PDA

View Full Version : Nose Gear Failure on B737

LEM
29th Apr 2005, 07:51
An unusual sim scenario has been given recently:

During pushback, while starting the second engine, the nose gear fails.

Now, anybody knows if on the 737 the engines will touch the ground without the nose gear?

Would you evacuate or not? (I would make the passengers deplane calmly using the front exit only... but not everybody agrees...)

:hmm:

BOAC
29th Apr 2005, 08:32
A quick straight-edge across the general layout diags in the manual suggests that most variants would just 'crunch' the bottom of the cowlings, with, I suspect, minor external damage - perhaps a design feature?

As to evacuation - how long is a piece of string? How hard was the impact? Did you shut down quickly? Are there any signs of fire/smoke/fuel leaks? Did you collapse onto a tug with engine running and full of fuel? I suspect I would have the DV windows open PDQ and make a subjective decision at the time. Popping a front chute would not be a great help in this situation - it would most likely hinder evac from the front doors. An evac would need to be carefully briefed with the c/crew as to which doors to use and how - and you could, of course, finish up with more pax at the front doors than the back doors - due to Sir Isaac. :D

Work on the assumption that whatever you do is going to be picked over at leisure:* - as it probably was! What did the TRE say and was there any official 'guidance' quoted?

CaptainSandL
29th Apr 2005, 09:02
Hi LEM,

You have got some great sim instructors haven't you!

My ruler across the line drawings shows that the 737-300 will possibly touch the cowls, the -500 will probably touch, and that the -400 and all the NG's will miss.

I have had a look through my library of photos of such incidents but there always seemed to be rescue vehicles in the way of the cowls to see if it actually is the case.

Incidentally, the aircraft coming to rest in an unusual attitude is one of the occaisions that our cabin crew can initiate an evacuation without instruction from the Captain. So you may want to check your door lights to see if they have not already gone!

S&L

LEM
29th Apr 2005, 09:58
Thanks for the replies, Gents.

No that didn't happen to me, the rumour is one youg examiner is giving all sort of strange scenarios... some of them interesting, btw.

I htink I also would open the windows and make a decision, but certainly I wouldn't start by shouting "Evacuate, evacuate" on the PA...

The question is: is there any risk of fire?
I really don't think so.

Certainly the aft doors are to remain closed, as the chutes would be pretty vertical due to the attitude.
(I'd like to see the A380's slide in this situation...;) )

BOAC
29th Apr 2005, 10:33
I'd like to see the A380's slide in this situation - LEM! You may well, wake 411A with that! Thread was going ok 'til then:D