PDA

View Full Version : World Airways To Operate Cargo Service to Asia and Europe for Air Canada

non sched
9th Mar 2005, 01:33
I wondered what the Air Canada's pilots opinion was of this

PEACHTREE CITY, Ga., March 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- World Airways, a wholly owned subsidiary of World Air Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: WLDA - News) has signed a two-year ACMI wet-lease contract with Air Canada for international cargo service between Toronto, Canada and several cities in Asia, and between Toronto and Europe. Under the agreement, World will operate an MD-11F freighter aircraft for Air Canada beginning in May 2005. The contract has an estimated value of $44 million.
ADVERTISEMENT

"Air Canada is a leader in the airline industry, and we welcome the opportunity to partner with them as they expand their cargo operation," said Rob Binns, World's senior vice president, marketing and planning. " This agreement extends World's presence in the flourishing Asian cargo markets."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050308/cltu070_1.html

KingAir
10th Mar 2005, 12:07
I wonder if the ACE (AllCanada Express) deal is off now.

non sched
10th Mar 2005, 12:34
Aren't they 727 operators? If that's all that's in the fleet I can't see how this would affect CNX. Interesting company identifier by the way! CNX as in cancelled? :ouch:

oldebloke
10th Mar 2005, 17:39
I understand That ACE is 'hung up' with getting their DC10 freighter approved by the feds(first cargo 10)...??
So much for FAA recognition and harmonization' of standards..
I believe that until recently AC were to use Ace,as soon as it was online.. :ok:

cargodawg
14th Mar 2005, 12:34
Why would AC use a 10 to go to Asia?

Wont get the payload needed, and fuel burn is high.

The MD11 is the way to go.

Cyow
14th Mar 2005, 14:49
Non Sched.
To answer your question, the air canada pilot's union has allowed the company to wet lease the cargo contract to outside carriers for a period of three years of which approx one has already gone by - hence the 2 yr. contract with World.
At the end of such term, it is expected that the AC pilots will be able to bid on this flying.

non sched
14th Mar 2005, 17:57
cyow

Thanks. That answers my question.