PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Boeing Patent

speedbird_heavy
28th Jan 2005, 17:48
Just stumbled across this on the Boeing website. Could this be their vision of the regional jet market?

Click here (http://www.boeingtechnology.com/patents/pdf/US6834833.pdf)

Jetavia
28th Jan 2005, 18:58
What you see is the patent for Boeings 2+3+2 cabin layout ..

This patent is most likely for the aircraft that will some day replace the 737NG and be build on the experience gathered from the 7E7 programme.

The patent will prevent Airbus from following Boeing and develop a twin isle 2+3+2 seat 737/A320 category aircraft :D

BEagle
28th Jan 2005, 19:18
So it's a sort of '13 inches narrower than the A310' design, is it?

Pretty revolutionary, huh?

Could do better if tried.

RatherBeFlying
28th Jan 2005, 19:33
The name of the game is:

max bums/cabin area

Minimising aisle area/bum is one means to accomplish this.

I am preparing a patent that will place each bum with cabin baggage in a module with prepackaged meals, drinks and snacks that will then be automatically stacked into the cabin.

As each module is stacked, it will autoconnect to air and data services.

Multi-unit modules will be available for couples, families etc.

TSA will be much excited by the prospect of sealing the occupants into a module where they can do no mischief. The only security check needed will be for explosives which can be automatically detected by sampling the air from the module and diverting suspicious modules to the authorities.

That's after I figure out how to manage visits to the toilet:}

Desert Dingo
28th Jan 2005, 19:38
I'm surprised that they didn't patent having pilot seats on the flight deck too. That would fix the competion!
They will want to patent having wings on aircraft next. :yuk:

surely not
28th Jan 2005, 20:23
So if you can patent something like this, can I patent the 2 x table please :D

What a pathetic effort to hamper a competitor who is riding roughshod over you!!

Why not patent the idea of carrying passengers, that would be a real disadvantage for all competitors!!

Jetavia
28th Jan 2005, 20:35
Any interesting patents held by airbus??

The patents are there for a reason, not to have anyone rib of your ideas, designs etc. However some patents are just to craizy like doctors wanting to patent the human DNA for instance..

BahrainLad
28th Jan 2005, 21:27
I believe Airbus hold the patents for this. (http://www.airpictorial.com/media/concordeChronology13.jpg)

Much more exciting.

broadreach
28th Jan 2005, 21:50
RbF,
If you can devise a good autofeed system, no doubt in my mind you can do an equally effective autovac (autoevacuate?). Just remember to build in the autoairfreshener. ;-)
broadreach

RatherBeFlying
28th Jan 2005, 23:42
BR

I expect Martin-Baker will be interested in supplying a rocket and parachute for the modules.

Adding an escape system to a buoyant module will remove the bother with slides and rafts.

Australia2
29th Jan 2005, 01:00
Dingo,

I think the real interest in this area is from the airline managers who would like to patent a cockpit with no pilots seats. With no pilots, more accountants could be employed, and the airline surely more profitable !!

Oz2

:ok:

swh
29th Jan 2005, 02:58
Looks like a 328Jet...

With the exception...they say ...

"A single isle configuration used in these current aeroplanes in these smaller classes minimizes drag, weight, fuel burn, and economic penalties"

So they put forward a twin isle jet, which is uneconomical on the basis it will have pax appeal?

For 90 seats, they would be operating on thin routes..economics would be they key.

:hmm:

ChrisVJ
29th Jan 2005, 06:02
Maybe there are other reasons they are pursuing this just now.

It is easier and cheaper to make Al frames circular, however now we are into Resin and fibre the frames will be made in molds, will cost about the same for either shape.

Building in fibre, internal bulkheads can be molded into the frames to support the pressure inside across the flat area (while a circular fuselage does it naturally.)

Could be used to improve ground clearance or stance ( like flattened engine cowlings?)

May have areodynamic ramifications too, particularly in nose high attitudes?

Evo
29th Jan 2005, 08:01
The patent will prevent Airbus from following Boeing and develop a twin isle 2+3+2 seat 737/A320 category aircraft

One of the requirements under US Patent law is that the inventive step is not obvious. Now, unless there are some weasel words in the depths of the patent (I only read the abstract and summary, and skimmed the rest), the idea of making the cabin a bit wider to allow 2+3+2 rather than 3+3 seems hard to defend as a non-obvious solution to a problem.

Load Toad
29th Jan 2005, 08:40
Should have no aisles - forcing the passengers to crawl over the seats. And reduce leg room further...cut off the legs below the knee. And make the cabin lower.....

speedbird_heavy
29th Jan 2005, 09:41
Should have no aisles - forcing the passengers to crawl over the seats. And reduce leg room further...cut off the legs below the knee. And make the cabin lower.....

Isn't that standard practice with the charter airlines?

Thunderball 2
29th Jan 2005, 11:35
"One of the requirements under US Patent law is that the inventive step is not obvious". (Evo).

Obviously another requirement is that it should be in the national interest.

I bet a pound to a cent that if I'd pitched up with a patent application supported by those fag-packet drawings they would have arrested me, removed my shoes and trouser belt, and called Homeland Security.

Charles Darwin
29th Jan 2005, 11:39
I heard that Boeing is patenting the pigstrap seatbelt. Then the Europians will be out of the US marked for good.:p

Farrell
29th Jan 2005, 14:08
I think Lego brought out a model like this one when I was a kid!

RUDAS
29th Jan 2005, 14:32
that is interesting indeed that they patented it!

Earl
29th Jan 2005, 15:07
Looks like the ambulance chasing lawyers came up with this one.
This industry use to be fun, now its a dog eat dog world.

Zoom
29th Jan 2005, 15:53
I shall soon be patenting the one row/no aisle concept. This will allow for shorter (albeit wider) aircraft, more legroom, easier access to passengers for the cabin staff and only one window on each side. I shall leave someone else to sort out the aerodynamics, but an exceedingly high aspect ratio flying wing might be a good starting point.

cwatters
29th Jan 2005, 19:35
How on earth did they get that patent through? The main claim seems to be the use of 2 isles on a "small" plane. That has to be an obvious extension of existing art.

Torquelink
31st Jan 2005, 15:17
In the very early days of the A320, I seem to remember Airbus showing a twin-aisle config for business. I think there was a single seat in the middle with an aisle either side so you could have both elbows smashed by the carts instead of just one. Doesn't appear to have caught on - funnily enough.:p

forget
31st Jan 2005, 15:29
cwatters. 'How on Earth did they get the Patent through……?

I'm baffled too. I've had several US Patents issued and if Airbus challenged this one, on the basis of 'obvious, no real inventive steps', I'm sure they could blow it out of the water in days.

Awful lot of paperwork there for a squashed 'toob'.