PDA

View Full Version : ............Doing Hard Time...............

Super Cecil
17th Jan 2005, 08:56
In Airline speak what is "chicken leg time" we all know in instructor circles chicken leg time is when you get to eat the stale produce from your job at Kentucy Fried, (the job you have to survive while your working for nothing).

Does the second officer log time even though he might not even get in the right seat? How much time does the first officer log? would they log ICUS if the Capitain goes to the loo? is it just a logfest even if George is doing most of the flying does everybody get to write time down?

SsaKcaj
17th Jan 2005, 13:23
Cecil,

I think you need to go out and log a fair bit more time before you need to worry about that, and try to break out of the circuit one day.

(If) by the time you are on one of those bad boys, logging of flight time won't be you biggest concern, so stop worrying about other people. It is not a race.

Super Cecil
17th Jan 2005, 21:34
I'm quite happy with the time I'm logging SsaKcaj, I heard the term "Chicken leg" time recently in an Airline context and I was wondering what it is.

To what race do you refer? In 10 years flying on international stuff a FO could have logged 6,000 hours and only actually had his hands on the yoke (as opposed to the stick like you) for a couple of hundred hours, it sort of seems like logging time sitting in the back seat of a 182. The tone of your reply would suggest you log a bit of "back seat" time?

tinpis
18th Jan 2005, 03:47
Cec why the fuss about "hand" flying?
Big hairyplanes dont need much hands we done that ter death.
BTW where you pick up the term "George"? The RSL?

Hugh Jarse
18th Jan 2005, 05:25
BTW where you pick up the term "George"? The RSL?

Give him a break, Tinpis. We all know the correct name is "Otto". (as in autopilot in Flying High):}

Super Cecil, the only thing I've ever heard of related to chickens in aviation is "chicken lever", a common term applicable to Garrett-engined aircraft.

Though Mrs. Jarse's cousin is affectionately known as "Chooklegs":E

tinpis
18th Jan 2005, 06:17
Hmmmm...then there is chicken in the basket

:E

Super Cecil
18th Jan 2005, 07:29
Just interested boy's, Hugh and Tinitus you blokes fly airlines? maybe I need to post on a forum where somebody would know.

DirectAnywhere
18th Jan 2005, 08:26
After consultation with CASA:confused:

Captain's sector - F/O and however many S/Os there may be all log the entire flight, chock to chock, whether they were in the bunk or not, as co-pilot time.

F/Os sector - Capt obviously still logs Command, F/O ICUS and S/Os (if carried) co-pilot.

S/Os are limited to logging co-pilot by the nature of their instrument rating and endorsement.

As for instrument time, provided the total time logged is less than the total time spent in IMC, I think everyone can get away with logging a bit. The CAOs allow for logging inflight I/f while manipulating the flight path of the aeroplane through the autopilot btw.

SsaKcaj
18th Jan 2005, 12:14
Cec,

I am not an SO or FO, so no back time seat is ever logged.

My reference to the 'race' is that you seem to be so worried that others are logging time when they are not in the seat. You seem to be in a race to log your hours and think it is unfair that others are logging more flight time in the bunk than you are in total.

So are you worried that co-pilots are logging time when it is their sector as PNF; they never (usually) touch the controls/autopilot either.

Atlas Shrugged
18th Jan 2005, 22:24
BTW where you pick up the term "George"? The RSL? Armidale, I suspect.......:suspect:

A

*Lancer*
19th Jan 2005, 01:20
I log just over 900 hours a year as co-pilot and don't fly at all!

It's world's best practice ;)

As DirectAnywhere has said, everyone logs the entire flight. Cpt logs Command, FO logs co-pilot or ICUS, and SO logs co-pilot time. Generally the sector PF logs some IF time as well, although it's really a bit arbitary.

Lancer

neville_nobody
19th Jan 2005, 06:33
Do all the FO's who log ICUS have a command endorsement on the aircraft type??

Super Cecil
19th Jan 2005, 08:11
As I said boys, I'm happy with my hours logged and are doing enough flying to keep me happy. SsaKcaj, you boys can log all you like, if you feel like logging the car time to the airport go right ahead.

So I take it nobody knows what the term "chickenleg time" is?

I should add that I\'m up to 107.6 hours now and .2 of that\'s solo time. As soon as I can get an instructor to go with me again I\'ll be clocking up the hours to compete.

Kaptin M
19th Jan 2005, 09:17
Nah Cec, never heard of it, mate.
Chicken****, cock 'n bull, lame duck...but not chickenleg.

But chicken legs are nice from KFC with a smothering of gravy, and strips of bacon on the odd occasion, esp. for instructors doing it for lurve!!

Be careful out there, Cec!!

SsaKcaj
19th Jan 2005, 14:29
Cec,

Mate, I don't need to log anything from the car, my 6-700hrs per year [All] from the Left seat keep me busy enough.

BTW, you will need to work on that command time chump. Shouldn't you have been solo a few more times than once with 107hrs TT!!!, quick look back at my log book said i had about 40hrs command then.

As soon as I can get an instructor to go with me again I\'ll be clocking up the hours to compete.

It is command hours you'll be needing to "compete", NOT Dual. :oh: :sad:

one ball
19th Jan 2005, 18:04
Ya barking up the wrong tree there, Kap... ;)

Or am I imagining things......

Anyway the chicken-leg time you are referring to, Cecil, is the number of years (not hours) you go in your career where the only three words you ever hear the hosties mutter to you is:

"Chicken or Beef???"

Super Cecil
19th Jan 2005, 20:33
Thanks one ball or should that be Mr Stag?, I watched an interview lately with a pilot from an international airline and he mentioned the term. His talk was about the joys of flying, after something like 25 years in the game he still enjoyed flying both big stuff and building and flying lighter machines. It's good to see somebody still enthused in aviation after that amount of time.

tinpis
19th Jan 2005, 21:17
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/eat.gif

Super Cecil
19th Jan 2005, 22:51
Tinpiss said
"Cec why the fuss about "hand" flying?
Big hairyplanes dont need much hands we done that ter death.
BTW where you pick up the term "George"? The RSL?"

Tinitus, the George to which I refer is Captain George Stephens, still on international routes I believe. You with all your expirence in all matters Airline you would no doubt know him?:}

SsaKcaj
20th Jan 2005, 00:21
Oh Dear Cecil,

I think you wil find tinpis is correct.

to prove it:

When autopilots first became available, there happened to be a saying, "Let George do it", which was part of a wartime poster that said, basically, that you couldn't do that- you had to do it yourself, or no one would do it. The "Let George do it" attitude was something to be stamped out during the WWII war years, you see...The autopilot was the only "George", or "the other guy", that you could legitimately delegate to. Thus, using the autopilot became "letting George do it".

Isn't it a shame, you think you know so much.

But you don't:\ :oh: :sad: :bored: :ugh: :{

Super Cecil
20th Jan 2005, 02:22
SsaKcaj,
I bow to your superior Knowledge. I do not profess to know these thing's, that's why I ask the questions. As as student pilot, it's hard to know which bull**** to believe, with you as the resident expert (or exspurt as the case maybe) your version must be right so thank you for your prompt and courteous answers.

tinpis
20th Jan 2005, 02:35
Be nice Cecil

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/Crap3.gif

grrowler
20th Jan 2005, 04:46
And then there comes the point when you have more than enough "stick time" and perhaps its time to ease up on it a little.

Time for a few of you boys to retire I think :rolleyes:

Swear Engine Twenty3
20th Jan 2005, 05:56
Hey Jarse,

I have the pleasure of sitting between 2 Garetts at work, what's the chicken thingy you refer to?

I've heard the speed brake in jets referred to as
"the chicken stick"

Ta Jarse,

sprocket
20th Jan 2005, 07:51
Chicken Stick
A stick used to "flip start" a model airplane engine and hence save your fingers from getting caught in the propeller when the engine starts or backfires.

I see a lot of pilots jump out and and frantically try to handstart metros again, after the engines stop (must have a lot of trouble with the idle settings and batteries).
Maybe all the sticks are broken and wont be replaced?

SsaKcaj
20th Jan 2005, 09:58
Cecil, Cecil, Cecil,

I do not believe this was a question and you did profess to know this thing (from YOUR post):

Tinitus, the George to which I refer is Captain George Stephens, still on international routes I believe. You with all your expirence in all matters Airline you would no doubt know him?

Super Cecil
20th Jan 2005, 10:23
You are serious right? I think you've been sniffing too much ink when your filling out all those hours in the log book, that's unless you really do know a Captain Stephans? Wasn't your bull**** meter on full deflection?

I also said a lot of other things they make about as much sense as that statement, 107.6 hours and .2 solo? if it's a race like you say then your way ahead so far.:8

one ball
20th Jan 2005, 14:31
Get into 'im Cecil.... you've got 'im strugglin now he realises he's been played like a friggin' cello.

All this wisdom from someone who can't even spell his own name!!! Dylsexia?

By the way, I always hand-fly up to 10 grand or so. I like to keep my hand on it as you can tell.

Keep up the good work, Cecil. I like your style. I'm gonna retire soon (from pprune) and you can take over if you like. Course you'll have to become my apprentice for a while.....

Super Cecil
20th Jan 2005, 21:56
Don't leave me here alone :( How long does the apprentiship run, the usual 30 years like in GA? is there an academic minimun? to whom do I send my application? is there a maximum age for inclusion into the ranks? to whom do I send the required dollars for the endorsment and does it cost extra to be able to post on the international side?

Hugh Jarse
20th Jan 2005, 22:48
Gidday SW23,I have the pleasure of sitting between 2 Garetts at work, what's the chicken thingy you refer to?
Back in my dark Jetstream days, the "Chicken Lever" referred to the lever that you turned and pulled to shutoff fuel and feather the prop. It was so long ago I can't remember its correct name.

What I can remember is the capt used to hang onto it tightly during engine starts incase he decided to "chicken out" of the start.:E

A "chicken stick", OTOH is a flat stick about the size of a doctor's tongue depresser, but about 4mm thick and made of nylon. We used them in the glass industry for anything from a scraper to installing windscreens. Fantastic bit of gear.

Sort of like the Queensland socket wrench (shifting spanner) or the Queensland screwdriver (2lb hammer) :}

* Ducks and runs *

SsaKcaj
20th Jan 2005, 23:41
Cecil,

I think you will find that I am in no race. It was you who started this thread so worried that people were logging time from the bunk.

To Cecil and One Nut, my user name is directed at people like you. Take a look at it backwards. No dyslexia, it is what I am thinking of you all the time.

Brayton Cycle
22nd Jan 2005, 12:28
Ssakcaj.....fantastic:ok:

poteroo
23rd Jan 2005, 05:32
Super Cecil,

As you appear to be a diligent and responsible pilot, can I suggest that you investigate the scandalous practices known to occur in GA training wherein the logged or recorded time is far greater than the actual stick time,or air time if you describe it that way.

Consider these numbers from this BFR in which I was the victim. Location: JT
Runway: 12
Time: about 2PM
Total VDO/Hobbs time was 45 mins
total circuits: 3 - 2 crash and flee, and 1 full stop, (aka - high speed runway exit).

Now, what does the honest pilot do here?

Note the wheels off to wheels on time - and only log that? (you might call this airswitch time, or your GPS might log it in a similar way according to passing 20-30 KIAS)

or,

log the 45 minutes? (Guess what you pay for?)

Perhaps before GA drivers start pointing fingers at practices in a far different sector, we should have a look at just how much air time we actually do ourselves.

happy days,

Super Cecil
23rd Jan 2005, 22:26
Why don't you boofheads settle down, I was asking about hours logged and a term I heard when watching an interview with an airline pilot. There was no malice meant, it seemed strange to me that somebody could have 5000 hours in their logbook but actually only "Flown" maybe 2000?

Jackass why don't you go and read one ball's comment, you on delayed reaction or drugs?

RV6 bloke you can log what you want, you pay for 45 minutes log it, I normally log airswitch.

tinpis
24th Jan 2005, 01:50
it seemed strange to me that somebody could have 5000 hours in their logbook but actually only "Flown" maybe 2000?

Jaysus.

Cec maaate whats hard to understand?
The AC is under the command of some neddy for its airborne and ground operating time.All crew on board log that time even if theyre in the crew rest milking the goanna.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/nothingfunnytoadd.gif

poteroo
24th Jan 2005, 05:30
A fool may ask more questions in one hour than a wise man can answer in seven years

Proverbs, 36

Super Cecil
24th Jan 2005, 08:29
RV6 bloke, your quote

"A fool may ask more questions in one hour than a wise man can answer in seven years"

Why did you ask 4 questions in your post previous to your last?

real life, 05

:8

poteroo
25th Jan 2005, 11:18
Cecil,

My good man,

I'm waiting the 7 hours, but in your case, it probably requires 7 days.

Son, just look for another topic.

Your approach is tiresome in the extreme.

happy days,

White Wagon
27th Jan 2005, 07:23
i thought the "george" term was due to the earliest form of autopilot having the nickname george? might be wrong but pretty sure.

btw im looking forward to flying multi crew, looks like the aviation politics never end...