PDA

View Full Version : A340 Flight Deck

Tonic Please
30th May 2005, 11:18
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=467672&size=L&width=1152&height=780&sok=JURER%20%20%28ZNGPU%20%28nvepensg%2Cnveyvar%2Ccynpr%2Ccu bgb_qngr%2Cpbhagel%2Cerznex%2Ccubgbtencure%2Crznvy%2Clrne%2C ert%2Cnvepensg_trarevp%2Cpa%2Cpbqr%29%20NTNVAFG%20%28%27%2B% 22N340%22%20%2B%22syvtug%22%20%2B%22qrpx%22%27%20VA%20OBBYRN A%20ZBQR%29%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=7&prev_id=673703&next_id=444503

Hi all. Having great interest in the A340, Id like to pose a few questions about the picture.

What does "T TK XFRD" mean?
" " " N/WS DISC" mean?
The "TERR on ND" button?
How does that little box (?) know that there is no active ATC?
Why is there an antiskid switch? Surely you never want to skid?

Thank you all :)

A curious Dan :cool:

holyflurkingschmitt
30th May 2005, 12:22
Not flown the A340 but i think

N/WS DISC is Nose wheel steering disconnect

TERR on ND is terrain on Navigation display (EGPWS)- but its located with landing gear section so might be well off the mark !!!

No Active ATC- thats something to do with the transponder i think, as the A/C appears to be on the ground then there will be no Sqwuak frequency or could possibly be something to do with a data link?

Anti skid switch- Its just another aircraft system so if its faulty you can turn it off but this will incur a performance penalty for t/o and landing.

T TK XFRD: Trim Tank cross feed??? it looks like its been refuelled so it could be transferring fuel from one tank to another, its green so its a normal operation when refuelling by the looks of things.

As i said not flown the 340 so maybe way off the mark with these answers just a guestimate.

HFS :ok:

NWSRG
30th May 2005, 12:23
Layman's guessing here, but...

T TK XFRD: Trim Tank Transferred

TERR on ND: Display terrain information on Navigation Display

N/WS DISC: Nose-wheel steering disconnected

A professional may enlighten more!

White Knight
30th May 2005, 12:33
NO ACTIVE ATC - that's the CPDLC, or to put it the long way Controller Pilot Datalink Communication. Basically, you can log onto an air traffic unit via satcomm, and use a keypad to transmit written messages, and ATC reply via written messages back. Very advanced texting!!

It's a beauty of a system to use when you're over the middle of the Indian Ocean, means that you don't have to use HF comms :ok:

All the other laymans guesses are pretty spot on..

Pegasus77
30th May 2005, 12:44
Hi all,

T TK XFRD means that some time before the airplane estimates it will land (based on the entries in the FMS), all the fuel from the tail (trim) tank is transfrerred forward into the inner tanks. As long as any transfer takes places it is T TK XFR. The trim tank is used in flight to control the CG, to provide an optimum CG for lowest fuel burn.

TERR ON ND is indeed the switch to display critical terrain info on the ND. It shows green for terrain lower than you, and yellow and red (or a little brownish actually) for terrain higher.

Anti skid is controlled by two computers. Resetting the A/SKID makes the other one take over, so if your antiskid fails, you can try if the other computer might work.

"No Active ATC" is shown on the display of the FANS-interface. It is a datalink based pilot-controller communication tool, which is mainly used over the Atlantic, although Maastricht is experimenting as well and there are some other areas (the silk route L888 among others). It makes ATC possible where there normally is a difficult/ hard to read radio connection (anyone who has used HF/Selcal knows what I mean). Also it provides an automatic position report, so voice pos. reports are not necessary anymore.
FANS stands for Future Air Navigation System. The protocol is called CPDLC (that's also what we tell the controller i.e. "Gander, this is XX, CPDLC, Shanwick next"). CPDLC stands for Controller Pilot DataLink Computer (or was the last C Connection, I always forget).

Hope this helps,
Regards,
P77

While I was typing White Knight posted his comment... so the C stands for Connection :-) I never stop learning!

White Knight
30th May 2005, 19:19
Hi P77 - good call:cool: :cool: Don't do the NATS myself, just to say CPDLC and ADS is cracking over Australia, Tasman Sea and Indian Ocean:ok: :ok:

guclu
31st May 2005, 14:26
Hi,

T TK XFRD - Trim tank tranfered (as other people say from the tank in the stablizer to the right and left wing tanks). All the fuel has been transfered.

The green N/WS DISC on the upper ECAM memo is saying that ground personnel has put in the bypass pin in to the nosewheel. So I think the push back car is connected to the nosegear. During this time your input to nosewheel steering will take no affect.

Terr On Nd - Correctly stated by other people.

No ATC is correct.

Antiskid off switch is used when normal braking is unavailable. So when you put antiskid off you will be applying brakes by the emergency system. You can see the indication of this system right side of the landing gear lever.

Best Rgds,

Guclu

Pegasus77
31st May 2005, 15:04
Another reason why it's too bad we stopped flying to Australia ages ago :-)

P77

Max Angle
31st May 2005, 16:31
Nice to see that on the latest aircraft Airbus have finally got more than 2 autobrake settings for landing, about time.