PDA

View Full Version : Instructing??

nick14
12th Jun 2005, 10:20
Well i am currently an examiner for model aircraft and i realy enjoy teaching people to fly!!
Also love seeing the smile when i pass them!!(not often as im a hard nut to crack:ok

Is the money better in examining and commercial training?

Anyone else want to add please do!!!!

Just want to know

all you instructors out there in the wide insrtucting world wots it like?

Any commercial instructors???

Nick

what who me?
12th Jun 2005, 19:58
Plenty of commercial instructors on this forum, most are a wee bit older than 17 though.

Also, most real flying examiners (not the model ones) don't actually enjoy failing people, as you appear to.

I suggest you try again in 5 years or so, when you have grown up just a bit more.

nick14
12th Jun 2005, 23:37
Excuse me,
At what point in my post did i say i enjoy failing people? I merely pointed out that in order for me to pass someone they have to conform to my high standards. I said I enjoy PASSING people!!

I am starting to think that SOME people are damaging the image of pprune!!

What in my post solicited the rude response which i recieved from you?

I am trying to find out about the instructing industry because i hope to join it in a few years, and i know that there are kind people here that wish to help an ambitious young person such as my self. In future if you cannot contribute constructively please refrain from discouraging prospective pilots from sources such as pprune!!!

Oh and for your information Im not stupid and i realise that commercial instructors are often highly experienced pilots having been flying for a number of years!!!

Nick

what who me?
13th Jun 2005, 06:20
[reality check]

Nick

In flying, as an examiner, you don't say 'I pass them'. 'I pass them' means you give something away they didn't deserve. Try saying 'they passed', indicating it is actually their achievement.

Also, if you say that as an examiner you are a 'hard nut to crack', you indicate that you apply standards which might be above and beyond those set by whatever organisation governs your examining duties. To me that means you enjoy failing people.

'In order for me to pass someone they have to conform to my high standards.'

'In order for someone to pass they have to reach the required standard.'

Can you see the difference?

[/reality check]

Blackshift
13th Jun 2005, 07:52
Well said!

Don't be too quick to take offence nick14, for it is exactly this sort of hard earned professional insight which might enable you to make progress in a professional aviation environment more easily.

Although wwm's reply was obviously a tad blunt for your taste, if you expect to have sunshine blown up your ar*e with a fawning welcome in response to such manifestly unprofessional language in your opening remarks then you're in the wrong place.

Good luck with your quest Grasshopper!

BEagle
13th Jun 2005, 08:05
Chill, chaps...

To become an FI through the civil route is an expensive process if you wish to receive remuneration. Basically, you would need to do the following:

1. Train for a CPL. Two basic ways of doing this, one is a complete CPL from scratch course ('integrated'), the other is to obtain a PPL, then 'build hours' to meet the entry requirements for a shorter CPL course ('modular').

2. Take a FI course when you have the required total of hours - and pass the test.

3. Try to get a job as a Flight Instructor(Restricted).

To become a commercial FI, you would really need some form of instrument qualification as well. Such as aither the UK IMC Rating or the full Instrument Rating. The IR is far more demanding, but could be included in an integrated CPL/IR course. As could a Multi-Engine Rating. Or after completion of a modular CPL course. Then, to instruct for the IR or even the IMC rating, you would have to do another course to have the initial restriction removed from your FI Rating - and another test.

To become an Examiner, you will need to build up even more hours, pass a selection course, be authorised by the CAA (includes another test)......and then find someone who wants you to examine for them! Typically, the examiner's fee for a PPL Skill Test is around £160.

At the moment, you can only instruct for remuneration at NPPL level for a Microlight or SLMG Rating, not for a SSEA Rating. That might perhaps change in the future as it is a long term aspiration of many to bring back the old PPL/FI Rating - and to allow suitably experienced pilots to instruct at PPL level for remuneration without the need for a CPL.

To find out what's needed for all of this see LASORS 2005 on the CAA website - you can download it as a .pdf .

To be honest, many FIs are youngsters earning very little (except experience) whilst waiting for an airline to hire them. Or, they are much older and happy to instruct part-time. Who can tell what the future holds? If the demand for more airline pilots increases substantially, the big airlines will pinch pilots from the little ones and the little ones will snap up the instructors. Which will mean that any remaining Flying Training Organisations will need to increase their salaries very considerably if they are to attract 'career' instructors. Which will put up the price of training yet further.......

Do you really need to pass a test to fly model aircraft these days? I just went out with can of Keil Kraft PowerPlus, a model and a transmitter and taught myself......to the sound of splintering balsa, it has to be said!

Blackshift
13th Jun 2005, 08:19
Wot no 3rd party insurance? :eek:

Perhaps someone like Chopper 'ere should have nicked your aviation career in the bud before you had any delusions about taking it any further with such a slapdash effort? :ugh:

To be fair, I honestly can't get my head around the technique required to fly a r/c model a/c - like most people I know who have tried both I find it much easier when strapped into a real one...

Please point that out to the next person you fail nick14.

... apologies if I'm teaching teaching my granny how to suck eggs without breaking them!