PDA

View Full Version : B737-500 - Unstable?

BAe 146-100
21st Feb 2005, 21:21
Hey,

On a flight last week a Captain of a B735 told me that he thought the aircraft is unstable compared with other 737s. I was quite suprised to hear this as I have always thought of the 735 as quite a stable aircraft. Any thoughts on this?

Kind Regards
BAe 146

TooLowFlap
21st Feb 2005, 21:51
Well, as far as I know, the 735 tends to run out of elevator during landing at low weights due to the shorter moment arm compared to the longer -300 or -400.

duece19
22nd Feb 2005, 08:18
I hear he has not tried the -800 then

CaptainSandL
22nd Feb 2005, 08:21
It is not more unstable, but it is lighter which makes it feel more responsive.

If you are comparing it to the -300 or particularly the -400 they are more speed stable but that again is due to their higher momentum.

I agree about the elevator on landing at low speeds, but that is really only a factor if you are holding off the touchdown ie trying to squeak it onto a long runway, for a normal flare you should only be increasing the pitch attitude by a couple of degrees.

CV Donator
22nd Feb 2005, 10:22
Have to agree with the 800 being fairly tricky, something akin to balancing on on a beach ball; especially in a cross wind.

CaptainSandL
22nd Feb 2005, 11:28
As a general point I find all the classics much nicer to handle than the NG's - especially in a crosswind. I am told by those that flew them that the -200's were better again. Such is progress.

HonestoGod
24th Feb 2005, 12:31
Surpising.

I have plenty of hours on 200, 300 and 500, cannot speak of the NGs.

Couldnt say I found the 500 unstable, slight adjustment in handling required thats all.

SR71
24th Feb 2005, 12:36
Few days ago our 735 V_ref(30) = 115kts with 20kts xwind.

Speed stability isn't great that close to the stall.

Iakklat
25th Feb 2005, 08:51
SR71, Stall whats that?:zzz:
Give me the Bus any day:ok:
Happy trimming.
Whats that?;)

LOMCEVAK
25th Feb 2005, 09:15
The word "unstable" on its own is ambiguous. To be meaningful it is necessary to say which stability mode is unstable and/or to describe what your control inputs and the aircraft's response are. Beware of just using "unstable" as a word when you find something more difficult or unpleasant.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Feb 2005, 09:32
Roger "Dodge" Bailey gave a talk a year or so ago in Oxford where he recounted how low the lateral and directional stability of the Sea Hurricane where in his opinion. He then described an argument with a former wartime Hurricane pilot who maintained that the aircraft was an incredibly stable gun platform and Roger didn't know what he was talking about.

Dodge's conclusion was of-course that neutral static stability in certain axes (particularly lateral and directional) can imply less gust response - particularly to lateral gusts. And therefore what is technically a less stable aeroplane, can appear more stable to the operator.

All down to terminology and how you use it really, as Lomcevak says, the term "stability" on it's own is incredibly amibuous and can mean any of about a dozen things.

Similarly, I once made myself unpopular by declining to allow somebody to do a mod to an aircraft with high directional static stability, that was intended to increase that stability. My argument was that it was likely to make the aircraft directionally uncontrollable in side-gusts. Well, since when he ignored me and did it anyway, he went off the side of the runway and wrecked the aircraft, I was probably right. But, his perception was that the aircraft was directionally unstable, because of lateral excursions when flying in turbulence - the reverse was actually true, he had too much directional stability. Some people (especially light aircraft owners I think sometimes) just won't listen, and as a result an aircraft was written off, although thankfully nobody hurt.

G

Cough
25th Feb 2005, 15:30
Gotta say that I find no such probs with the -500. The biggest pain when light is the engine response...Using so little thrust anyhow that when a little speed creeps on it takes some working to get back to Vref 5. Flap 40 is all I can suggest... (and then the Vref can fall below 110kt!)

Capt Pit Bull
26th Feb 2005, 07:45
Non rigourous observations from a non test pilot with a couple of years on 3/4/5s: I would say that:

- during automatic flight.
- the b737-500.
- is not optimally damped in pitch.

i.e. it takes a lot more than one oscillation to damp out pitch disturbances. This seems most apparent during climb and descent with pitch mode controlling speed. Long time period oscillations of +/- 10 kts seem to be typical. However I have also seen +/- 700 fpm in Alt Hold or VNAV PATH during level flight.

I am told that the aircraft uses the same control law as the -400, though I stress I have no idea if that is true or not.

On a similar vein, having the ap and fd disagreeing in pitch for quite long periods during climb and descent seems to be a 'feature of the model'.

CPB

despegue
1st Mar 2005, 13:24
Our new company SOP's state that minimum Vref. for Flaps30 is 124kts.
We currently only fly the -500's, but the NG's are coming really soon!:ok:

Oscillations do happen in level cruise with autopilot engaged. I take them out when the needle hits the 500'/min. mark. Also, the autothrottle is sometimes lagging quite seriously...
Is this also the case with the NG?