PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Air floatplane training?

Curvature
7th Feb 2005, 00:57
Hi everyone,

I am seeking information on Ocean Air Floatplane Training in Victoria, BC.
Has anybody trained with these guys or know somebody who has? I am interested in doing there 50 hour course as I have always wanted to fly floats.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Safe Flying

Curvature;)

VRThomas
7th Feb 2005, 01:02
I recommend that where ever you go make sure that your instructor has some "real" float time under his belt with a commercial operator. (And, 300 hours is not enough.)

VRT

Good luck and have fun.:ok:

yyzdub
7th Feb 2005, 17:09
Also - try and get some real flying done, rather than just take off and landings... when I did my float rating I was fortunate enough to have an instructor that did a lot of small lake landings, doglegged lakes = one float take off, low level flying and spotting, etc. I know a lot of people who have done their rating basically spent the 7hrs taking off and landing on the same spot of the lake.

Curvature
8th Feb 2005, 12:19
Thanks for the replies guys I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Chuck Ellsworth
9th Feb 2005, 01:04
Curvature :

I seldom comment on any given business on these forums, especially those connected with flight training.

However in this case I will make an exception, finding a good company to get float training is tricky because a lot of them are flying schools and a lot of the instructors are very limited in their experience on float planes.

I have personally had a good look at Ocean Air and have met the owner and was impressed enough that I will recommend them for several reasons, the most important being you will be taught by west coast seaplane pilots who have spent years flying in this envonment and do know what they are doing.

So contact David Budd and tell him Chuck sent you.

Chuck Ellsworth