PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Australian

Clipster
21st Mar 2005, 13:08
Just a quick query for the canadian pilots. !!!!

I have done a search on converting an Australian ATPL to a Canadian CPL/ATPL.

My query is whether or not it is possible to avoid the CPL theory test due to having an ATPL in oz. I have checked the government website and it looks unlikely but i thought i'd check with you guys.

The australian CPL theory took me a couple of months to study for . (though i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.)

Any feedback or study timeframes would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

The Clipster:O

Mostly Harmless
21st Mar 2005, 15:39
Sorry but no, you will have to write the test and do the flight-test.

As for your Multi-engine rating.

(c) Credits for Foreign Applicants
The holder of a pilot licence - aeroplane category, issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have satisfied the skill requirements as set forth above, provided that the applicant:
(amended 1999/03/01; previous version)
(i) has acquired a minimum of 50 hours flight time as pilot-in-command in multi-engine aeroplanes during the 12 months preceding the date of application for the rating, or
(ii) has met the prescribed standards, of the State concerned, for issue of a multi-engine class rating during the 12 months preceding the date of application for the rating.
And your Instrument rating.

(4) Foreign Applicants
The experience requirements specified in subparagraph 2(b) may be acquired under the instruction of foreign instructors with qualifications equivalent to those specified in Subpart 5.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part4/Standards/421.htm#421_30
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part4/Standards/421.htm#421_38
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part4/Standards/421.htm#421_46

It would be nice if we could all just trade across. But someone let governments get involved. Don’t worry though, navigation is navigation, engines are engines, airframes are airframes and weather is weather. So, all you really need to worry about is differences in the regulations. Best of luck.

Clipster
22nd Mar 2005, 02:21
Thanks for that MH.

Your post is appreciated.!!!

Maybe "lazy australian" is too harsh. I prefer economical with time but my boss would beg to differ.

:ok:

Mostly Harmless
24th Mar 2005, 15:57
I hope that helped.

I prefer the phrase extremely efficient. It sounds better.

bingomakintosh
31st Mar 2005, 09:18
Clipster,

the Canadian ATPL is a walk in the park compared to the Aussie one. One IFR exam and a flight test, and 2 ATPL exams.

Beats the hell out of the one back home, well at least the old 7 exam torture test.

Good luck Mate

B

CaptW5
31st Mar 2005, 18:11
There used to be four or five exams (besides the IR) to be written. They had to be finished within one year. I ended up re-writing a couple because they were time expired.

Luckily they changed that to just two (too late for me:O )

Clipster
4th Apr 2005, 00:42
CaptW5 and Bingomakintosh.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Lighthouse
22nd Apr 2005, 05:56
Hello

Just wondering is there anything wrong with flying in Australia. Whats the industry like there?

Quebecer
22nd Apr 2005, 21:11
Clipster check your PM's