PDA

View Full Version : Seeking some advice

nicos_m
6th Mar 2005, 21:36
Hi everyone....this is my first time posting on this forum...and I am at a point in my short aviation life where I seek advice from the experienced. I'm a recent University of Western Ontario grad... with an Aviation Management degree. I have a little over 200hrs and currently finishing up my multi-IFR rating. Now that I'm nearing the end of my flight training I have some decisions to make. I was thinking of applying for a ramp position up North for a small charter/taxi operation...however those are hard to come by. I've sent numerous emails but no one ever gets back to me. I've also looked at going overseas to Asia or the Middle East. I've heard stories of low time pilots getting airline jobs there. I've emailed a couple of those airlines and I find they are looking to hire their own pilots. I realize it's going to be a long and tough road ahead...so any advice or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I don't really want to instruct at the moment.

Thanks
Nick

saudipc-9
7th Mar 2005, 02:54
Have you given any thought to the Air Force? We have plenty of slots open if you pass the selection!

nicos_m
7th Mar 2005, 03:39
Hi Saudipc-9

I was considering the Air Force for a while....they came to my univiersity to try to recruit some of us....a buddy of mine signed up because at the time they were in need of pilots...however he told me he's on a waiting list for pilot training. He's been on it for a over a year. Apparently too many pilots applied. That's why I haven't explored that avenue as of yet. I also heard pilots only log about 150hrs a year...not sure how true that number is.

I gather you're in the air force...if so...how do you like it?

Nick

saudipc-9
8th Mar 2005, 20:48
Nick,
Yep I'm back in the CF after spending five years instructing in Saudi. I like being back in the Air Force and it can be a great place to work.
I would apply and see what happens. I know that from what I hear we do not have enough applicants. Either that or we do not have enough qualified applicants.
As far as hours per year that would depend on what airframe you are on. Flying the T-6II I could fly over 400+ hrs a year if I wanted to. However, flying the CF-18 you might only get about 180-220 a year, but think about it... 180 hrs in a CF-18 is better than no hours in a CF-18!!!!
Pay wise we are doing quite well too. I'm making over $90'000 now ( I have been in a while however) Starting you might make something in the order of $40-50,000, but you don't have to pay for your training!
There are a number of new airframes and upgrades coming our way too. True, not along the lines of the USAF, but we will never have a capability like that or the same financial support. Once again better than nothing.
As far as the waiting list is concerned, I would be calling the recruiting center every week to see what is going on! That way they will spend extra effort to get you a slot so you will stop bothering them:p
Anyway PM me if you want some other info or make another post to share the gouge with everyone who might want to join.

Cheers
SPC9