PDA

View Full Version : Unaccurate pitch command

kuobin
19th Jun 2005, 14:08
For 744 guys,Have you fell that sometime the pitch command from f/d at initial climb out is pretty unreasonable?most of time,when you are already below v2+10,but the f/d want to pitch up futher,strange enough?
And personally I feel i am losing my flying skill as we just fly ILS to ILS?
:rolleyes:

Slickster
20th Jun 2005, 20:45
I find the 744 FD far more sluggish than the 737. This is particularly true with early turns on a SID based on DME. Many pilots on the fleet "look through it" for these.

As far as pitch goes we are required to do 12.5 degrees until VNAV kicks in at 400'. Maybe this is the case with you, in which case the FD will get more and more "angry" that you are ignoring it. It tells you the direction it wants you to pull in, and not the exact attitiude it wants you to pitch/roll to.

As for flying skills, I think this has less to do with ILSs and more to do with the lack of sectors-a function of the job. Next time you get the chance, fly the ILS with FD, autothrottle, and autopilot out. I reckon it's a reasonable enough challenge, and ought to test your flying skills. It's a common moan on my fleet that people's flying skills are being eroded, but it is rare to see someone take the chance to practice them in nice weather etc. Just lazy I guess.

Intruder
21st Jun 2005, 00:49
Also remember that the 744 FD is fixed at the Go-Around pitch until VNAV is activated. You need to fly planned pitch and IAS until 400 AGL.