PDA

View Full Version : Transfering your hours

CraigStothard
11th Jan 2005, 10:09
Hi

This may seem a silly question, but:-

I am a student PPL in the UK (14hrs so far)

Me and my wife are moving to BC for work(me construction/she bank).

could my hours be taken into consideration or would I need to start again?

sorry if this is obvious, (new to aviation)

thanks

Craig

fougapilot
11th Jan 2005, 12:00
Craig,

Transport Canada will only recognize experience after a licence/permit has been awarded. But the good thing on your part is that you have only 14hrs. Minimum of 45hours to get a PPL in Canada with national average of 55 to 60hrs. What that probably mean is you'll end up doing only the 45hrs in Canada since you have covered the basics. If you had had completed 40hrs, you would still need to do 45 more...

What I would do if I were you is get some paperwork, other then your personal logbook, get a copy of your Pilot Training Records or even a letter from your instructor listing all the training completed and proficiency level reached. It may not save you many hours, but will help your Canadian instructor establish you level.

Hope this helps

D

CraigStothard
11th Jan 2005, 14:43
thanks for the reply, at least it is cheaper in Canada than the UK:ok:

do you know any good flying clubs around Vancouver?

fougapilot
11th Jan 2005, 21:01
Unfortunately for you, I live on the east side of the country. But I did check with a local flight instructor whom just went through a situation similiar to yours just last week and it seems I was mistaken. Since spring 2003, Transport Canada will recongnise flight training conducted in another country provided it is well documented (ie certified correct by the training establishment).

Hopes this help

D

oldebloke
12th Jan 2005, 00:28
Lots of schools just south o'Vancouver at ZBB boundary bay(ex WW2 training base).....Try www.proifr.com(covers all aspects o'training including Helicopter)...But quite a few training establishments on the field.....
all the best:ok:

Slapshot
13th Jan 2005, 15:28
I would recommend ProIFR as well. John Montgomery runs a great operation there. Private to Multi-IFR, Helcopters, Mountain Check outs...

Did an IFR renewal way back in '85 with John. Glad to see he's still running a great business!

CraigStothard
17th Jan 2005, 14:09
Thanks for all the responses chaps,

MLS-12D
17th Jan 2005, 22:09
Since spring 2003, Transport Canada will recongnise flight training conducted in another country provided it is well documented (ie certified correct by the training establishment).Contact Richard Schobesberger ([email protected]) at Transport Canada for advice and guidance.