PDA

View Full Version : The Diamond - DA42

Capt_CheeseDick
31st Aug 2005, 13:19
What ever happened to the promising Diamond Twin trainer, that was to come into Australia?
Had alot of interest and seemed like a top option but has slid into obscurity.

27/09
1st Sep 2005, 02:22
The Twin Star equipped with the diesel engines has had a few delays from what I read.

There has been cooling issues with the engines. From reading between the lines the aircraft does not meet the performance figures that Diamond were originally quoting, due to changes required to get adequate cooling. The lastest marketing info that I saw does not contain performance figures.

Also I have read that the single engine performance is is much worse than the average light twin.

They are producing a Lycoming IO360 200HP version as well, this aircraft does have better performance figures.

Other comments are that the airframe is heavy, therefore payload is not that great and cabin space is a bit on the small side.

Perhaps the "old clunkers" that are around are not so bad afer all.

Capt_CheeseDick
6th Sep 2005, 01:59
Okay, thanks for the feedback.
It looked very promising as an "Airline Trainer", especially being all glass.
I recall a proto-type or test model breaking a speed/endurance record across the North Atlantic, about 6 months back?!
:ok:

4SPOOLED
6th Sep 2005, 07:11
Ive flown Diamond DA20's

really nice a/c to fly, over 1000 fpm climb rate, nice layout, if the twin flys anything like that it will a beaut A/C

Oktas8
6th Sep 2005, 09:33
I have never sat in, let alone flown, a DA42. BUT (!) I have flown its sister the DA40, the Diamond Star, which has a similar airframe and the identical engine.

It was humorously described by a local aviation newspaper as "a BMW with a VW engine". That is, it looked great, it felt nice to sit in, it was sleek & had clean lines. However, BROC was about 600fpm at 1000' on a typical day with typical load.

It seemed to be a real hangar queen. Hopefully Diamond have sorted out the electronics and engine management by now.

Although the performance figures I've seen for the DA42 look good, it's good to remember that they were quoting (if memory is correct) 85% power at 15000', cruise speed in TAS. Converting that to a more common 75% at 8000' in IAS and it looked like a tired old PA44 in terms of performance.

cheers,
O8

hydrop
30th Sep 2005, 14:30
Any idea how much this twin star will cost? :cool:

bushy
1st Oct 2005, 01:28
One sales pitch I saw involved flying about 18 hours a day ("cheap twin time at 3 am")
Not very realistic.

HEALY
1st Oct 2005, 06:16
''S/E climb performance worse than average twin''

obviously goes down twice as quick.