PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation for an airline pilot

Airbus Girl
22nd Jun 2005, 16:03
Hi all
Thought I would find a fountain of knowledge on this forum.
I did a search but nothing specific and current enough came up.
Hopefully someone who knows the JAA and FAA rules.
I fly jets for an airline.
I also hold a JAA and FAA PPL.
My FAA PPL 2 year requirement expires in January. I would like to keep the multi-engine part of this current.
My JAA revalidation is due in January also, but I haven't flown enough hours.
Both licences were gained through test although my initial CAA PPL was "converted" from the FAA PPL.

Questions are:-
1) If I can pin down the TRE/IRE that did my last LPC/OPC for work, does that count for anything? (Like, a profiency check which might also cover the single engine part of my JAA PPL).

2) If not, do I need to do a proficiency test and if so,
a) if I do it in a twin does it count for the single as well
b) if I do it in a basic single can I still fly a "complex" (Arrow for example)

3) Is there any way I can combine things, like do an hour with an FAA instructor to keep my FAA multi valid, which also keeps my FAA single valid but can it also be used for any of the JAA requirements?

4) Is the revalidation for the PPL straight forward?

Many thanks in advance!

BEagle
22nd Jun 2005, 16:26
If your 'airline' licence is a JAR-FCL licence and the 'January' to which you refer is Jan 06:

1. You do NOT need a separate JAR-FCL PPL(A). Just meet the SEP Class Rating revalidation requirements either by flying 12 hrs (of which 6 are as PIC plus 12 t/os and ldgs) before Jan 06 and also do some form of LPC/OPC before then for 'work' or alternatively fly a SEP Class Rating Revalidation LPC with a (PPL) Examiner before Jan 06. This will also allow you to fly 'complex' single such as an Arrow if you've flown one before and have the RG and VP differences training noted in your log book.

2. A JAR-FCL MEP Class Rating Revalidation does NOT include SEP Class Rating privileges.

3. Sorry, I can't help with the FAA bit.

3 Point
22nd Jun 2005, 16:51
Airbus Girl, you asked;

Questions are:-
1) If I can pin down the TRE/IRE that did my last LPC/OPC for work, does that count for anything? (Like, a profiency check which might also cover the single engine part of my JAA PPL).

2) If not, do I need to do a proficiency test and if so,
a) if I do it in a twin does it count for the single as well
b) if I do it in a basic single can I still fly a "complex" (Arrow for example)

3) Is there any way I can combine things, like do an hour with an FAA instructor to keep my FAA multi valid, which also keeps my FAA single valid but can it also be used for any of the JAA requirements?

4) Is the revalidation for the PPL straight forward?

I'm an Airbus pilot and CFI at a flying club so my answers are;

First, I hope you hold more than a PPL! You must have a CPL or an ATPL if you are flying the Airbus! The Professional licence will have the SEP and the MEP ratings from the PPL carried forward to it and you need to revalidate or renew the ratings on your CPL/ATPL.

1) If the SEP rating is still current it can be revalidated by you having the required experience (12 hours SEP in the last 12 months)and by having a training flight in an SEP aircraft with a JAA FI; you can substitute the Airbus LPC (note NOT the OPC) for this training flight and the TRE can sign it although he may not be willing because most of them don't know the rules. If you don't have the hours you can revalidate it by passing a skill test in an SEP aeroplane. If the rating has passed its expiry date you must renew it by passing a skill test.

2) If the SEP rating has expired you need a Skill test. You need a Skill test to revalidate or to renew the MEP rating.
a) The skill test in the twin does not cover the single, they are two separate ratings (unles you were revalidating by experience and counting the MEP LPC in lieu of the training flight).
b) once you have received difference training for VP Prop, Retractable, pressurisation, turbo/supercharged engines or tailwheel aircraft you are qualified on aircraft with those features for life; any revalidation or renewal of the SEP rating will include those differences which you have recived training on.

3) Don't know, I'm not FAA qualified but it would seem reasonable to fly with a dual FAA/JAA qualified examiner and combine the two flights!

4) The revalidation or renewal of a SEP rating on a PPL, CPL or ATPL is straightforward if you are up to speed on flying SEP aircraft, if not you might want to do a dual flight to brush up on PFLs and flaring much lower! No autoland on SEP:D

All this is explained in great detail in LASORS which you can download from the CAA website and it can be difficult to give precise advice without seeing your licence and logbook. Good luck getting back up to speed on fun flying!

3 Point

porridge
23rd Jun 2005, 05:27
Hi Airbus Girl
Please check your PM's or email for detaisl of how I can help with both the JAA & FAA renewals.
Regards, P