PDA

View Full Version : Etops

Ghostrider777
25th May 2005, 05:08
Hi,

Everyone knows that the B777 meets the ETOPS requirements.My question is that are there any other aircrafts which meet ETOPS requirements?Also,are there still any Russian aircrafts being manufactured?I think aircraft manufacturing in Russia was very active during the Soviet times....What's the scenario now?Thanx.

BRS_Dispatch
25th May 2005, 07:34
ETOPS stands for Extended Twin engine OPerationS. Basically it means that twin engined aircraft can fly for long distances over water as long as they are within a certain amount of flying time from a suitable airfield should the aircraft suffer an engine failiure. Depending on the aircraft the times can be 60min, 80min, 138min, 180min or in the case of the latest B777 207mins.

As for aircraft certified for etops:-

A319CJ
A330
B737BBJ
B757
B767
B777

There are more to that list and I'm sure someone will correct me but that is the basics of it

saman
25th May 2005, 09:24
Until recently only 120 mins (diversion time on one engine from actual position to the nearest suitable airfield) was available on the A320 Family.
A319, A320 and A321 can now all be equipped for ETOPS up to 180 minutes if required by an operator. A318 will also be available so equipped soon if required.

ETOPS has two sides; the aircraft and the operator and both have to be OK to allow ETOPS. For the above aircraft, it's an option requiring a bit more fire suppression for the holds and things like that but it's no big deal.
The MEL and some maintenance elements have a different and more stringent set of rules but operating to that standard is operator dependent, not aircraft and requires the operator to be approved.

Rainboe
25th May 2005, 09:32
Only two engines? Allowing one engine for three hours?...........With people on board?......They should be reported to the FAA immediately! If they object so much to a 747 on three engines NOT doing an immediate emergency landing, and let these airlines set off on two (!!!), well what can I say? My flabber is totally ghasted!