PDA

View Full Version : Being an Airline Pilot and instructing part time

raspberry
17th Aug 2005, 17:02
Hi,

I am an Airline Pilot and I want to get back into instructing (PPL) on a part time basis, can anyone tell me if this is frowned upon by the CAA because it affects our duty hours?

R

DFC
17th Aug 2005, 20:26
You are correct to say that it has an effect on your Flight Time Limitations with the company that you work for........not just in restpect of the hourly limitations but also in regard to rest days i.e. it's not a rest day if you fly a series of instructional flights.

However, if they are private recreational flights then there is a difference - bus man's holiday!

The CAA don't mind provided that all the flight time limits are met and in order to do so you have to tell you company all the hours you fly elsewhere.

Here is when you can have problems depending on how tight the company FTL scheme is. ie. some company that gets the 900 hours/ min rest periods etc out of you will not want you going elsewhere where as a certain large company can have positions where you could have lots of spare time and be in a position to do some instructing without having any impact on the limits.

Regards,

DFC

Field In Sight
17th Aug 2005, 22:05
I have recently started at an airline where we do close to our max hours per year.

I have signed an agreement with the company that allows me to do 5hrs per month of instruction.

I also think now that the responsibility to check my monthly and yearly hour totals rests firmly with me.

FIS.

raspberry
21st Aug 2005, 22:40
thanks for the info guys.

regards

R