PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

GodisMyCopilot
16th May 2005, 11:41
Hello All

I have decided to get some info straight from the horses mouth here.

What are the chances of getting a job as an instructor with just a PPL, Instructor rating, ATPL ground exams and minimal hours i.e <100? would any school take you on to hour build until you can sit the CPL course and then join them as a full time paid instructor.

I am trying to find out before I embark on the expensive route of ratings and ATPL exams.

Many Thanks

One Hopefull career instructor.....

Foz2
16th May 2005, 12:17
I thought of that a while ago but you need 250 hours (i think) to start an FI course if you only hold a PPL.

Not possible Im afraid.

Good luck.

Foz

GodisMyCopilot
16th May 2005, 13:20
does the 200 hundred hours have to be in a Group A aircraft, I own a moter glider so could the hours I complete in that count?

homeguard
16th May 2005, 14:19
You must realise that this site is not the 'horses mouth'.

To enrol on a course of training for AFI. You require a minimum of hours flying aeroplanes (I don't think TMG counts as such, contact the CAA to be certain), of which;

200 hours minimum (total)
150 hours (PIC)

of which;

30 hours SEP (5 in the 6 months prior to starting the course).
10 hours of instrument flying training
20 hours (PIC) of cross country navigation (including a 300nm trip which includes having landed at two different aerodromes during the course of the flight.)

You must pass the CPL or higher exams prior to starting the course.

All simply put within LASORS

Whopity
17th May 2005, 18:10
AFI rating ceased in 1999! now FI(R)!

JAR-FCL 1.335 (a) states 200 hours of flight time inc 150 PIC (with PPL)

(c) states minimum 30 hours SEP

Therefore time in other aircraft can be included in the flight time. TMGs will count. Do you have a TMG rating or a SLMG rating?

If you have enough hours to do the FI course you have enough to do the CPL course!

average bloke
17th May 2005, 19:01
not sure what you expect to be able to teach someone with just 100 hrs 'experience'. you need to consider the fact that people spend a lot of money on lessons and expect quality instruction in return.

GodisMyCopilot
17th May 2005, 20:29
you see this is what i am trying to find out as the lasors say different things...

for a CPL only a max of 30 hours TMG or SLMG count towards the grand total of the 200 hours required, but the lasors only state that you need 150 hrs PIC of aircraft, does not state which, but i am guessing if in dout it will always be the answer i don't want which will be 200 hrs group A SEP...

Onan the Clumsy
18th May 2005, 16:13
I can give you the US perspective.

To have a CFI rating in the US, you need to take and pass the CFI flight and knowledge tests obviously, but you'll need a Commercial certificate (250 or 190 hours) and have received spin training. There is no specific hours requirement for the CFI certification.

Having said that. I'm confused what you mean by Instructor rating with a PPL. Must be UK terminology.

If I were you (depending on your age etc) I'd start hanging out at a school, slowly building your hours and becoming a fixture. It's all about who you know and being in the right place at teh right time.

Earlier comment about students expecting a quality education is also valid, plus would you feel confident to keep the flight safe, take over if necessary etc?

Good luck though. I hope you make it.

-IBLB-
19th May 2005, 15:11
Onan, in the JAA associated countries (UK being one of them) it is (for some strange reason) possible to hold an Flight Instructor rating on a Private Pilot License having passed atleast the CPL written exams. You don't need to hold an actual Commercial Certificate, or an Instrument Rating, which you do for an CFI-airplane in the US system.

GodisMyCopilot, A job as an instructor, having only a PPL and the passed the writtens, is not possible i believe. Simply for the reason that you hold a Private Pilot Certificate, and not a Commercial Pilot Certificate, so you are not able to get any form of payment. (someone correct me if i am wrong)
Second of all, even if you start teaching for free, the question is, will you get a lot of students. Having so little experience, you might run into trouble with students not willing to accept things, or not feeling happy or even safe (justified or not) with you as an instructor.

-IBLB-

Foz2
19th May 2005, 16:02
You can instruct on a PPL in the UK but you must have the required hours as stated above and have sat and passed either the CPL or ATPL exams. You obviously need the FI rating aswell. You do not need to have a CPL however if you dont have one you cant be paid.

Spare a thought though for paid instructors who wouldnt be best pleased if someone came along and offered their proffesion for free.

Foz

GodisMyCopilot
22nd May 2005, 21:32
Thanks for all the information everyone, I think I have decided a plan of action,

Complete my ATPL exams

Build my hrs up on my TMG and also some bigger group A aircaft

get a loan and complete my CPL/FI(R)

start my new founded career!