PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions on GA........

Arclite01
1st May 2005, 19:45
Hi

There doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff on these forums about GA in Canada so........ here we go

I'm thinking about emigrating to Canada (not to work in aviation you'll be pleased to hear !)

Some questions for you:

1. Does GA just shut down over the winter in Canada or do the GA aerodromes continue to operate as normal once the runways are swept ?

2. I am thinking of having a strip of my own - are there any planning regulations or is it Ok to operate with minimum involvement from the authorities (as long as I am using it for my own personal use and it's not inside controlled airspace)

3. I have a JAR PPL does this need to be converted to a Transport Canada PPL or can I just continue to operate on my UK PPL ? (as both countries are JAA signatories)

4. Are most aircraft on the Canadian register or are there a lot of N register aeroplanes in Canada ?, are there advantages to keeping an aeroplane on the N register or is it better on the Canadian register ?

5. I am thinking of a Cub/Supercub or Yak-12 are these suited to the Canadian Climate - any experience gratefully received........

6. Another thought is a motorglider (my first love) - any thoughts or experience on operating these in Canada ?

Any feedback gratefully received. Have not decided on location yet but would probably be Toronto, Ontario, Ottawa or maybe Manitoba (near Winnipeg - I am a telecoms/IT Project Manager you see......)

Any help or comments gratefully receieved.

cheers

Arc

rigpiggy
2nd May 2005, 01:08
check out tranport canada's website. they have a civil a/c register. super cub or cessna are the preferred a/c just put heaters, and winter fronts on them. go for manitoba. TO's expensive. even if you get 60% of the pay you'll be ahead in the long run

rotornut
2nd May 2005, 10:53
1. Does GA just shut down over the winter in Canada or do the GA aerodromes continue to operate as normal once the runways are swept ?

Yes, definitely. There's still a lot of private flying in the winter.

Also, I can tell you I have farmer friends who have private airstrips in the province of Alberta. Although I'm not up to date on this, I understand there are no regulatory hassles unless the strip is licensed.

YYZ
2nd May 2005, 16:27
3. I have a JAR PPL does this need to be converted to a Transport Canada PPL or can I just continue to operate on my UK PPL ? (as both countries are JAA signatories)

You need a FLVC issued via TC which costs 45.00 CAD and takes 10 mins to issue, this is valid for 1 year subject to your medical.

Or you could just take your Canadian test?

YYZ

Arclite01
2nd May 2005, 18:04
Thanks for responses guys.

When we emigrate I think I'll probably convert to a TC licence and then take the test for a Canadian licence.

Anyone got any thoughts on the motorglider ?? I hear the soaring conditions are superb in the summer. Winter I'll just put it away....... and fly something else.

Another question - are most Canadian pilots friendly/sociable - it'll probably be one of the best ways to make new friends when we arrive......

cheers

Arc

YYZ
2nd May 2005, 20:48
Summer is good but, depending where you are in the country it can get very hazy, allot worse than the UK, winter is really clear, can see for miles! But very cold and generally lots of white stuff.
I have been flying allot this month in Ontario and have had about 20 fantastic days with only around 4 not flyable.

You will have to fly and see once you get here and work it all out as you go, just like you would at home.

Good luck
YYZ

BeechNut
4th May 2005, 01:11
Don't know much about motorgliders, but a Super Cub, if you can find/afford one (they're WAY overpriced these days, $70k cdn for a good 150 horse one), is ideal for the Frozen North which, suprisingly, does thaw for a few months a year. You can put a Super Cub on floats or wheels in summer, skis in winter. I myself own a Beech C23 Sundowner. I do typically fly it in winter, our field happens to be the same one used by the Prime Minister to reach his country estate...therefore always kept in good shape. Last winter I didn't fly though as I took the opportunity to get some preventive maintenance done. As luck would have it there were more good flying days than the previous winter.

Canadian pilots are indeed a friendly bunch. Get into trouble at a Canadian airfield and if there are any pilots around, they'll swarm down on you to help. It's not unusual to land at a small municipal field and have the manager/owner/whatever, often a pilot himself, loan you his personal car to go into town to visit or grab a bite to eat, or to give you a lift to a motel if you get stuck by weather. It's a big country with often nasty weather (snow in winter, thunderstorms in summer, hence the good soaring), and every pilot has been stuck at least once. So we tend to be helpful to each other. You do get the odd "I know the rules better than you" types, or the opposite "rules be damned". Fortunately the minority.

Farm strips: my buddy has one. Really depends on the tolerance of the neighbours; built-up areas are a no-no. On his farm strip the only restriction is to not overfly a local turkey farm, and the rather large 1000 ft mountain right off the departure end (for the usual prevailing winds). Soft field technique, level off, grab some speed, and immediate left climbing turnout. A 3300 ft landing strip CAN seem short sometimes!

Overall you'll love flying here. Almost complete freedom compared to Europe. Even Transport Canada is usually manageable if you don't do anything stupid. If you set up in the praries you could go NORDO and no transponder and still have loads of flying fun. Throw in a set of floats and a fishing rod, and suddenly 60% of the North becomes an airstrip and fly-through fish market...

Welcome, and if you pass through CZBM (Bromont Quebec), the gang has coffee and breakfast every Saturday morning, then we go flying. Look out for the yellow aerobatic Sundowner!

Mike

Arclite01
7th May 2005, 20:51
Beechnut

Thanks for your friendly and informative reply.

I certainly will look out for you when we arrive.

cheers

Arc :ok: