PDA

View Full Version : B737-200 Nuetral shift

downwind
24th Aug 2005, 13:54
G'day Guys,

Doing a B737-200 ground school at the moment can some one please explain the function of the nuetral shift!

thank you,

DW.

Fargoo
24th Aug 2005, 14:10
Not a 737 man but from what I remember on other types it's aligning the elevators as the stab moves such that full range of movement is maintained.

If i've got it wrong in this case no doubt someone will come along and shoot me down :ok:

Ahem, slightly wrong. Have Googled it for you and this came up

"Neutral shift

The elevators are commanded to move by operation of the stabilizer through neutral shift rods that connect the two systems. As you trim nose up so the elevators are gradually moved up.

Elevator neutral position relative to stabilizer is determined by stabilizer attitude. The range of elevator neutral shift varies with mach trim actuator position. With the stabilizer at 3 units of trim, the elevator neutral position is 4 degrees down from faired. As the stabilizer leading edge moves down the elevator neutral position moves up. When the stabilizer moves to 10 units of trim, the elevator neutral is at zero degrees, and with the stabilizer at 14 units of trim, the elevator neutral is 2-3/4 degrees up. Elevator maximum travel with the stabilizer at zero units is 20 degrees up and 22 degrees down.
"