PDA

View Full Version : Ejection Video

petitfromage
5th Aug 2005, 06:14
Reportedly a Canadian (NATO) Hawk?

Birdstrike, zoom and ejection.

Great footage and very well done by the crew. Great CRM - in very limited time....listen for the 1st "prepare to abandon the aircraft".

Basic HUD, but airfield is 1800ft AMSL and 237kts when they take the bird.

Great training points to any backseat QFIs.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/abirdhitsplane.html

ftrplt
5th Aug 2005, 07:31
more info here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=184408)

wub
5th Aug 2005, 10:06
If you look carefully, you can see the shadow on the ground of the seat leaving the aircraft.

CBA_caption
5th Aug 2005, 16:58
I particularly like the way the jet recorded the PLB from the chap who left via the roof, before crashing!

CBA

Daifly
5th Aug 2005, 17:53
And I like the Air Traffic "confirm you're ejecting to the North" - about a second after they've gone!

Fox3snapshot
5th Aug 2005, 19:04
Site is blocked here unfortunately, if anyone know's another link I would appreciate it...
:ugh:

BossEyed
5th Aug 2005, 19:15
Daifly, I don't think that is quite what ATC says!

Ewan Whosearmy
5th Aug 2005, 21:56
Sounds more like ATC says, "Confirm break out to the north?".

SilsoeSid
6th Aug 2005, 05:39
Sounds to me like;

A/C tells ATC "'C/S' Ejecting to the North, we have an engine failure."

8 Seconds later ATC asks "'C/S' Copy you break out to the North ?"

Also, just before the aircraft hits the ground, it sounds as if a 'Space Invaders bonus points spaceship' has just appeared!

:ok:
SS

jimgriff
6th Aug 2005, 12:20
What is suprising is the speed of the system (complaining colin or bitchin' betty) reaction after the bird goes into the engine. It is almost instananeous.

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Aug 2005, 14:24
I like the positive vector the Instructor obtains before they jump out;) not!

Ewan Whosearmy
6th Aug 2005, 16:29
Jim,

Even more impressive is that the stud is already saying, "OK, we have a T6NL", when bitchin' betty kicks in.

Out of interest, I always thought that the aural warning system had a female voice because tests had shown pilots were more likely to respond to a female voice than a male voice. Is there any particular reason for the Hawk having a male version?

PPRuNeUser0211
6th Aug 2005, 17:37
From what I can make of it, having read the accident report (makes interesting reading!) the instructor had control for a couple of ccts at the end of the sortie, so the stude prob heard the thump, and/or saw the bird, looked straight in at the cwp and saw the T6NL in big red lights! The audio takes a couple of seconds to kick in to avoid setting it off for transient captions i believe, not sure what the delay is tho.... Interestingly the stude got a DCO for it as well, cause it was the end of the sortie!

Fox3snapshot
6th Aug 2005, 17:55
Thanks for that mate, the fun police here in the sandpit have even blocked that one!!!!

Rubarb rubarb mumble mumble......!

:suspect:

adr
6th Aug 2005, 18:12
Is there any particular reason for the Hawk having a male version?
Purely uninformed speculation on my part, but: so they can sell it to those countries where taking instructions from a female would bring on a machismo crisis? ;)

adr

Gainesy
7th Aug 2005, 06:19
As its built in Brough, I'm surprised it didn't say:"Aye Up! Yer donk's buggered lad!".

Fox 3,
PM me an Email address & I'll send you a copy if you like mate.

Onan the Clumsy
7th Aug 2005, 13:00
tests had shown pilots were more likely to respond to a female voice than a male voice I'm sure our wives might collectively disagree :}

John Farley
7th Aug 2005, 14:27
tests had shown pilots were more likely to respond to a female voice than a male voice

While not disagreeing with Onan's point I believe it is not that pilots are mopre likely to respond to a femail voice but that a femail voice is easier to understand against a noisey background. Female ATC voices are often surprisingly clear compared to males.

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Aug 2005, 14:58
From another sad soul stuck in the sandpit, where "bigboys" and "fazed" are both inaccessible, a backup plea for some kind person to see if the vid can be hosted somewhere bedu-friendly?

The Nr Fairy
7th Aug 2005, 19:01
If you'st stuck in East Bumf@@k and are unable to access ANY site on the internet which takes you fancy due to local restrictions, try anonymous proxy services.

Check http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anonymous+proxy+service

Pontius Navigator
7th Aug 2005, 21:10
As the wife says:

"It'll have a male voice for sale in Scotland then."

Gainesy
9th Aug 2005, 07:29
Fox 3,
Pls check your PMs.

Thud_and_Blunder
9th Aug 2005, 11:30
My thanks to Brian D for sending me a copy - I was surprised how much the aircraft pitched-down on the first ejection, although I suppose I shouldn't be when I take a look at the forces/moments involved.

NR Fairy - thanks, we're well used to using proxies (Guardster.com is my usual port-of-call). However, most of them won't allow downloads via their free services, and I'm the original cheapskate!

Time Flies
9th Aug 2005, 12:49
Does anybody know who the crew were in this Hawk?

Am I correct in thinking it was a NFTC Instructor with a British student?

Well handled throughout...until the instructor reach Terra Firma if it's the one I think it is.

TF

MightyGem
9th Aug 2005, 13:15
try anonymous proxy services
Nope, they're all blocked as well.

Gainesy
9th Aug 2005, 13:31
If anybody wants but can't get a copy, PM me with your email address & I'll send you a copy, (its a 2Mb wmv file).

Evil J
9th Aug 2005, 18:35
I think its a great lesson in how much time there can be and that there is no point in going loopy and trying to do things a million miles an hour.

The worse point about it I think though, as already discussed is his communication with the ground. OK he has PLB's etc and is clearly very close to the circuit, but just adding the word "MAyday" will get everyones attention, even if its just "Mayday callsign ejecting" I think everyone one the ground would have been less open to misunderstanding. As a pilot turned air traffiker I know how easy it is not to hear something you arent expecting to hear, which is why sticking to standard phraseology is so important. The instructor had clearly aviated and navigated his way through the emergency, he just didnt quite get the communicate in as well at the end- OK small point but one I think worth pearning from.

Bob Viking
9th Aug 2005, 19:29
Time flies.
The simple, and facetious, answer to your question would be....yes!
However, I'm feeling generous and prepared to elaborate. It was indeed a Canadian instructor and a Brit stude. Didn't know the Brit personally but the Canuck was that well known Star Wars space slug (if you've been to Moose Jaw you'll know who I mean!).
BV:ok:

Time Flies
9th Aug 2005, 20:40
Bob Viking

Thank you for your generosity!

It's definitely the crew I'm thinking of then. There is still a small Jaba shaped crater to this day!

TF

Bob Viking
9th Aug 2005, 20:46
PBA target.
Just managed to watch the vid for the first time and a couple of points jump out.
Not sure if you've ever flown a hawk but at 125ish knots whilst gliding their ain't an awful lot of zoom potential, so his vector was as about as positive as it could get!
Secondly, Zoom J, I take your point about standard RT and so on but under the circumstances I think "we're ejecting to the north, we've had an engine failure" was a pretty good effort!
Finally, I have to say I think the crew did an excellent job. The Captain was remarkably calm. Nuff respect. If you listen to the voice of the stude you can hear the tension and fear in his breathing. A bloody scary experience that I hope I never have to go through.
Awesome.
BV :ok:

Evil J
10th Aug 2005, 19:24
Yes I take your point and like I said I have nothing but admiration for them both, but imagine that the controller was involved in an "off air" (ie landline) conversation in one ear, he is expecting to hear that callsign report downwind, hears the aircraft say something about going to the north, and especially as the pilot sounded SO cool and relaxed it wouldnt neceassirly ring alarm bells to him, he may just have acknolwged it with a roger, not really registering it and carried on with his landline conversation- include the word Mayday, I guarantee you will get any controllers attention staright away.

Yes I know we should hear what is said not what we expect hear etc etc but we're all human....arent we??

Gingerbread Man
10th Aug 2005, 20:57
It sounds as though the student gets gradually more nervous as he gets closer to pulling that yellow and black thing :uhoh:. I would!

False Capture
10th Aug 2005, 21:47
Ginger, I'd also be nervous before my first ride in a rocket armchair?:sad:

Gainesy
11th Aug 2005, 08:26
Did the student continue his training? I vaguely remember a rumour at the time that he decided to withdraw, then another later said he had not.

Time Flies
11th Aug 2005, 14:01
He certainly did continue and is now on the Tornado F3.

TF

Gainesy
11th Aug 2005, 14:46
TF,
Thanks.Good News.:)

Tarnished
11th Aug 2005, 17:15
I'm pretty sure that the controller didn't actually hear the call of ..."engine failure ejecting to the north" because if I hear it correctly he says ......"roger copy your break out to the north?" (the ? comes with an implied slight rise in his tone). Breakout being a "north american" phrase to request permission to leave the circuit for those that are not familiar.

Humans hear what they expect to hear, "mayday" will grab the attention.

10 more knots when the bird hit and they would probably have been able to get it back onto the runway.

No, I don't want to open the famous "we've lost more aircraft during practice emergencies than have actually been saved by being proficient at it" debate, thank you very musc. Just an observation.

Tarnished

saudipc-9
11th Aug 2005, 18:37
Breakout being a "north american" phrase to request permission to leave the circuit for those that are not familiar.

Tarnish,
Not quite true as it is for information only as we do not have to request to break out of the circuit.
One interesting point out of the accident was that the Hawk does not have an auto seat pack release. This contributed to the injuries of the QFI on landing as he was unable to deploy it before he impacted the ground.
SPC-9

Elmlea
11th Aug 2005, 18:47
Our Hawks do have an auto PSP release. Presumably there's a different seat in the 115; anyone know what?

Bob Viking
14th Aug 2005, 13:12
As far as I remember, it's the same seat as the Hawk T1. Been a little while though.
BV:ok:

TommyTornado
23rd Aug 2005, 15:38
canadian hawk does not have auto psp lower i believe. contributed to canadian instructors injuries. i know a couple of guys who were walking across the airfield when this happened.