PDA

View Full Version : FI Job Prospect

jamestkirk
24th Feb 2005, 13:59
This is a really cheeky thread to write, BUT :

I am about to start an FI rating. Well, i say that. I am looking as most of you are, for an airline job.

I have 400tt 214 PIC. F ATPL/IR, aerobatic etc.

Living in Brighton.

If any of you are from schools on the south coast. What do you think the prospects are of work are as an FI?

I don't want to spend out the money and find it's as desperate as finding an F/O position.

I am not looking for names or job offers, but a general opinion if you are at any of these Shoreham, Goodwood schools.

Thanks

JTK

Charliebob2000
27th Feb 2005, 09:22
Hi Jim.

I am pretty much in the same position as you, no positive responses from the airlines, IR renewal getting closer etc etc.

Dilema is FI rating, or Type Rating.

I have several friends who have their FI, and none of them found dificulty in finding a job, most with the school that taught them. Another friend who had to search for a job last year says many of the schools he contacted last year, have contacted him this year.

The word is that many senior instructors have found "real jobs" this year, but don't hang about, most schools will want to have sourced their instructors by mid March, early April.

Most of the guys have said that they have learned a lot from instructing, and are better pilots for it, but after 1000 Hrs, there is little point in flying around in a 152/140, when air taxi and airlines want to see multi night IR, and turbine experiance.

Good luck in your enterprise.

Kinell01
28th Feb 2005, 08:02
Jamestkirk,

I understand your dilemma. I was in pretty much the same position in Dec 03, having held the fATPL for 6 months with no job prospects at all. I was sceptical about the FI route as having graduated from a very well known UK flight academy where only large shiny jets are discussed, I was a little brainwashed. However I bit the bullet and spent the cash on an FI rating and was fortunate to walk into an excellent FI job. Gained over 400 hours in 6 months and enjoyed every minute of it. I firmly believe that the flying experience gained as well as the contacts made during instructing, helped me secure the FO job I've now got.

The important thing is, if you can, secure an FI job at a location where you'll get noticed and not at some tiny airfield in darkest suffolk. I've heard that it has not been unknown for Flt Ops directors of turboprop operators to trawl local flying schools for instructors when they are desperate, and that situation is occuring now. The market is fairly bouyant and FI's that I know are receiving more than one job offer.

Besides, the FI course is a hoot - really enjoyable after the stress of the IR. Good luck!

jamestkirk
11th Mar 2005, 16:14
Thanks for the advice chaps.

I am starting my FI rating at the end of the month.