PDA

View Full Version : Annex 14

mutt
12th Feb 2005, 02:35
Having a discussion regarding the requirements of ICAO Annex 14 regarding aerodromes, particularly in relation to buildings beside a runway. My limited understanding of the annex shows three zones, transition, followed by 2nd zone to a radius of 4000 m and height of 45m, followed by 3rd zone with a 5% gradient to 100m, this works out to be another 1100 m.

My understanding of this regulation is a building height restriction of 100m up to 5100 m to the side of a runway!

However, numerous airport terminals seem to be within this restricted area.

Anyone care to comment?

Mutt.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
12th Feb 2005, 15:15
Surely there aren't that many terminal buildings which are even 45m high? If you said a typical terminal was about the same height as a large airliner fin (which seems the right order of magnitude for the airports I've passed through) then that's maybe 20m or so, which would allow a building about 2000m from the runway. Hangars and such would seem to be about the same heights.

TheOddOne
12th Feb 2005, 16:20
Next time you're down at LGW, look at all the buildings above the South Terminal, Concorde House etc. There'll all built just under the transitional slopes and if you're far enough back (say about the Fire Station) you can draw a nice imaginary line which conforms to the transition. The South Roof Office block is 9 floors -if you look at the EGKK Aerodrome Chart in the UK AIP there's an obstruction light on it quoted as being 120' or about 37 metres above the ARP. Unfortunately the pictures I have illustrating the ST aren't in a format that can be shown on pprune - be much easier if we could insert jpegs!

The hangars on the South Side are also just scraping the underside of the surfaces, such that if they put scaffolding up for repairs it sticks up into the side slope and has to be NOTAM'd as an obstruction.

There's a great illustration of all the surfaces in CAP 168 Chaper 4 page 10 fig 4.11

CAP 168 conforms quite closely with Annex 14, it's just a bit jumbled up and difficult to reference sometimes. The CAA have had several goes at re-writing it but in my opinion it needs a fresh mind to come in and start with a blank piece of paper rather than just updating what's there. No, I don't want the job!!!

Cheers,
The Odd One

Bumz_Rush
12th Feb 2005, 16:36
I guess the bridge at LGW doesn't count.....
Use to maks short visuals at LGW, in PA31, inside the terminal building....ATC suggested we shoud stop as it frightend the waitng pax.......those were the days.... Bumz

TheOddOne
12th Feb 2005, 17:04
Wouldn't have been GIFTA by any chance?

TOO

mutt
12th Feb 2005, 17:06
Bumz_Rush...

It was a slow weekend................. :):)

TheOddOne,

Thanks for the reference to CAP168, just downloading it.
Also are you saying that if for the sake of discussion, we built a tower 2 kms to the side of a runway that intruded into the clearance zone, we could have it classed as a lighted obstruction?

Cheers.

Mutt.