PDA

View Full Version : Headsets on BA Airbus

Flying Dispatcher
21st May 2005, 21:10
Does anyone know if BA issue headsets to its pilots, or options to purchase? If so, what make \ model is provided.

If not, does BA allow you to use your own headset ie. Sennheiser?

Not being a current Bus driver, what is the recomended headset fro this aircraft?

Cheers

FD

Human Factor
21st May 2005, 21:41
BA use Sennheiser ANR of some sort which are (certainly on the 'bus) hardwired to the aircraft so you're unlikely to be able to use your own. Having said that, I flew with a guy a while ago on the Triple (where the headsets aren't hardwired) who had his own preferred set (non-Sennheiser, non-ANR) which worked fine....

Whether or not it's allowed is a different question. ;)

Fargoo
22nd May 2005, 06:19
BA have these on the Bus http://www.headsetsetc.com/senhmec.html

They're not hardwired though so you could unplug and use another make. Company provides the headsets and they stay with the aircraft.

TopBunk
22nd May 2005, 08:10
.... but beware, they do not use a standard jack plug, it is more like a DIN plug.

Having said that, I fail to understand why anyone would want to bother hauling their own headset around - I haven't seen anyone in BA do that for about 10 years.

Human Factor
22nd May 2005, 09:26
.... but beware, they do not use a standard jack plug, it is more like a DIN plug.

Sorry, that's what I meant by hard-wired.

Max Angle
22nd May 2005, 22:27
Having said that, I fail to understand why anyone would want to bother hauling their own headset around - I suppose to avoid using a headset covered in your colleagues earwax, hair grease, and spittle. Everyone in bmi is issued with their own, a much more hygienic solution I think.

TopBunk
23rd May 2005, 07:22
Max

We used to do that about 12 years ago at BA - all 737 pilots at LHR had their own Sennheisers. When we stopped and went to aircraft fit headsets it was a revelation to me - sooo much better. The hygeine problem is resolved by the use of steriwipes.

I, for one, wouldn't go back to carrying my own headset.

Charles Darwin
23rd May 2005, 23:05
Company provides the headsets and they stay with the aircraft.

Are you telling me that a fine company like BA lets you drink each others spit...YUK.
My small airline provides private Sennheisers ANR to all. No ear or mouth diseases:}

SaniCom and other sterilizers are just for mental comfort, huh!