PDA

View Full Version : MD-11 Engine 2 Anti Ice Duct

New on NG
9th Jun 2005, 11:15
Why does the new checklist procedure leads to engine shutdown?

3holelover
9th Jun 2005, 13:06
Maybe some more detail to your question is in order?.... Just off hand, if I'm guessing right, you want to know why you'd shut down if your #2 inlet anti-ice is U/S? ... Just a guess, but if you're in icing conditions, you'd be better off shutting it down than riding along waiting for the fan to be trashed by ice, no?

New on NG
9th Jun 2005, 22:26
Sorry!!! I meant why one have to , during Emergency alert checklist ENG 2 A-ICE DUCT drill shutdown the engine. I could not find a reason to do so. Thanks in advance for your time!!

lomapaseo
10th Jun 2005, 12:31
I'm not familiar with the routing of this anti-ice duct for the center engine. Is it unique onlt to that engine?

If so perhaps the engine drill issue has to do with potential heat damage to the engine if the duct may spill it's hot air onto the engine,

Obviously Boeing has the answer to these questions

sgt_pepper
10th Jun 2005, 22:22
Boa noite, New on NG
Engine 2 supplies hot bleed air to the engine inlet through a double shrouded anti-icing (A/I) duct which runs through the tail. This duct is continuously monitored for an overheat condition due to a burst or a leak by a continuous fire detection unit and its three associated sensing elements.
On fuselage 575 and subsequent the outer shroud of the A/I duct is thinner than that of previous aircraft and this system detection is effective on those airplanes with DEU –908. However this system does not detect fire, only overheat (OVHT). The sensor senses an OVHT about 310 C, and if the cowl A/I valve remains open during the OVHT due to a failure, the ENG 2 A-ICE DUCT level 3 alert will be displayed. So it's time to shutdown before a real fire or any worst condition.
Welcome to MD-11 (as temperamental as a teenager).
Bom treinamento.:ok:
s_p