PDA

View Full Version : C-130j - Sf

blackbelt
31st Jul 2005, 14:48
Another J/K thread,but hey interesting times ahead for the J doing the SF role.Looking forward to it , any one else?

juliet
31st Jul 2005, 14:55
and the prize for the most pathetic fishing expedition ever goes to (drum roll here) ........ the idiot who started this thread!

Jackonicko
31st Jul 2005, 15:45
Looking at his posting record, though infrequent, he does seem to be a C-130 ALM rather than a journo.

The fact that the C-130 has SF commitments is no secret, and it's widely suspected that the OEU may have been doing or exploring SF stuff with the J (indeed several magazines have reported these suspicions as though they were fact), but unless he's about to break big news I fear that Blackbelt may have a while to wait before he sees these "interesting times ahead for the J doing the SF role."

But hats off to him for being excited and enthusiastic about it.

k1rb5
31st Jul 2005, 18:24
http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/schlafende/4.gif

Compressorstall
31st Jul 2005, 18:38
Good job this is the right kind of secure environment to discuss SF matters too...

Thud_and_Blunder
31st Jul 2005, 20:22
indeed several magazines have reported these suspicions as though they were fact
..this from Flight International cover story "Rising to the Challenge" 12-18 July 2005:

"the aircraft (ie the 'J') is cleared for roles bar special forces, and it won't be too long before we do that as well," says Sqn Ldr Don Macintosh, officer commanding 24 Sqn, the operational evaluation unit for the type"

..so it isn't just discussed here, and perhaps the original poster isn't too far adrift from the Party Line.

oldfella
31st Jul 2005, 22:01
People believing everything they read. Banter aginst journalists. Discussion on what should or should not be discussed on this forum. All good stuff but how long before this turns into yet another K/J slagging match?

On_The_Top_Bunk
31st Jul 2005, 22:56
People believing everything they read. Banter aginst journalists. Discussion on what should or should not be discussed on this forum. All good stuff but how long before this turns into yet another K/J slagging match?

http://www.asmh37.dsl.pipex.com/deargod.jpg

MightyGem
1st Aug 2005, 07:29
Good job this is the right kind of secure environment to discuss SF matters too
I'm saying nothing....:rolleyes:
:E

OKOC
1st Aug 2005, 08:37
Cummon guys-move with the times-the J will make a superb platform-in-built NVG compatabilty, etc,etc all it needs is a Nav on the flight deck to help out with the heavy-duty workload.

k1rb5
1st Aug 2005, 08:56
in-built NVG compatabilty, etc,etc

So what's this etc, etc bit then? Is it good?

PS. If this looks like a bite then I'm sorry gents

16 blades
1st Aug 2005, 10:05
Hmm...

No Heavy Drop clearance, no Sim Sticks, trim issues, vibe issues, no cupola, plus a whole host of other issues that are not for discussion in a public forum......

....I'd love to see how a 3-man crew ALARP would work as well.....

IMHO this seems to be being pushed from the bottom up, so to speak - a bit like an unsolicited contract bid. Happy to be corrected if wrong, though. UNCLAS replies only, mind.

16B

C130 Techie
1st Aug 2005, 12:45
but how long before this turns into yet another K/J slagging match?

About 5 posts by the look of it:(

500days2do
1st Aug 2005, 14:38
Cool idea !!!
Then we can stick a couple of extra crew members on and hence find/create some more jobs for commissioned wasters that are still knocking around...!:D
Better still spend a few quid on the kit we have,maybe some on the frames we should have bought and we'll be sweet. Hey we could....shutting up now !

Vote with your feet...:p

truckiebloke
1st Aug 2005, 17:59
But it is amusing to watch all the 'k' guys bite!! Still wont affect me, just being a route queen, and nor do i care who has the role. The 'j' has its issues and problems, but in the hot (and high) climates that we work in, there is no doubt the 'j' is far superior as it has significantly more power!

Always_broken_in_wilts
1st Aug 2005, 18:21
Thankfully the mighty "J" will also retain it's sweet smelling flight deck OKOC:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Oct 2005, 08:36
No Heavy Drop clearance, no Sim Sticks, trim issues, vibe issues, no cupola, plus a whole host of other issues that are not for discussion in a public forum......

Didn't the yanks do a 30,000 pound airdrop in Iraq earlier this year in a J? 30,000 pounds seems pretty heavy to me.

No sim sticks: Quiet a few nations have cleared the J for that after comrehensive paratrooping trails.
C130J Para Trails. (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/editions/4506/topstories/story15.htm)
Ex Croc 03 :
http://www.defence.gov.au/croc03/images/gallery/090903a/JPAU09SEP03AR04_th.jpg

Vibe issues: fiddle sticks! This issue was raised and dropped years ago.

They can be discussed if they have been placed on the public record through a newspaper article. :D

What's a cupola?? It's got a cupholder! :} Is that what a nav onboard would be used for? Refilling the contents of one's cupholder? :p

SASless
6th Oct 2005, 09:24
Need a Nav....of course dear boy...can't expect the whiz kids to get out of their seats and do something so common as turning the kettle on now can you?

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Oct 2005, 09:47
Such a shame they didn't include a soft panel for the galley and install one of those Italian J model Cappucino machines :}

Michael Edic
6th Oct 2005, 14:03
Does the flight deck smel sweeter because of the lack of the future McDonalds trainee?

"Battle bowlers on everybody!"

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Oct 2005, 15:52
Not when I bring my own McDonalds breakfast to work :)

and if you knew me, you'd know that I'm not joking.

Microwaves are the greatest.

Maybe they can design the captains seat so it slides all the way back to the galley so I don't have to get up though :p

RedFlag
6th Oct 2005, 22:25
What the hell are rim tissues? Are they the soft ones with added aloe vera?
....I'd love to see how a 3-man crew ALARP would work as well.....
Should have been watching on the secret wilts airbase last week then...... next?

I love these stupid games..... lol:D

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Oct 2005, 13:26
You talking Refueling ALARP or As Low As Reasonably Practical?

I_stood_in_the_door
7th Oct 2005, 14:07
Who need sim sticks when sequential sticks work just as well.

Providing one has a suitably large enough DZ, that is. However, 'Ssssh' don't do cattle class parachuting, do they?

The J's heavy drop capability is ever increasing. If only we could buy some flat smooth chassied humvees, her capability would be rather good!! Except Barnacle Bills stuff.

Ho hum, more fuel to the fire!!

PS. 30k airdrop - sound cool!

Now, pass-a-frozo, about that cappucino thingamebob. Have you ever heard of GEMS.............?

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Oct 2005, 14:30
I think the Approved Maint Org would go ape sh*t if I got someone in to rip crap out of the galley :)

AL ASAD, Iraq (April 16, 2005) — A KC-130J cargo plane delivered needed supplies to Forward Operating Base Korean Village, a remote outpost in the Iraqi desert. However, the aircraft did not land to offload its cargo. Instead, it successfully conducted an aerial supply delivery to the Marines on the ground.“Aerial delivery is one mission we do that requires the entire crew to come together as a tight team to accomplish the mission”, said Capt. James Palmer. “The J now allows us to be even better. The com-puter technology and state of the art avionics and navigation allow both consistent and accurate delivery of cargo on the drop zone

I_stood_in_the_door
7th Oct 2005, 14:35
Brit 130J, pass-a-frozo?

theboywide
7th Oct 2005, 14:49
All this banter is great but we fail to see the point.
SF would work better if we SHARED the role between the J and the K. That way we get more frames to work with and then the K can do any stuff the Js not cleared for yet.... sound like a plan?

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Oct 2005, 14:52
I think that to limit roles to any single fleet is crazy. You end up with a couple of airframes that have been absolutely flogged. They get wingcracks, get discovered then all of a sudden people realise "Oh crap, we can't fulfill that capability until we fix it!

That was a USAF J. Although I seem to remember that being CDS.

shoutingwind
12th Oct 2005, 08:59
i like the idea everyone should share the tasks. if you gotta share techies you should share everything.

and hey, at least the green j looks damn cool!

oldfella
12th Oct 2005, 13:46
J / K again? I don't normally get involved in this slanging match but want to throw this in as an idea.

The K SF guys are very experienced in the role. The J (good as it is) is just another aircraft - let's take the K SF guys and simply train them on the J. Let them take their skills and adapt their techniques to the J rather than the J guys having to take on a new role.

Having lit the blue touchpaper, retires quickly and waits for better reasoning from the J wannabees.

Always_broken_in_wilts
12th Oct 2005, 14:55
I think you might find that 50% of the SF K flight deck crew might not be best pleased with that very sensible suggestion oldfella as there is no seat for them:p

However the other 50% and the ALM would be chuffed to bits with all the new bells and whistles, no one rabbiting on about caravans or 2 port and the fresh smelling environment the delightful J flightdeck has to offer :ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

On_The_Top_Bunk
12th Oct 2005, 15:12
The K SF guys are very experienced in the role. The J (good as it is) is just another aircraft - let's take the K SF guys and simply train them on the J. Let them take their skills and adapt their techniques to the J rather than the J guys having to take on a new role.

I believe that the accumulated flying hours over the last couple of years may indicate that there is now a greater level of ability, experience and skill on the J over the K. ;)

mystic_meg
12th Oct 2005, 15:32

...so let's get this straight: You have to have prior SF experience to go SF...hmmm

Question: How do the K guys get to SF then if this is the case?

Flawed reasoning, methinks

Lara crofts pants
12th Oct 2005, 19:52
As usual, the people with the loudest opinions on the SF role are the ones who have never done it;)

RedFlag
12th Oct 2005, 21:30
There is nothing wrong with the K SF frames or crews in terms of capability, they are hugely capable and do a fantastic job. The problem is the ac are getting old and tired, and won't last forever.

There is also tha fact that the crews down the corridor are working their collective nuts off, and they want to offload some of the less esoteric stuff to the J, which, whilst less capable in the role due to equipment procurement can easily provide the service.

I think you'll find also that there is a fair amount of sshhh experience on the J too, although at present it isn't planned to use it in the sshhh role.

In terms of a fully swept up SF J, don't hold your breath. The necessary upgrades will only be funded when their SSSHHHH-ships decide that the K cannot perform the role anymore, which ain't gonna happen in the short or even medium term, and while Lockheed still hold the DA for the J, any Mods will be way too expensive in Gordon Brown's red suitcase of power.

On a positive note for the J though, a heavy drop capability is on the way. A full CDS load of 16.7 tons was successfully dropped recently and as soon as QinetiQ and the IPT pull their fingers out of their collective ar$es it'll be online.

On_The_Top_Bunk

I disagree about the skill, ability and experience level of the SF K guys, they are way out there in front, and I speak as a v. experienced J man with 10 years previous on the K (including ssshhh). The roles are so very different that there really is no comparison. Main Sqn guys yes, broadly I agree, but not the flight.

On_The_Top_Bunk
12th Oct 2005, 22:36
I disagree about the skill, ability and experience level of the SF K guys, they are way out there in front, and I speak as a v. experienced J man with 10 years previous on the K (including ssshhh). The roles are so very different that there really is no comparison. Main Sqn guys yes, broadly I agree, but not the flight.

Unfortunately there isn't the flying to go around as was in the days of old. (not that long ago) If there was, I'm sure we wouldn't have had the recent incident with the Mk3, which I won't go into here. The experience is there but the practice unfortunately isn't.

The hierarchy need to look where they are spending the dosh. We don't need droves of Typhoons, same as the F3, it won't get used in anger......very nice at airshows though.

Spend some money on the truckies and choppers. Thats how you project your influence worldwide nowadays. You have to be able to support your troops on the ground.