PDA

View Full Version : Jez Wassell

Esperanza
23rd Jul 2005, 07:56
Last night I received the sad news that Jez Wassell had died at the beginning of this week.

I'm not yet sure of the exact details but I understand that he had just returned to work at Oxford; and that he had only completed one day back at work prior to his death. I'm not too sure as to how he died, but I've been lead to believe that he may have decided to kill himself. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.

I worked alongside Jez for a short time at OATS (Gloucester) and then became close friends with both him and Solenn while working for BAE Systems in Spain. I can honestly say that Jez was one of the nicest chaps that you could possibly ever meet and a very good instructor to boot. Therefore I'm very sad to hear about his untimely end.

If anybody has any further details (funeral,etc) then please PM me. The only contact details that I have are his e-mail address and old north Devon address, which are now of course of no use.

Thank you.

porridge
23rd Jul 2005, 16:42
Hi Esperanza
Check your PM's.
Regards, P

high-flyer
24th Jul 2005, 05:08
This is indeed very sad news. I had the pleasure of being taught by Jez for some of my CPL and IR flying at BAE Systems in Spain. He was a nice chap and a very professional instructor.

Condolences to family and friends.

high-flyer

FormationFlyer
25th Jul 2005, 10:35
Im shocked. I know Jez from his Aero's days and he was my instructor for PPL and multi.

Last I heard of Jez he was goat herding somewhere!

I was at Oxford recently and speaking to the CFI there he said that Jez was returning.

Im very very sad to hear such news....

Lima Juliet
25th Jul 2005, 20:56
I heard that he was hit by a train near Oxford - no more details than that. Whatever happened it is very sad.

Fly safe on your final flight, Jez. :(

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
26th Jul 2005, 09:48
Jez was a good mate of mine; we had some really good times both in the air and the pub…!

The funeral is at:

10.30 on Friday
St Laurence Church
Gnosall
Near Stafford
A518

I know his family would very much like to meet his friends that he worked and flew with.

Very sad indeed…

Earthbound Misfit
26th Jul 2005, 10:51
I also knew Jez from his Aero's days and the Aero's possy years ago... we had many laughs down at the local pub and hilarous nights out in Cheltenham.

He was a great chap and I'll always remember his infectious sense of humour.

What a loss, this shouldn't happen to someone so young. My thoughts go to his family at this sad time.

FUNERAL FLOWERS...

For those of you who can not attend the funeral and wish to send flowers, you can send flowers to the undertakers at following address:

William Emery & Son Funeral Directors
The Laurels
13 County Rd
Stafford
Staffs
ST16 2PU

Funeral is Friday 29th July, 10:30am at St Laurence Church, Gnosall and then 11:30am at Staffs Crematorium.

brotherSpon
26th Jul 2005, 16:11
Dear friends of my brothers,

Thank you all so much for the kind comments I've seen on this board. An outstanding instructor, a great friend, a more caring and loving brother and son no-one will find.

On behalf of our whole family we thank you for your support at this time. I can't believe I am sat here writing this and seeing my brothers name this way on the internet.

The details of the service in Gnosall (about 8 miles west of Stafford have already been posted as have other requests.

One important thing to note about the service is that our mum & dad have requested no-one attends wearing black clothes.

Thank you all once again. He'll be sorely missed until I see him again.

I love you Spen.

Spon

matspart3
27th Jul 2005, 14:59
A thoroughly sound bloke, who stood out from the crowd. A first class instructor and (from the ATCO's perspective) a thoroughly professional pilot to work with.

A genuine passion for flying and life. He certainly lived it to the full in the tragically short time I knew him.

Fly high, mate, RIP

Hasher
28th Jul 2005, 15:00
Sorry, to hear this sad news, had a few beers with Jez some years ago while doing my BCPL, great bloke not to be forgotten...
Morry if you read this send me a PM. Rest easy my friend

PK

brotherSpon
2nd Aug 2005, 14:00
Hi there,

I just wanted to say thank-you to everyone who has sent emails and messages of support to my bro's family and me. Thanks too to everyone who went to all the effort of heading up to the midlands last Friday for the ceremony. It was really really good of you.

It was so nice to be able to meet with people that knew Jem that until now had been names in the stories he used to tell me about, and worry our parents with!

I can't begin to tell you how much you have all helped us so far in dealing with his passing to other skies.

I'll send private messages as soon as I can, but in the meantime please fly safe and enjoy the skies.

"Runway in sight".

Jon