PDA

View Full Version : How good is the A3XX at maintaining the ILS?

BMI701EGCC
27th May 2005, 18:01
Very Good eveing,

How does the A3XX maintain the ILS compared to other aircraft?(with very low winds),does it keep exactly on track, so the magenta diamond is center on the PFD?or does it diviate a quarter 1 deviation either side when on the approach?

My second Q is which is the best aircraft for intercepting the ILS within the least amount of time?i saw a 737 approaching MAN the other day from MIRSI(ILS APP) and it went past the RWY center line and came back to capture it neatly, but then ive seen like the A320 capture it exactly first time, a perfect line for the appraoch,no back-track needed, this may link into whats the best angle to appraoch the ILS course to intercept it neatly.

I no its a long winded Q but i like learning from the best you see!

Comments will be much appriciated,

Thanks,

Scott Waterworth
BMI701EGCC

IRRenewal
27th May 2005, 18:42
Scott,

All modern aircraft are equally 'good' at capturing and maintaining the ILS.

The difference you observed between a 737 and a 320 can be down to a number of reasons:[list=1] The intercept heading given
Finger trouble by the pilots in not arming the approach mode
ATC requirement to increase spacing and make the A/C intercept from the other side[/list=1]No doubt there are more reasons, but I 'no' no others at the moment.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Right Way Up
27th May 2005, 18:55
Groundspeed can be a factor as well. Establishing at 300 kts will test most autopilot systems!;)

NigelOnDraft
27th May 2005, 19:32
How does the A3XX maintain the ILS compared What do you mean the A3XX "maintaining" the ILS ???

Up front of the A3XX are a couple of chaps (or chapesses :) ) and quite often "they" try and maintain the ILS... it is allowed you know :) :) (and when it's my go, no, the magenta diamonds are rarely in the center!!)

Right Way Up
27th May 2005, 20:35
NoD,
As one of my previous trg capts said, you have now got it surrounded!:{