PDA

View Full Version : CASA photo licences

UnderneathTheRadar
25th Mar 2005, 22:16
Just a heads up on the photo license for current PPLs (or non-ATPLs) following on from previous posts.

At Avalon last weekend the CASA bloke I asked said that there are only 3-4 weeks left to submit your application before you will be charged for license.

He also said that the form would now be downloadable from the CASA website but I can't find it yet......

UTR.

Capt Fathom
25th Mar 2005, 23:24
Photo Licence Application (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/photo/index.htm)

That took about a minute to find on the CASA website !

UnderneathTheRadar
26th Mar 2005, 01:01
Congratulations!

SsaKcaj
26th Mar 2005, 04:08
UTR,

I spoke to CASA photo licencing in CB directly and the the following response:

Only initial licences are being processed at the moment ie. Student PL's, all others are in a box under the desk (including mine which has been there for well over a month). They have not charged for them yet because they couldn't under the old regulations and background police checks have not been done. Photo licences people have recieved already are merely a licence with a photo, no police checks done. Now that new regualtions are in place and background checks will be required for all licence holders by 31 Dec 05, they will start charging (which they can do under the new regs). Expect it to cost around $150. When they actually start charging up front is a matter of time, but all will be charged either up-front or retrospectively, even if you have already recieved your photo licence. If you have not had the background checks done, the new regulations allow them to suspend your licence until it has been done (this is not applicable for current ASIC holders). The new form the guy at CASA you spoke to is police background check form, the photo licence form remains the same. see here (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/photo/index.htm)

All photo licences and background checks will be charged for whether you have applied before they ask for payment or not. Even if you have recieved your photo licence, you will be required to pay the fee or they will suspend your licence at 31 Dec 04.

I have spoken to several different people is CASA and they all give you a different response WRT charging. I don't think any of them actually know, however this was the respose I got directly from the photo licencing department, so I would believe this the most (unfortunatley)!

I don't know how they can charge retrospectively, but apparently they can (that is what they tell me).

zepthiir
26th Mar 2005, 06:48
i think you will find if they try to charge your for something they have already sent you then it will become a huge fair trading issue.

Government department or not they are not immune from the law. In order to charge for something you have to follow the forms ie "how much for that apple? 50cents sir. Ok thanks Ill take it"

Not "How much for that apple? Its free at the moment sir. Ok thanks I'll take it. Oh by the way sir the price has just gone up to 50cents and even though you have already eaten it I will now have to charge you"

Sorry for the bad grammar by the way but I am sure you get my point. If you want to charge someone for something then you have to make them aware of the costs before a commitment is made. It is then up to the customer to either agree to the cost and buy the item or disagree and go without.

SsaKcaj
26th Mar 2005, 07:02
zepthiir,

I agree with you WRT to the "offer-acceptance" laws, but it is also not trade.

I hope you are right... that is the only reason I put my application in early!!!:yuk:

beer bong
26th Mar 2005, 08:41
Fathom: Mate u are good........:*

What gets me is why CASA wanna know about your traffic infingments??

I aint gonna tell em sh!t

Bong on!

Capt Fathom
26th Mar 2005, 10:11
Gee thanks guys. I appreciate the accolades. Let me know if you need help to fill out the forms. :ok:

Biggles_in_Oz
26th Mar 2005, 21:25
On the APPLICATION FOR AVIATION SECURITY STATUS CHECK form
it has
6. The application will not be processed unless you have paid the correct fee to CASA.
and the 'correct fee' is ? :confused:

and why do they want applicants to disclose if they have or had any charges/convictions/penalties ??
Isn't that the purpose of the check ?
Seems to me that they don't know and want us to help them get their records straight.

I like the AFP disclaimer on page-2.

Richo
28th Mar 2005, 11:33
Biggles

I belive that the current CASA admin cost for procesing a licence is $22 (or there abouts). The other charges will come later and are not for CASA admin costs but for the AFP (Aust. Federal Police)background checks.

If the current numbers mentiond in this post are added up it comes to :

$22 CASA admin fee +
$150 Background check (AFP) =
$172

I belive (from the same CASA changing answers) that the actual cost of the AFP check will depend on the amount of DIGGING required to confirm the identity and accuracy of the information provided. So BBong be carefull in not completing the form or giving all the info as it may $ cost you.

I was recently told by a very trustworth source that you WILL be charged the fee regardless of the date of application, as has been described earlier in this thread. The applications received to date have not been assessed by AFP and only Student and OS applications are bieng done at the moment.

A friend pointed out that he was going to wait, as by his reconing CASA will get around to sending letters to CPL holders with very late alphabetical surnames by 2007 or 2008. meanwhile he can hold onto his dollars and hope that someone will see sence and F*%$#k of this charge.

PS.. The ASIC vs Photo licence thing has apparently raised its head again, with AFP asking why duplication of the process is required. Maybe some CDF is going to be shown.
And I still have not seen an inrease in the cost of ASIC yet even though the same background check is required??.

I started the application, same as many others did, but withdrew it. I will just wait and hold my money untill I have to pay it.

Richo

CockpitJunkie
28th Mar 2005, 14:24
An Update

CASA can't charge fees at the moment as the fees weren't included in the Regs. Forms were prepared in anticipation.

Still apply for your Photo ID now to avoid the charges. If you have a Photo ID apply for the Police check now. When the AFP Police check fee comes in it will be around $35+

CASA currently can't charge for anything to do with Photo ID or background checks as there is no legislation to currently allow them to do it (SNAFU).

However, an amendment is being rushed through in the next week or so to introduce charges.

The legislation cannot be retrospective for charges. So if your application is sitting in front of them in Canberra, they cannot charge whether it is for a full Photo ID and all checks, or just for the AFP Check (for those who already have a Photo ID issued since July 2004).

For the latest on photo licences (and they have changed the title) see http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/photo/index.htm

There are changes affecting persons under 18 and holders of current ASIC cards.

Extract below from CASA website for others:

Application forms
During the next two weeks, applicants wanting a new flight crew licence (note this does not include the reprinting of an existing licence) are required to fill in an application form http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form639.pdf and a criminal records check - consent form http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regu...policecheck.pdf

Changes to requirements
Starting 10 March 2005, CASA may only issue a flight crew licence or special pilot licence if the applicant meets the requirements in the new regulations. If you have applied for a flight crew licence or special pilot licence recently and you have not been issued with the licence, you should complete the criminal records check - consent form. http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regu...policecheck.pdf

Still apply for your Photo ID now to avoid the charges. If you have a Photo ID apply for the Police check now. When the AFP Police check fee comes in it will be around $35+

There is supposed to be an electronic application form coming out to assist in completing details online and then print out for use.

VH-TEACH
6th Apr 2005, 06:28
Any more news??

I called YSCB and they told me more info to be given in 3 weeks time. :yuk:

Perhaps once you get a the new formatted pilots licence, the security checks may not be required when getting the Oz- wide ASICard.

Why would they do another check again? Is it for quality control or to raise more money?:}

gadgetguru
6th Apr 2005, 07:52
did my flight test end of feb
submitted all the doco the next day

it took over 21 days for it to reach canberra from melbourne, but apparently the bottleneck is in the ACT?!

anyway week 6 & still nothing

good system that

RYAN TCAD
6th Apr 2005, 10:22
Well, they ain't getting a brass razoo from meeeee. Have an ASIC Auswide, and they can't do better than that!

Richo
6th Apr 2005, 12:40
Recived a letter from DOTARS today in the mail. It contained two glossy brochures explaining the ASIC / Photo Licence and Security issues.

I Suppose you will all get one shortly, but of interest I note that ASIC cards are valid for two years and Photo licenecs are valid for 5.

If you apply for ASIC within two years of Photo Licence issue it will be granted without police (ASIO) check, for up to the two year period of the photo licence. No words about if you already have ASIC, I mean if you renew one each two years, why do I ever need to renew my photo licence. I would have thought if one is good for the other, why not the other way round as well.

Also of intrest is that it is OK acording to the brochure to lock your aircraft with a padlock to a suitable (?) tie down point. Sounds like the cheapest option to me, if you have a suitable (?) tie down point handy.

Richo

DeltaSix
7th Apr 2005, 02:39
and why do they want applicants to disclose if they have or had any charges/convictions/penalties ??

Are these guys from CASA for real ?....... since we are paying them, why dont they check it themselves ?

:ooh:

hadagutful
7th Apr 2005, 13:00
Welcome to the brave new world, folks of big brother CASA and all the other beauracratic depts.

I have been posting like others for months on this topic and I am angry that we are incurring more unnecessary costs. Costs that should be borne by the community, why?
...............................because terrorism and security is a society problem, NOT just a pilot issue. I'd like to know how many terrorists there are amongst the GA pilot fraternity but I think I know the answer.

Look if they want to check me out, let em go right ahead, I just object to being forced to pay for it all if I want to maintain my licence.
On top of that, all the time and effort to fillout forms, get photos, provide documentary evidence etc. It is just a lot of bloody nonesense.

The frustrating thing is there is not a damn thing we can do about it, it is now L......A......W. law!

As for why they want to know your traffic convictions etc. my guess is they could possibly deny issue of a licence if there is any criminality involved.

TeleMaPhone
10th Apr 2005, 02:14
What is the deal for pilot's looking at getting their PPL (but have old non-photo licences)? Do they need a Photo SPL before they sit the test? How long will it take for the licence to actually come?

Ultralights
10th Apr 2005, 02:39
found out yesterday why my licence Issue has taken soooooo fukin long! still havent got it yet, been over 120 days now,

even though i have held an ASIC for the past 11 yrs, whats holding them up is my...................... Firearms licence!

FCUK I HATE THIS ****!

Spotlight
10th Apr 2005, 04:32
Typical, bloody typical. Ultralights, don't you feel so much safer now? I tend to think no-one will be knocked back however come any incident the suspects antecedents will be flung out like a red carpet

A Sydney man was questioned today by members of the prime ministers special task force. Charges are yet to be laid however it is understood that the man, James al Ultralights had applied for a gun licence in 1994. The fact that this man was allowed to own firearms is expected to raise several serious questions.

OZBUSDRIVER
10th Apr 2005, 08:45
I hope U aren't serious Ultralights:( I can see it now, my licence will be held up until members of ASIO raid my residence to make sure I dispossed of my weapons:mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: And someone on this forum got up me once about not trusting bureaucrats:mad: :mad: :mad:

WLM
10th Apr 2005, 09:22
Very interesting re the firearms licence issue. I had a pistol licence until 1 year ago, licensed by CASA and the Federal Transport bureau to carry it while on flying duties..(helicopters of course). So I will be quite keen to see what will happen when I apply for my Photo Casa ID...:confused:

Ultralights
10th Apr 2005, 09:45
the only weapon i have is my direct possesion is my grandfathers WWII issue weapon! never been fired since the end of hostilities. and i need the licence to make thing legal whne visiting relatives in the west of the state on large properties, all weapons are stored there, in purpose built gun rooms!

i have held that licence since the early 90's

i nver dreamed it would be an issue till now.

the great irony is, all this BULL****E creates the urge to fly my plane into parliment house, but little good that will do. as we all know a light aircraft poses no real threat to any substantial structure..... i think im gonna cry now....

and i would be pretty certain, now with these piles of rules and regulation now in force, it would now be technically Illegal for anyone in Oz to fly an aircraft. if somone would just sit down and search all the paperwork, we could all stop flying, and claim, not industrial action, but governament action in banning aircraft from being flown!

Im sure the public would love that!!

just like it is technically illegal to drive a car out of your driveway!

Matt-YSBK
11th Apr 2005, 10:20
After telephone tag between DOTARS and Sydney Airport I got these answers from a friendly DOTARS dude.

a) I will need a ASIC as a private pilot if i want to visit Coffs, Gold Coast or Canberra with my one personal aircraft based at Bankstown.
b) I need to Ring Sydney Airport to get one.
c) I Will need it by 20 December or ELSE.

The not as friendly person at Sydney Airport Security and ID Services. Could not understand that i did not work at Sydney airport let alone did not work in aviation but took my name and address and said they would send me a form and i should send it back and my card would be sent to me. (She did not even sound like she was writing my details down you know that Telstra feeling) Anyway that was Friday still no sign of any forms will followup if i get em.
Oh she also said i should inclose a cheque made out to Sydney airport

No doubt this will pay for a few camel suits.

Angle of Attack
12th Apr 2005, 02:32
The best thing you can do is send that letter and glossy brochures straight back, thats what I did. With all this extra cost everyone is paying in response to so called security threats, those brochures sum it up perfectly, its all gloss and for public perception because it does f#&k all for security as we all know! Apart from the fact that light aircraft are practically useless for real damage, whats going to stop someone with a pair of boltcutters to steal an aircraft... exactly! Nothing! There is no security at most regional airfields as we all know. Doesnt seem to be many restrictions on truck hire and access to any major CBD in them... hmm tossers!

Time Bomb Ted
12th Apr 2005, 03:31
Just to make matters worse...

I have a lovely letter in my hand from Brisbane Airport Corporation. They now want another $50 for a security bond. Jeeze Louise...

"To meet our recovery obligation, we will be introducing a $50.00 security bond on all BAC ASIC's issued from 1 July 2005."

"We have been forced into this measure to meet our regulatory obligation and due to a poorer than expected ASIC return rate from card holders. We also face a $1,000 fine if we don't give it back if it is damaged, altered, defaced or no longer required.

What next???

TBT

Ultralights
12th Apr 2005, 09:49
"To meet our recovery obligation, we will be introducing a $50.00 security bond on all BAC ASIC's issued from 1 July 2005."

this sound like typical stage government of NSW crap.

we made it a user pays system,. but no one is paying the excessive costs, so to recover what we thought we were going to get, will will increase costs! and add a tax..

so if im flying from Hoxton, enroute to Hervey Bay, and overhead coffs harbour. suffer a catastrophic engine failure, am i leagally allowed to land safely at Coffs, or do i have to put her down on a beach or the pacific Hwy, as i dont hold an ASIC?

or can i land there, but remain forever inside the aircraft for fear of arrest should i leave it and venture onto the solid earth without a ASIC?

Sunfish
12th Apr 2005, 22:11
And what if you have the temerity to carry a Leatherman? Furthermore, inadvertant non complaince, let alone refusal to comply with any of this stuff will compromise your licence, ASIC, the lot.

I think I understand that YMMB is to be totaly fenced, camera'd and combination locked.

Yet it still doesn't answer the basic question. What is to stop Al Qaeeda from buying an aircraft undetected or hiring it from some regional operator who does NOT have security?

Furthermore, what is to stop a terrorist from stealing an aircraft from an unattended hangar at Hamilton or elsewhere?

Then of course there is the entire RAA fleet.

QSK?
12th Apr 2005, 23:45
AoA:"The best thing you can do is send that letter and glossy brochures straight back..."Great suggestion! Lets all do that but, remember, don't put your name on the return envelope!

Peaceful and effective protest. I like it!

locusthunter
13th Apr 2005, 14:33
A Sydney man was questioned today by members of the prime ministers special task force. Charges are yet to be laid however it is understood that the man, James al Ultralights had applied for a gun licence in 1994. The fact that this man was allowed to own firearms is expected to raise several serious questions.

Eventually someone is going to have to justify these extra security costs- surely there would be some pressure somewhere to make arrests or at least detainments? The whole thing has to be "seen to be effective" after all.

...and can some Legal Eagle Ppruner please give Mr. James al Ultralights some advice...

In relation to suspected terrorist activity - can Mr. Ultralights (a member of the highly dangerous Jabiru organisation) be detained, without charge, indefinately?? Must he be charged within a certain time-frame? Can he be harrassed endlessly?

:confused:

Spotlight
13th Apr 2005, 15:00
Sunfish. Possibly an area you have not dabbled in. The registration of an aircraft you have bought has become mucho difficult in Aus in recent years. In fact an individual has great difficulty. Must be incorporated. Can you list the reasons why?

Pay cash and promise to sort the forms out later, certainly possibly for a bugsmasher but then the inate behaviour of the seller must be considered.

Sunfish
13th Apr 2005, 20:36
True Spotlight, but to go further, why can't Al Qaeeda buy a company (shelf price about $1000) and then buy an aircraft?

Spotlight
15th Apr 2005, 00:05
Yeah I guess so, they're cunning buggers I hear. Personally I very much doubt any terror from the skies scenario from light aircraft.

The other idea being promoted that airline pilots could be forced to act under duress because the family was being threatened or some such is an absolute non-starter. Pilots by and large are intelligent people and in a nanosecond would see the imperative of the greater good!

The 11th of September hijackers may have coerced pilots to allow access to the flightdeck under threat of violence to hosties and pax, but that flaw is now well understood.

An example of resiliance is the Boeing pilot ditching his aircraft off Mauritiaus while being axe attacked in an attempt to have him crash into a resort.

Aviation in Australia at least is not a soft target. So I wish they would stop hassling the people at the coal face for something to do!

calafradulistic
15th Apr 2005, 10:24
After telephone tag between DOTARS and Sydney Airport I got these answers from a friendly DOTARS dude.

a) I will need a ASIC as a private pilot if i want to visit Coffs, Gold Coast or Canberra with my one personal aircraft based at Bankstown.
b) I need to Ring Sydney Airport to get one.
c) I Will need it by 20 December or ELSE.

The not as friendly person at Sydney Airport Security and ID Services. Could not understand that i did not work at Sydney airport let alone did not work in aviation but took my name and address and said they would send me a form and i should send it back and my card would be sent to me. (She did not even sound like she was writing my details down you know that Telstra feeling) Anyway that was Friday still no sign of any forms will followup if i get em.
Oh she also said i should inclose a cheque made out to Sydney airport

No doubt this will pay for a few camel suits.

You didn't do any better than I did. I even ended up contacting the Ministers office - they said that someone form DOTARS would call back in 2-3 days with details about online applications (so far my phone isn't ringing). BAC won't process private pilots, Archerfield ins't interested as no RPT, Gold Coast won't look after anyone not associated with their airport. It seems that even if we *did* want an ASIC we are unable to obtain one for any amount of money! Just as well we fly better than they organise their paper empires. The way they're going the whole thing wil be cancelled, postponed or there won't be much flying come Christmas between DOTARS and CASA.

cirrus32
4th May 2005, 06:52
I at least managed to get an ASIC application form from Melbourne Airport. However as I don't have an employer at Melbourne Airport to "sponsor" my application I can't complete the form! Obviously not set up for a private GA pilot like myself.

Has any private pilot managed to get as ASIC yet?? If so, how?

puff
4th May 2005, 10:35
I emailed DOTARS to ask the questions a lot of you have posed, how does a PPL or CPL not employed in aviation actually get an ASIC, after 3 weeks I got a reply to say that I posed some interesting questions that they would respond to within 3-4 weeks....still waiting........

Deaf
4th May 2005, 13:05
Stupidity

The way I understand it basically every pilot (xx,000 of them) will need a RED ASIC good for anyware (SY, ML etc) very poor security idea. Why not use a green/blue/yellow/whatever ASIC (ie photo card license) to cover all the new stuff (any place that didn't require an ASIC 9/3/05).

This however would require some logic and understanding of security by DOTARS.

If you don't have an ASIC a camel suit will do.

Sunfish
5th May 2005, 07:06
Had a lovely flight a few weeks ago to parts northern and western. Not a wheel clamp in sight and the boundary fences wouldn't keep a dingo out let alone a human on any of the airports.

10000FT
6th May 2005, 07:21
i just rang up to try and have my photo id processed and was told to call back in a couple of months because the facilities weren't set up yet to process the applications???

Chimbu chuckles
6th May 2005, 10:33
Sunfish the B767 ditching off Mauritias was due fuel starvation...the terrorists refused to let the captain divert and land for fuel so he could actually take them where they wanted to go...Australia from memory.

But you are right....we sit behind a bullet proof, locked door these days and won't open it for anything...not even serial decapitations of cabin crew, family members or pax...if they are going to that length to get into the flight deck we all know what will come next.

I personally believe I'll never face that scenario because the terrorists know it as well as anyone and I doubt that 911 style attacks will happen again...pity DOTARS/Polliticians see it as a way to control people/build empires....fear of the incredibly unlikely.

Sad really...one of the really nice parts of the job was cockpit visits from pax...both adult and kids but particularly kids.

As far as ASIC cards for non professional/employed pilots...well is anyone surprised that the whole deal wasn't terribly well thought through?

Have the useless morons thought about foriegn crews? I don't have an ASIC since I work for a foriegn carrier but I operate B767s in and out of Oz regularly...as do the crews of numerous airlines...many crewed by Ozzies/yanks/brits etc but also many crewed by people who might be viewed as 'suspect' or who fit the profilers potentially nasty list....what are DOTARS going to do about them? Absolutely NOTHING!!!

But lets hammer all the C152/210/PA28 crowd...it's a common human condition I see fairly often...can't really control this or that for political reasons so hammer those you can control twice as hard.

Or is the answer actually a little more sinister than that...make it impossible for GA to go to larger airports by making it impossible to get a 'security' clearance?

Chuck

NOtimTAMs
7th May 2005, 05:33
.....Larger airfields, CC??

Look at the list of security airports, it includes such airports as: Barcaldine, Blackall, Julia Creek, Thargomindah, Cobar, Coonamble and Narrabri!!!

Absolute waste of time, money and effort :*

triadic
7th May 2005, 07:19
Don't hold your breath....

Me thinks this is all going to change as those in CBR come to terms with the monster they have created and now don't know how to control.

Pinky the pilot
7th May 2005, 12:49
And re the 'requirement' for ASIC cards at various regional airfields. Recently (as in just over a week ago) ferried a PA34 through YBKE and YGDI and at both places after taxiing in and shutting down.......t'was not a soul to be seen!
No-one to see or be seen to check for valid ASIC cards!!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Captain Sand Dune
7th May 2005, 21:42
......and I'm assuming the Dept. of Defence will pay for ASICs for all ADF aircrew.:hmm:
If not, I guess all ADF pilot training at YSTW will cease come December.:}

Jards
11th May 2005, 03:59
Dept of Defence won't pay for any of thier people to get one as ADF member on duty just have to show their ID card.

Maybe I will simply fly in uniform from now on and just show my ID. Would be a pain in the butt on holidays, but seems a simpler solution than a private pilot trying to do the right thing and get an ASIC.

I have also sent an email to DOTARS specifically for an Australia wide ASIC for private pilots and await their response.

Cheers
Jards

Jards
11th May 2005, 06:04
Well DOTARS got back to me quick smart

here is what they said:

Thank you for your email.

We are indeed endeavouring to address the exact issues you have
described below.

We are currently in the finalisation stages of updating our website,
which will contain the ASIC application form, and a list of Issuing
Bodies, including an Issuing Body to cater for private pilots such as
yourself.

Please check the website in a couple of weeks, when I'm sure the updated
information, including the form will be posted.

Your current pilots license should cover you for our background checking
purposes, as long as your background checks were undertaken within the
last two years.

Kind regards

Aviation Security Identity Team
Office of Transport Security
Email: [email protected]

So there you have it from the horses mouth. I eagerly await the couple of weeks to see what I can get off their website.

Cheers
Jards

185skywagon
11th May 2005, 06:13
has anyone ahd the pleasure of swapping their aircraft to the new part 47 rego regs?? what a pain.
the whole thing appears easier if you are a company.
the other thing i would say, is that it is much easier to use a passport for ID than anythings else. i have got my ASIC card for Qantas ground handling but not for my CPL. i am hoping common sense will mean that they cross reference my security check for my flight crew Card. :\

radman
12th May 2005, 12:00
luckly i just purchased my aircraft and was pointed out the right forms from the start , no matter what everyone says casa was extremely helpful , still don't have my photo lic though:O

kookabat
12th May 2005, 12:45
Been waiting four weeks for my licence - not that that's particularly impressive just yet. Mate of mine passed his PPL more than FOUR MONTHS ago and is yet to receive his brand new shiny photo licence. We reckon they found something in the background check...:E And not being able to fly without the actual licence sucks, he's no longer current either:{

Matt-YSBK
23rd May 2005, 02:17
As promised I would let you all know when my photo licence came back. It was exactly two months. I am not sure if they did my background checks or not it does not say anywhere that they were done. However I have a PPL and a photo licence and it was not the initial issue. all I did was send the form and photos from the CASA website. So far I have not seen any invoice or notification of charge. So looks free at the time being.

Still no luck on the ASIC but I did write a letter to AOPA suggesting they should try and issue them. (might make them useful) They did not reply.

Deaf
23rd May 2005, 06:12
Looks like they are rushing them out

Cunning psychology to make them look like they were done by a 10yo using security footage from the bank job. Unless of course what appears to be printer smudges on the back are concealed coding or RFID.

Producing one (especially o/s) might get you orange fashionwear for your cuban holiday.

muddergoose
24th May 2005, 13:16
A few (6) were sent off in February and we still haven't heard anything.

calafradulistic
9th Jun 2005, 10:29
Well DOTARS got back to me quick smart

here is what they said:

Thank you for your email.

We are indeed endeavouring to address the exact issues you have
described below.

We are currently in the finalisation stages of updating our website,
which will contain the ASIC application form, and a list of Issuing
Bodies, including an Issuing Body to cater for private pilots such as
yourself.

Please check the website in a couple of weeks, when I'm sure the updated
information, including the form will be posted.

Your current pilots license should cover you for our background checking
purposes, as long as your background checks were undertaken within the
last two years.

Kind regards

Aviation Security Identity Team
Office of Transport Security
Email: [email protected]

So there you have it from the horses mouth. I eagerly await the couple of weeks to see what I can get off their website.

Cheers
Jards

You did well but it seems that they still have no applcaitons up. They emailed my that they are |"negotiating" with "Pilot organisations" to become issuing authorities. Current is that it seems CASA might do it!! All I can say is it looks like the GA fleet will be grounded this Christmas and DOTARS will look like the fools that they are. :{ :mad:

Got my shinny new photo license from CASA in 4 weeks!! :hmm:

pall
11th Jun 2005, 01:56
At our aero club the rumour mill says that if we fly into a regional airport with our new PHTO LICENCE and no other CARDS we will be strandard on the tarmac with our passengers due to insufficient security clearance!

Is this so?

How will it work?

DYNAMIC STALL
11th Jun 2005, 04:22
MATT-YSBK

Are you a member??? Why should they reply if you are not???

Since you advertise YSBK, why didn't you just walk over???

I think you are fibbing, you never wrote a letter now did you, just having a snipe.

However, if you were a member (I am) you would have access to the forum where it tells you that:

AOPA will become an ASIC issuing agency, and
AOPA will not issue ASIC for non-members until all member applications are finalised.

Now, before the howls of protest, as a member I DON"T want to wait for them to issue me mine while they look after non members. So I reckon it is a fair thing.

Barry

Matt-YSBK
11th Jun 2005, 14:32
Dynamic Stall.
No was not having a snipe. I can PM you my original email and the reply i got if you are interested. For the record I did receive a reply from Andrew Kerans on the 2nd of June He was helpful and told me where AOPA were with DOTARS and the ASIC I liked what he had to say and signed up on the Internet that day. They also got some extra dollars out of me for the AOPA crew card and airfield directory. I was negligent in not letting everyone know i got a reply until now.

DYNAMIC STALL
11th Jun 2005, 23:08
Matt

Good on ya for having the balls to set the record straight. There is enough negativity in GA (possibly our biggest downfall).

Think what you like about AOPA, they are voluteers with full time jobs who do what they do for EVERY pilot out of a genuine belief that Aust GA needs help.

Disagree with them by all means, but at least recognise that.

Barry

barney01
15th Jun 2005, 12:22
Just a small point on the $150 fee for an AFP background check -
at the police station (where I work) a national police check costs $27.50.

Needless to say I resent doing the background check at all but then getting ripped $150 really hurts!

kookabat
16th Jun 2005, 01:48
Costs for background checks - not being charged YET.

For the record... eight weeks and counting for my PPL...:{

Pharcarnell
16th Jun 2005, 03:38
Geez mate. Don't hold your breathe. I've been waiting since 1/2 past February and I'm not expecting anything to change soon.
Still, my security checks always seem to take longer due to past questionable associations such as DoD and DSTO.

Sunfish
16th Jun 2005, 05:01
Pharc, probably correct because they would already have a file on you. Mine took a little while, I suspect because I've been vetted four times before. However CASA were very helpful and they issued the student licence and ID in a day once they received the OK from Asio.

kookabat
17th Jun 2005, 03:23
Geez mate. Don't hold your breath

Mate of mine got his last week. Four MONTHS after passing the test... so same boat as you.:(
They reckon my checks have come back and I'm officially not a terrorist, so we'll see what happens, eh?

kookabat
20th Jun 2005, 01:56
For the record - photo licence arrived today. One problem!!! Someone at CASA stuffed up and they only sent me a STUDENT licence rather than the PPL.

They're starting to challenge Centrelink for the title of "Most useless Government body"...:(

UnderneathTheRadar
14th Jul 2005, 04:44
Phoned CASA the other day to see what, if any, progess I could expect.

It was explained to me that Canberra are pretty much ignoring conversions of old style to photo applications unless there was an upgrade of license involved. Fair enough I guess............but.............. they then went onto say that Canberra is processing applications in - wait for it - alphabetical order and they expect to be finished by Christmas. They thought they were up to "about the F's".

There's a commonsense way of processing applications if ever I saw one.

UTR.

PS Anyone had any luck with an ASIC card yet?

turbinejunkie
15th Jul 2005, 09:26
Pharcarnell,

I thought I was doing badly by not having my photo licence though I submitted it in March until I read your post! :}

TJ :ok: