PDA

View Full Version : DHC take a bashing in June AAIB Bulletin

Goldryder
11th Jun 2005, 16:46
Following two incidents on the same aircraft, a DHC - 8 - 402 belonging to FlyBe, DHC were requested by FlyBe Maintenance to amend their Manuals in relation to WOW1, WOW2 and SCU failures. This request was backed up by the AAIB and was carried out on March 31st 05.

The aircraft concerned (G-JEDI) was taxiing to the runway at Birmingham on the 5th January 05 when the nose steering failed along with the co-pilot's ASI. The aircraft had the SCU replaced and returned to service, only for the same fault to reappear at Glasgow the following day. It was then discovered that the wiring harness for the WOW2 had been chafing and required replacement, along with the WOW1&2 switches.
The initial repair was done due to fault coding on the SCU, however a fault on one or both WOW switches also showed identical fault codes but this was not in the Maintenance Manual, hence it was missed on the initial failure on the 5th January and not picked up til the second failure on the 6th January.

Since the request from FlyBe to DHC to amend the Manuals accordingly, the AAIB was informed of the changes which were done as of the 31st March 05.

Its a good job the failures did not occur at higher speeds or be noticed after take-off as it might have jammed the noseleg in the retracted position by trapping the harness. Apparently other aircraft suffer similar problems with WOW harnesses, BAE 146 is amongst them, I believe. I dare say some may well have had experience of dealing with such faults on here, as I have the feeling this was not an isolated case.