PDA

View Full Version : Transition alt / level in the USA

V/S
30th Jan 2005, 11:37
Hi everyone,
I`ve been looking trought the FARs but can`t find it. When your flying an altitude or level and you`re cleared by ATC to climb to a level or altitude and transition is still far away ie 5000ft, like if climbing 14000 and cleared to FL210, can you reset at once your altimeter or you have to wait for transion altitude / level

Cheers

fesmokie
30th Jan 2005, 11:48
Transition level is 180 ft in the USA. Cheers

Charles Darwin
30th Jan 2005, 12:18
When in Eur airspace, once cleared up, you can reset to std even though well below. In USA you have to wait until passing 18k and only set to standard there. This has been practised at my airline, if anybody knows different, please let us know.

Fesmokie, I think itīs a bit higher than 180 feet:E

fesmokie
30th Jan 2005, 12:40
V/S..... We express alt as follows...350,330.280,180 etc. So I will stick to 180 as previously briefed.:ok:

The Greaser
30th Jan 2005, 13:06
It can be Flight Level 180 but not altitude 180. In the US, 18000 is the transition altitude ie. this is the highest altitude clearance that will be issued. Anything above this will be referred to as flight levels. My company SOP (here in Europe) is to set 1013 or QNH as soon as cleared to flight level/altitude regardless of proximity to the transition level. We will leave the standby (third) altimeter on QNH if below MSA. This can then be referred to if necessary for terrain proximity reasons, flap retraction altitudes etc. if required.

Willit Run
31st Jan 2005, 04:05
Our airline, wether in the US or elsewhere, changes the altimeter at the transition alt./lvl regardless. its safe to do so that way, in case you get a premature leveloff. This has been discussed many times, Do what your airline policy is, and stick to it, habit is good in this field!

oldebloke
31st Jan 2005, 23:00
In Canada all changes in the 'Standard pressure region'above 180....CAR602.37
in climb set to standard'immediately'on entering Stnd press region
in descent.set to altimeter setting'immediately'prior to entering alt setting region
cheers:ok:

Tinstaafl
1st Feb 2005, 14:57
The US AIM specifies to use a local pressure (one within 100nm) when below the transition altitude and to use standard pressure when above the transition level. It makes no statement that I can see about changing early as a result of receiving a clearance.

I read that as meaning that you must be on QNH anytime you're below the transition, and standard pressure anytime you're above it.