PDA

View Full Version : EASA and STC's

Knold
14th May 2005, 18:29
Hi all,

We’re importing an aircraft (MD83) which has two STCs that are hard to trace. If anyone has some help to give here it would be much appreciated.

The battle between EASA and FAA is making it really hard on companies like mine. EASA does not recognise FAA approved STCs while FAA (this far) recognises EASA ones.
The interesting part of this is that an STC done in let’s say Norway is not recognise because Norway is not a part of the EU. Now, should Norway decide to join the EU tomorrow, the STCs would automatically be recognised. Bureaucracy makes the world go round huh?

When checking EASAs website they have indeed a list of STCs, the only problem is that it is “coming soon” and has been “coming soon” for over 8 months.

Since EASA is unable to produce a list of approved STCs it is up to us as an operator to check
with each EASA member country if they already have the STC approved. Some of these countries does not have this information available or if they do it’s in the local language.

I’m looking for some help here.
Does anyone know of a resource where EASA approved STC’s and by which member country are listed?

The STCs are “ST01554AT” and “SA3165NM” in case anyone has specific knowledge about them.

GotTheTshirt
14th May 2005, 19:17
Hi Knold,
Yes it's a real nightmare !!
FAA do not recognise EASA so no relationship there !!

As far as FAA STC's are concerned it is still a question of Bi- laterals and depends on the agreement between your NAA ( National Airworthiness Authority) and FAA.
Again all the JAR countries have different Bi-Laterals with the FAA.:confused:

For Example UK accept FAA STC provided they comply with UK performance criteria where this is part of the STC.
An interesting side note is that the original BAE146 cargo conversion ( The QT) was done by Pemco under an FAA STC and accepted by the UK CAA :p

There is list of STC's on the FAA website but I guess you have looked there.
Let me know what they are and I will try and get some info for you :cool:

Knold
14th May 2005, 20:31
Hi GotTheTshirt, thanks for replying.

The first one is ST01554AT, this is an expansion of three parameters for the DFDR. Originally Allied Signal then Honeywell who sold the STC to L3 I think.

Second one is SA3165NM, this is the Floor proximity emergency escape path lighing. This is an odd one, the lights are mounted on each seat row. Manufactured by Bruce. Information about this one is very scarce.

About the FAA site, yes I've checked it. Doesn't help me though.

This bloody EASA is going to be the end of all reason and aviation. :yuk:

GotTheTshirt
16th May 2005, 20:19
Knold,
What register are you going onto ?

Check your PM

GTS