PDA

View Full Version : air combat typhoon v f15e

dragline1
2nd Aug 2005, 07:32
well guys i read all the threads with intrest and enjoyed the banter but maybe in just a pilot to pilot thing out come maybe different on another day , as i recall f4 phantoms(raf) engageing vulcan in mock combat in playful times and in many cases the vulcan winning so was it playful training with the lads from lakenheath or maybe something else i wonder . draglie1 ( dab )

Pontius Navigator
2nd Aug 2005, 08:29
The F4 would only lose if it played bomber rules. The first F4 engagement we had (F4E) the guy got in a turning/climbing fight - no contest. Then he bugged out, rolled in at 20 miles and splashed us F1 before we even knew it.

The F15s could probably have taken the Typhoon with different tactics, may be they did before the mixup.

Same as the Buccs taking an F15C. He got sucked in and they got a score draw 1-1 with 3 ac remaining.

The Rocket
3rd Aug 2005, 19:25
Dragline1,

1; (Shift) Plus your letter of choice will produce a capital.
2; You might read with INTEREST.
3; Outcome is a single word
4; Engaging Dragline, ENGAGING.
5; Wing loading Dragline, wingloading.

The Vulcan had a low wing loading, which meant that at high altitudes, where the mighty V would have been keen to do most of it's evasive techniques, it would have had a damn sight more lift (and therefore smaller turning circle) than any Tornado, Lightning, F15, F16 etc...etc...

Simply, at altitude, in a close quarter fight, the Vulcan would have been able to out manouver any period fighter.

Trouble is, as Aircraft and weapons moved along into the BVR era, there wouldn't be an occasion where an F-15 might meet a Vulcan ambling along to drop a spot of sunshine. He would have been picked up and destroyed long since

As much as I hate to admit it, being a Die Hard Vulcan fan

Edited for spoolinmg

West Coast
4th Aug 2005, 03:26
Is pompous ass one word or two?

BEagle
4th Aug 2005, 05:30
It's two.....;)

Whereas the Vulcan might have used its (not "it's"...) agility at altitude against Lightnins and F4s, when the F-15 came along that was no longer the case. Turning at 45 deg AoB at FL400+, we were once rather miffed to see an F-15 sitting on the inside, tracking us nicely. It then overtook - on the inside - and disengaged.

Much of what we thought were correct tactics in the Vulcan were geared towards stern Atoll shots, or guns kills. We'd never heard of lag pursuit and didn't have any idea that much of our manouevring wouldn't have defeated a stern sector AIM 7......

MovinWings
4th Aug 2005, 07:01
I once had an F3 (Tornado) in a 45 AOB turn at 45000Ft+ ! .......

Had to decend, obviously.

MW :{

boswell bear
4th Aug 2005, 11:08
Thanks for the English lesson.
There is always one on a forum.
Do not worry unduly you are not too much of an arsehole if you only correct peoples grammar on forums, the real arseholes correct it also when speaking face to face. :)

Red Line Entry
4th Aug 2005, 11:54
Ah, but then you'd be an arsehole with balls. (not a pretty picture, obviously...)

(edeted for atrosioucs spilleng)

teeteringhead
4th Aug 2005, 12:09
peoples grammar on forums ... shouldn't that be people's grammar on fora ......;) ;)

boswell bear
4th Aug 2005, 16:31
Those errors have to be put in make the grammar correctors feel wanted ;)

TyroPicard
4th Aug 2005, 17:31
I never would have dared to correct my grammar - she had a moustache and chest hair!

TP

Jackonicko
4th Aug 2005, 18:09
Joke 1 (obvious for the Army types, or journos): "Didn't stop you shagging her though."
Joke 2: "How do you know about the hairy chest?"

Pontius Navigator
4th Aug 2005, 21:35
people being a collective noun should surely be peoples'
?

The Rocket
5th Aug 2005, 08:03
Woo hoo...

And it starts......:p :p :p :p