PDA

View Full Version : A320 reference triangles

LanFranc
16th Jan 2005, 06:27
After more than eight years on the 'Bus I find I have forgotten so much that I had learned from the first generation of drivers that had really gotten into the "nuts and bolts" of the airplane. Now, I'm not sure if I recall this correctly or not but if anyone has a reference on the following I would appreciate it being forwarded to me.

On each side of the aircraft fuselage, from just below the aft cockpit window to just forward of the rear door,there are 5 (maybe 6) evenly spaced, 2 cm/side metal triangles. They have a very small hole in the centre. While it is commonly accepted that they are reference markers, I recall being told (and shown) that they had another function. I've been through old paper FCOMS and the latest computer FCOMS but cannot find any reference to them at all.

Anyone else ever been told, or shown, anything about them?

Regards,
DLF

SeldomFixit
16th Jan 2005, 12:13
A guess that should be close enough for government work is that they are rigging and jigging reference points. They could be used for ensuring " trueness " during build and " lack of trueness " after a bender by use of a theodolite thingamajiggy or the 21st century equivalent.

togaroo
17th Jan 2005, 09:37
Whe the aircraft is on jacks it needs to be 'jigged' straight and level so that the aircraft isnt twisted or bent, especially vital if rigging control cables and the like, a banana on the ground could be twice the banana in the air!