quite impressive acceleration! I expect you are looking at 0 to 60 as that is the standard for cars, but they tend to run out of puff at 150mph or so!