PDA

View Full Version : Vision Problems

FlyinLow
27th Mar 2005, 03:31
I was just wondering, say if I have a commerical pilot lience with a passed catergory 1 medical. Can national airlines or companies hold back in giving me a job just because I wear glasses.

Lock n' Load
27th Mar 2005, 08:59
As far as I'm aware, airlines have every right to set company medical standards for pilots and cabin crew, over and above those required by law.

Safety Guy
27th Mar 2005, 13:05
While a company may have that right, they best be very careful in how they administer it. Since there is a government standard which allows commercial pilots to fly with some level of vision correction, discrimination against someone who has passed that medical standard would be asking for legal trouble. It's been several decades since an airline in Canada has restricted pilot recruitment due to vision standards.

While most companies will have you take a medical when being hired, that has more to do with performing drug testing and making sure there aren't any hidden medical concerns (i.e. things that can be found in a blood test) which wouldn't show up in a TC medical. If you wear glasses, unless they look like the bottom of an old cola bottle, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

FlyinLow
27th Mar 2005, 21:38
Thanks for the reply.

I am planning to start in the aviation career once I finish my engineering degree, but still I have doubts. I currently have a PPL, and unless I plan to go in this career I have no real use of getting a CPL.