PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Questions

Airbanda
24th Sep 2004, 14:30
Organising a conference next year. Politics demand it be in Cardiff, practicality that some attendees come from Scotland. BMI baby fly to Glasgow (PIK), but tt says operated by Air Wales. Flight time is pushing 2hrs. Seems awful long, is there a stop somewhere, or does it just go all round the Wrekin.

Also what a/c are they using. ATR I can get away with, but senior execs will not be pleased at being on a bandit or similar for that long. Why PIK and not Abbotsinch?.

Thanks

Eric T Cartman
24th Sep 2004, 17:47
Flight plan time is 1 hr 30 mins. ( & PIK is 20 miles nearer than ABI !
:D

speedbird_heavy
24th Sep 2004, 17:53
Check the aircraft reg. If it is (i think) G-SSEA, it has 3 of 4 rows of "business class" seats at the rear. Slightly wider than the standard seats. But when I worked at CWL they always used G-TAWE.

No_Speed_Restriction
24th Sep 2004, 18:10
Expect a flight time anywhere from 1:10 to 1:30 depending on the wind. As for Speedbird_Heavy's suggestion of sitting in the back seats, I would recommend the front row as, if no one is seated in front of you, you can stretch your legs. Down side is, higher noise level due to the engines. Oh well.

skyrabbit
24th Sep 2004, 18:47
did it in 1 hr 03 mins yesterday!.......(but then I am just amazing!) :cool:

trouble is it took 1hr 45 mins to get to PIK! :bored:

that's strong northerlies and turboprops for you!

rabbs :}

Oshkosh George
24th Sep 2004, 23:48
Just seen on another site that the CWL-PIK route is being dropped from the end of October.

End of thread then!

No_Speed_Restriction
25th Sep 2004, 09:00
Not that I heard of mate. Then again, Skyrabbit, have I been subjected to "mushroom mode" again?:\

pipertommy
25th Sep 2004, 09:45
Hope that bmi baby are not pulling the Cardiff/Prestwick route! I have a flight booked in Nov/Dec ! What period of notice would they have to give?

Oshkosh George
25th Sep 2004, 10:43
Just put in some dates for travel Nov/Dec and site is accepting them,so looks like the rumour could be false.

Link is here---click on 'more news here' at bottom,look at 24/09,then Bmi Baby.
www.ch-aviation.ch

pipertommy
25th Sep 2004, 12:33
Ye see what you mean ! maybe air wales will take over the route? They did try to launch a scottish service a year or so ago . Thanks for checking it out,i am actually from balloch (loch lomond) so it would be back to Bristol if the route did go! :\

Airbanda
25th Sep 2004, 13:38
Thanks to all for the replies, I can now say I've checked and it's a non stop route operated by modern kit. Summer 05 tt will be in place by date of event. Cross the bridge of the route being pulled if I come to it. CWL's website only shows it to end of next month, but as one poster says Baby's system is taking bookings beyond 31/10.

5552N0426W
29th Sep 2004, 17:47
PIK - CWL - PIK still operating thru winter and although sched shows 1hr 45m it's always early no matter which way you go and average flight times around 1hr 20m.

Excellent service - keep using it - you get half price rail fare from PIK station showing your booking confirmation.

:ok:

Oshkosh George
30th Sep 2004, 16:40
Couldn't see any reference to subsidised rail travel on the website. Would this also apply to EDI flights?

Incidentally,why hasn't this thread been moved to Airlines,Airports and Routes?

Runway 31
1st Oct 2004, 18:35
According to the Cardiff Airport website in addition to continuing through the winter Cardiff-Prestwck they will increase the frequency. Probably another return flight Saturday and Sunday the same as weekdays.

jettesen
1st Oct 2004, 19:00
NO. Only available on flights in and out of PIK. They started this several years ago, in a bid to raise the stakes and draw passengers to the airport by offering free / discounted rail travel.

Runway 31
1st Oct 2004, 19:12
Free rail travel applies from/to anywhere in Scotland for the first 6 months of any new route. Thereafter 50% off.

30% of all passengers travel by train.

WHBM
14th Jun 2005, 10:48
The TAY flight is a TNT cargo flight from their Liege hub. But unlike most of their operations which are on their own 146 freighter fleet, the Cardiff flight is operated by an Atlantic Airways Lockheed Electra, one of the last big props left in regular service in Europe. The outbound comes over my house in Central London about 23.10 local each evening, and is nicely audible from the ground, even from inside the house (and the nav lights visible on clear evenings). Occasionally I hear the return in the early morning too. Guess I have an ear for the old dinosaurs !

Standard Noise
14th Jun 2005, 10:52
Aah, Uncle Mike's Flying Museum and each one with it's own distinct sound.

Fried_Chicken
14th Jun 2005, 15:15
CWL086, CWL087 & CWL089 are either Beech King Airs or Dominies on training flights

FC

WHBM
14th Jun 2005, 17:53
We established here on PPRuNe a while ago that it was indeed the Cardiff Electra going overhead Central London each night and that it was normally at about 15,000 feet, despite which I can hear it, so I'm surprised about it being inaudible over South Bristol. What about when Cardiff is on easterlies, the departure presumably must be climbing out on the same trackabout 2230 ?

Standard Noise
14th Jun 2005, 19:46
MV - would you like me to avoid your hamlet tonight and tomorrow with the Electra? I can do anything (almost) and I don't even charge.:ok:

WHBM - when it goes off 30 at Cardiff, it routes to Alvin then over south Gloucestershire down L9. Depending on the wind, peeps in South Bristol won't necessarily hear it. Inbound however, it routes over South Bristol toward Burnham on Sea to join RW30 at Cardiff.

WHBM
14th Jun 2005, 23:30
Standard Noise (or even Superb Noise) :

Is that you going overhead me right now, 0020 local, heading 090, anti-collision lights nicely visible, about an hour later than normal ?

Possibly you could dip down overhead me one evening and then put the power on ! Right by the London City NDB. They're closed by your time of night so I'm sure no-one would notice if you got down to say 1,000 feet :D

Thank you again for the routing info.

MV :

Sounds like you are near my childhood home, Whitchurch, where in about 1960 on quiet nights from bed I used to hear faint high-level overflying traffic which I now believe were westbound overnight transatlantic Constellations and DC-7s out of London (or maybe Paris) heading for Shannon and points west. Oh, to have THOSE still going over the house !

WHBM
15th Jun 2005, 12:18
IIRC in 1960 the original Bristol airport, called Whitchurch (although not really located there), was still in service for GA as I can recall light aircraft going over the house.

On my rare passes-through the district nowadays it always seems amazing to now see a stream of 737s etc passing to the south.

Regarding the occasional private flights on Ceefax this is a feature of the system, you see it for some other airports too (eg Luton). Apparently it requires manual intervention to filter out the non-public flights from the airport's own arrivals system based on presumably data from handling agents (and if I recall correctly from a PPL flight, handling agents are compulsory at Cardiff even for GA) and it doesn't always get done.

Standard Noise :

Think I may have misinterpreted your post as you being aircrew on the Electra, possibly incorrect in that. Apologies if wrong.

Standard Noise
16th Jun 2005, 00:34
I am indeed an ATCO at Brizzel. 10 points to MV.

WHBM - no apology needed, I'm flattered someone thinks I could be intelligent enough to be a pilot. I did however work at Coventry a few years ago, and saw the Electra's up close quite a bit. Much as I didn't rate Air Antique as a company (or an employer), I do respect them greatly for the rather eclectic mix of aircraft they have owned/used over the years.

As for Cardiff RW12 deps going east, they turn northeast towards Alvin climbing to be level at FL100 before setting off down L9. That keeps them above our Wotan deps which climb to FL90.

Morrihell
18th Jun 2005, 00:07
Don't forget the Emerald flights in/out of Lulsgate, inherently propliner and nearly always a 748.

I've heard the Electra out of Cardiff now and again droning past when there's been an easterly wind over ere at Fishponds.

MH

ATCO1987
18th Jun 2005, 21:58
Dont forget the AWC B462 too ;) think its a 462 anyway, I'll probably get pedantically corrected to 463 <G>.

Dan.

Morrihell
20th Jun 2005, 00:00
I'll probably get pedantically corrected to 463

They're 146-200QCs so I can't correct you pedantically.......

The outbound AWC063F fills in for Scot Airways during the day EDI-LCY-EDI and then flies back to good old Bristol as a mail flight.

Forgot to mention that there's also a mail flight out of Exeter to St Ansted which can drone/buzz over around midnight, it's a Shorts 360

Andy.

WHBM
20th Jun 2005, 12:49
Had to go over to Belfast just now, a nice sight of an Atlantic Electra on the ground there .....

Going back (quickly) to Lulsgate in the 1960s, I recall one of these there

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/273898/M/

It was quite a sight silhouetted on the skyline of the ramp as you came up the A38 out of Bristol. It did a regular evening flight a couple of times a week.

Another 10 of SN's points to those who can identify it without looking at the caption.

LGS6753
28th Jun 2005, 14:16
aaaahhhh...

A Duck Pond. (or Deux Ponts as known elsewhere).

MV-

Spent 3 happy years in Wrington in late 80s. And views of BRS on the way to/from work every day. The main protagonists then were Paramount MD83s.

Of course, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.....

BAforever
9th Sep 2006, 10:14
Does anyone know who this may be?-

BX086Bilbao13:20arrivals
then

BX086Haugesund13:50Depatures

More info on Haugesund

Its an airport in Norway with a 2150m runway, Ryanair flys there(says it all really) so might this be a refuelling stop? and if so by who? with only 30mins turn around. What plane will it be?

P.S its been delayed until 1340 arrival

caaardiff
9th Sep 2006, 12:48
Its a private charter and is indeed just on a refuelling stop. I think its the return leg for the flight and is an ATR-42

BAforever
9th Sep 2006, 13:03
Thanks for the reply caaardiff, do you know who the charter was for:confused:

Ba

caaardiff
9th Sep 2006, 13:08
No sorry, not sure of that.:confused:

BAforever
11th Sep 2006, 17:17
Thats OK but thanks for the info:ok:

BA