PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR test

nouseforaname
25th Feb 2005, 09:00
I'm hoping to be doing the JAA IR practical test this summer after hopefully successfully completing the ground exams (x7!!)

I've already got an FAA IR and have done quite a lot of airways flying within the UK (in my N reg. plane of course).

Could anyone tell me like what they make you do from starting the engine to stopping it at the end of the test??

thanks. TD

Keygrip
25th Feb 2005, 13:14
Yes, the CAA can.

Go to www.srg.caa.co.uk

Click "Personnel Licensing" near bottom in menu on left.

Click "Flight Crew Licensing" in new menu onleft

Click "Standards Documents" in new menu on left.

Click the title (blue coloured) of Standards Document 1 "Notes for the guidance of applicants taking the initial instrument rating skill test (aeroplanes).

Read it.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Feb 2005, 13:15
I can give you the run down of my test.

Departure

Meet the examier, he briefs you on your routing etc and you obtain the weather etc. You complete your planning for the routing and approaches, assess the performance, weight and balance and Notams.

Passenger brief, taxi, power checks, departure briefing and take off. Departure from the airfield NDB tracking towards the airway intersection.

Airways

Join the airway, and see if you can flying straight and level and track a radial :D. Leave the airway.

Hold and Non Precision Approach

Track inbound to the NDB and enter the hold. I ended up going around the hold twice. Then its into the procedural NDB, two engines for me. Fly the approach down to minimums, then execute the missed approach. EFATO, go through the drills, then you get your engine back.

General Handling

Steep turns, climbing and descending at different rates of descents and speeds. Stalling in all different configurations. Partial panel work, unusual attitudes.

Precision Approach

Back to the home airfield for the single engine radar vectored ILS. Execute a missed approach on one engine.

Assymetric Visual Approach to Land

Plastic clouds come down, fly the circuit assymetric to grease it on the deck.

Enjoy it and good luck.

nouseforaname
25th Feb 2005, 18:14
Thanks,

did they actually make you do a precision approach or does he just take for granted that the fact you can do an NDB approach must mean you can do radar vectors to the ILS??

Thanks,

TD

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Feb 2005, 18:40
nouseforaname,

No, you have to do 1 precision approach and 1 non-precision approach. Obviously the non-precision approach can be an NDB, VOR or localiser only approach, however, you can bet your bottom dollar that you will get the NDB.

With regard to the radar vectored approach, it is possible to get a procedural ILS and a radar vectored NDB, the examier can mix and match, but you will do both of the above, precision and non precision.

spitfire747
26th Feb 2005, 10:26
Agree with CAT3C, although I think the standard is the NON-PRECISION approach must be made with a single needle, so for a plane without a single VOR needle, then it will most certainly be a NDB approach.

Spit

nouseforaname
28th Feb 2005, 06:33
Ok thanks,

do you know if you can get a confuser type book for the IR theory exams or do you just have to learn it?

thanks for all y'eer help.