PDA

View Full Version : Instructing in SA

d_devilliers
15th Feb 2005, 12:41
Hi

I recently moved back to SA and am thinking of doing an instructor rating down here since there seems to be very little work for charter pilots with low hours. Can anyone recommend some good flying schools in SA to do an instructors, and especially the ones which hire their graduates!!! Obviously I wouldn't have done all my training at that particular school except for the license conversion and the rating itself. Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Cheers

porridge
15th Feb 2005, 16:46
Good idea to instruct in SA, however one minor problem - getting a work permit.
Next problem is that due to affirmative action selection for SA based airlines those persons who are oversubscribed in their population group find getting an airline job fairly difficult, thus these people take up instructing to get themselves ahead and then when they have the necessary experience end up working for contractors to the UN etc. in 'interesting' areas of Africa shunned by the more advantaged sections of the community in the new process.
Unless you can get the work permit (unlikely unless you have some SA connection), it is probably not going to be a worthwhile option.

d_devilliers
16th Feb 2005, 07:08
Hey Porridge

Thanks for the reply. I actually have SA citizenship so that's not a problem. Just wondering if there is actually any work floating around for instructors in SA

Cheers

cavortingcheetah
19th Feb 2005, 13:36
:O

de villiers.

It might be a tad far if that is where you are fom but, many us started life off at Avex Air, FAGM, now at FAGC. The man to whom to talk, if he is still there, is CC. ex SAA skipper of great talent and about as straight as they come. I think he retired from 747 about a year or so ago. He has much 727 time.
Regards and good luck,
Watch out for the hot and high Tomohawk.