PDA

View Full Version : ATIS, Might be simple but I can't find answer!!!

Island_Flyer
12th Jan 2005, 11:27
Does anyone know if wind direction given on atis is magnetic or true, and also if anyone knows where I may find a reference to it in the Jepp text or any where else

Thanx for your help!

P-T-Gamekeeper
12th Jan 2005, 11:30
Mag, true on a TAF

kuobin
12th Jan 2005, 11:36
You can check up on ATC part of jeppesen manual for individual contray part.

Island_Flyer
12th Jan 2005, 11:43
Thanx very much to you two!

Capt Claret
12th Jan 2005, 12:34
Island_Flyer

Using JeppView3, and the Australian Airway Manual the page reference is Meteorology AU-31

The relevant section is 1 METEOROLOGICAL REPORTS then, 1.1.3 Take-off and Landing Reports.

And as stated above, the wind is in degrees magnetic.

LeftBreak
12th Jan 2005, 14:01
No references close by but a general rule is;
- if it’s heard (e.g. ATIS or ATC take-off/landing clearance) it’s magnetic,
- if it’s read it is true (e.g. METAR, TAF).

As always there are exceptions. e.g METAR received over the radio.

GlueBall
12th Jan 2005, 15:51
When it's heard or said in cruise...it's always reported in True. :ooh:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jan 2005, 16:14
I don't know how the "auto" ATIS works but way back when Pontius.. etc, etc.. when I recorded an ATIS I used to read it straight off the anemometer, which I assume was magnetic. However, lets be sensible - does the wind remain sufficiently constant for anyone to worry about mag v true, except in very northerly latitudes?

P-T-Gamekeeper
12th Jan 2005, 21:43
Back in RAF pilot training, the senior met officer said "The metman always tells the truth!!"

So TAF/METAR = True
ATC wind/ATIS=Mag

Can be a big gotcha in some ares with 30-40 deg deviation. It can really mess up x-wind calcs if you are not thinking straight.

LEM
14th Jan 2005, 06:57
I remeber my Met instructor, long time ago, saying "Only the controller on final gives the magnetic wind"...

Capt Claret
14th Jan 2005, 12:01
LEM

We're in different countries on different continents. I find it hard to believe that such a fundmental difference would be accepted, that "Only the controller on final gives the magnetic wind"

From Jepp Australian Airway Manual, Meteorology AU-31, 1.1.3.2

1.1.3.1 Take-off and landing reports are included
on ATIS, where available, or passed to aircraft reporting
taxiing or inbound.
1.1.3.2 Take-off and landing reports contain, as
available:
a.wind velocity, with direction in degrees magnetic;

CosmosSchwartz
14th Jan 2005, 13:02
CC - We are the same as you. I've heard similar phrases by instructors as LEM says, I'd say it's more abbreviated than incorrect! Basically, if the wind is given by the tower (including ATIS), then it's magnetic.

Mister Geezer
19th Jan 2005, 22:01
Just to throw a spanner in the works an ATCO at a UK airfield said that ATIS is in true and that it changed about a year ago. The exchange took place on the radio but I was not the only pilot on the frequency that chipped in and said that he thought it was magnetic.

Tried to find a reference in MATS. The original CAP 493 states that ATIS is is magnetic but that issue dates back to 2002. Too tired to trawl through all the issue updates at the moment!

Bart O'Lynn
20th Jan 2005, 00:09
If i remember clearly atis (read tower recording) is mag but a metar (read met chaps) is true. however i believe the observations at man are now being done by the tower instead of the met bloke near the fire engine so who knows, or cares unless you are landing rwy 36 at the south pole or rwy 18 at the north pole.

dv8
21st Jan 2005, 20:21
If you pick up the BOH ATIS they will specify that the surface wind is magnetic

DoMePlease
28th Jan 2005, 01:16
I always remember ATIS winds to be magnetic because runways are aligned magnetically and so they wind should also be magnetic to make a comparison for your landing and takeoffs.

Medwin
28th Jan 2005, 03:54
There's only 2 reports that are magnetic;
ATIS (tower) because runways are magnetic and
High altitude reports(winds aloft) because the airways are also magnetic.
Everything else is true.
Preparing for CX eh. You should ask altyre for the answer to his question.
BTW, you can find this info in the FAR AIM if you can buy it there in south africa or just log on to FAA.GOV.

Cheers