PDA

View Full Version : 787 Fbw ?

CONF iture
10th Feb 2005, 22:22
Do you know if Boeing will use the 777 flight control technology ?
Will they opt for a joystick ?
Thanks

GRIFFIN2000
10th Feb 2005, 22:36
I seriously doubt that Boeing will opt for the side stick as it is an Airbus "thing". Its a lot of prestige going on in the business and to mount a side stick in a Boeing cockpit would be a too big loss of prestige. By doing it Boeing would admit an Airbus design is better.... Maybe a center stick like the Globemaster? ;)

NWSRG
10th Feb 2005, 22:40
Boeing have already announced that the flight deck controls will be provided by the same suppliers that provide the 777 equipment. I think in the same release they explicitly said it would be a yoke.

cwd
11th Feb 2005, 10:52
I attended a presentation a couple of weeks ago given by the 787 (then 7E7) Project Pilot. The flightdeck will definitely have yokes and the control laws will be based on the 777. In fact the flightdeck will be similar (but not indentical) to the 777, such that Boeing expect to be able to offer a CCQ on the 777 and 787.

Phoenix_X
12th Feb 2005, 19:55
What a missed chance :D

*ducks*

Sorry, I had to say it.

Of course, if they can archieve CCQ it's definitely worth it financially, if they can't, it really *is* a missed chance.

Mud Skipper
12th Feb 2005, 22:56
Phoenix_X,

What's a missed chance?
I'll be happy to go back to a yoke some day, sidestick just doesn't do it for me, particularly in bad turbulance.

I will miss the table all the same.

Oh maybe that was what you were talking about.:hmm:

R8TED THRUST
13th Feb 2005, 00:25
I have heard that the B-787 will keep the youke as whell. I really hope they do as the side stick is an Airbus trademark! And I must agree that in bad Turb I'll take the yoke any day.

Cheers,

stilton
13th Feb 2005, 01:38
Why not have the best of both philosophies?

Use a sidestick but with Boeing control laws from the 777, including fully backdriven sticks and autothrottles with soft limits.

Don't think you could improve on that!

LowObservable
14th Feb 2005, 16:01
CWD

How do they intend to do CCQ when the systems are so different - electrically driven hydraulic pumps, electric powered ECS & so on?

XPMorten
14th Feb 2005, 16:16
..and Electrical brakes (http://ir.goodrich.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=60759&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=652950&highlight=)

Morten

Phoenix_X
15th Feb 2005, 14:55
Well, I'd rather remain with the stick, however, to have it fully backdriven may help against some of the problems encountered in turbulence. Would love to try that, if it works we could stick with the table! :D

Charles Darwin
16th Feb 2005, 12:54
Why canīt Boeing just have a stick? Side or middle. Throughout aviation all ( at least most) aerobatic and fighter planes have had sticks. I canīt see any reason for the wheel. The stick provides more precision and is, when gotten used to, much more convenient in all ways. Most early planes had stick, and I think the progress into wheel on today's aircraft is an evolution in the wrong direction.

Iīll stick to that :D

WindSheer
17th Feb 2005, 12:40
Given that the 787 will be streets ahead on current technology, how much flying is going to be done??

Go with the stick and keep it out of the way - Table all the way!!