PDA

View Full Version : Hakwer Down at CZBM (Bromont, Quebec)

BeechNut
23rd Feb 2005, 01:46
A Hawker HS125 of US registry (N21SA) crashed at Bromont yesterday at about 18h00 local (23h00 Z). Wx at the time was blowing snow. Runway lights were U/S according to NOTAM. This was at late dusk. Very limit of what could probably be called "daylight", legally.

The accident was witnessed by the plough operator (the following is related to me by a flying buddy from the local club, so content may be more or less accurate). The aircraft hit the PAPI lights attempting to land 05L; the landing gear collapsed, the plane then did several groundloops, and came to rest (where I saw it today), about 1000 ft from the threshold of 23R, facing 180 or so degrees from its original direction of travel.

According to the mechanic who maintains my Beech, the damage is roughly: collapsed main and nose gears; fuselage buckled in several locations, wings damaged, and a likely hull loss.

Five people (one crew and 4 pax) were very lucky and are only suffering the shock of groundlooping gearless at 100+ knots. The 6th occupant, the pilot, was less lucky and reportedly has serious but non-life threatening injuries.

One assumes the investigation will reveal why an experienced crew landed IFR in a snowstorm at the edge of legal darkness on a runway with U/S lighting (except for the PAPI which apparently was still working). For the record, 05L has LOC/DME, NDB and GPS approaches; lowest MDA is for the LOC/DME at 334 ft AGL. Runway is 5000 x 100 ft ashphalt, lighting is ARCAL type "J". Comm is via AAU (Authorized Approach Unicom). The airport mgr. maintains that in addition to the NOTAM, the unicom operator advised the crew of the rwy light status prior to arrival.

I dropped by the field for a look-see myself on my way home from work today. The plane is still parked in its final resting place. The airport, is as one would expect, crawling with TSB investigators so I didn't dare go airside for a look (couldn't fake going to check out my plane as it's in the hangar for maintenance at the moment).

Mike G.

BeechNut
12th Mar 2005, 01:21
Pics of the aircraft a few days following the accident:

N21SA (http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=8737)

Mike