PDA

View Full Version : Lost Log Book

oldschooljenko
7th Jan 2005, 09:06
Just a quick one guy and girls, if your log book and license was inside your car when it was stolen what do you do? Does CASA keep records? Or am I starting from scratch again? Has anyone had a similar thing happen or got any advice for me
cheers

takeonme
7th Jan 2005, 09:21
Mate i was in the CASA office today asking sort of the same thing.

On my travels my logbook has been completly trashed and coffee spilt on it and the like. I wanted to rewrite it nice and neat and was wondering what the go was. The bird reckons I have to keep it until I fill in the last page then move on. Anyway, enough of my little adventure.....

Its not quite the same problem as you I know. Personally I think the only answer is going back to all your old schools and employers and gather up all your hours and start from scratch. CASA dont keep accurate records of your hours, only qual's which you have on your licence anyway.

Good luck with it.

T.O.M

maxgrad
7th Jan 2005, 14:06
I do the standard logbook and then fill out the xcell spreadsheets I've made. Has the same entries as my logbook but extra pages with graphs.trends, tot times etc.
I also keep backups

The Messiah
7th Jan 2005, 14:15
CASA will only credit you for hours required to hold the licences you hold.

eg. if you hold an ATPL that is 1500 etc etc.

Good luck.

CaptainToBe
7th Jan 2005, 16:47
Photocopy your logbook. I snuck into the red carpet club in San Fransisco a few days ago when I was there and used their free photocopier. Mind you it took me about 20 minutes to copy what I did (about 4 years worth) and i still have more to photocopy. Once I have it all, im going to put it into a very safe place so if my logbook is indeed stolen, i have a copy of everything I have done, and at the most all i will have to recreate is the last 12 months.

On Track
7th Jan 2005, 18:47
I had to ask CASA the same question some years ago when my car was broken into, and my log book and other valuable items stolen.

I was advised the onus was on me to prove that I had flown any hours for which I was claiming credit, and that the best way to do that was to keep photocopies of every page or have a backup on computer.

Fortunately my flight bag and all its contents were found several days later not far from where it was taken.

oldschooljenko
7th Jan 2005, 21:30
Thanks for the tips everyone, luckily it all turned up this morning, oh yeah life is good again!

Capt Fathom
7th Jan 2005, 22:14
Or get yourself a Statutory Declaration.

Photocopying the last page of your logbook every so often sounds like a good idea.

Di_Vosh
7th Jan 2005, 23:02
I photocopy my logbook AND keep electronic copies.

Logbooks are way too valuable to not have back-ups

DIVOSH

The Other Half
8th Jan 2005, 23:29
Di_Vosh: Likewise.

Logbooks are my most valuable material possession along side photos.

First to save in case of a house fire!

Cheers :D

Taggert
9th Jan 2005, 05:09
I'm with Di Vosh. Similarly if you have an electronic copy, Zip it and email it to a mate as another backup copy.

;)

Paint The Sky Pink!
9th Jan 2005, 05:24
Huh!!!!! I know a pilot who claimed twice that his car was broken into and his flight bag was stolen the night before a CASA audit!!!! I think the first time was alright, but the second time, a few eyebrows were raised!!!!

Pink

Super Cecil
11th Jan 2005, 10:06
Does everybody carry their logbook (s) with them?

CaptainToBe
14th Jan 2005, 02:51
Super Cecil - yes i do

What programs do you use to keep the logbooks electronically? I downloaded Command Logbook (trial version) but i must say that it didnt impress me that much. Am i missing something?

Highbypasss
15th Jan 2005, 14:16
I collect spores, moles and fungus.............

.......................................H.:cool:

Wing Root
16th Jan 2005, 02:19
CaptainToBe,

I use a great excell based logbook created by fellow PPRuNer P-Air. It's good because it has the same layout as the common ATC Logbook so it all matches up.
Since P-Air hasn't replied yet here is where you can get it...
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pairlawrie/ :ok:

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
30th Jan 2005, 19:50
As others have said, the absolute minimum backup that every student pilot should be encouraged to carry out from day one is to photocopy each completed page of logbook (and perhaps whenever significant milestones are achieved).

Theft from car seems like the most common cause for lost records, but the house fire scenario could easily happen to anyone. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how, the loss of a logbook is not something you can put a value on. Without a backup of some sort, you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. :uhoh: :ugh:

It makes sense to keep a backup at another location (locker at work, parent's place...).

Believe me, it is a real pain in the @r$e trying to recreate from old flying receipts (if you've kept them) and you can never recover those occasions when you lucked in and scored 20 minutes of dual in some exotic aircraft.

If you're lucky enough to still be in touch with your instructors, they may be able to help you with the details of lessons you flew with them. This is where an Excel spreadsheet is useful. You can sort by name and send them the dates of the flights you did with them and ask them to look up their records and fill in the detail for you. (Remember that this will still require some effort on their part and some sort of compensation for their time should be offered.) :ok: